Author Topic: Accumulative Damage  (Read 2362 times)

Offline Huscarlton_Banks

• Earl
  • Renown: 404
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
  • Blatant nudge spammer
    • View Profile
Accumulative Damage
« on: September 14, 2014, 12:28:30 pm »
+2
Not really suggesting this as a feature since players generally die too quickly for a system like this to make much of a difference, but it could be food for thought for M:BG.

Basically this idea would involve repeated effective strikes to a bone/group of bones simulating greater sensitivity/damaged armor in that region, without something that feels awkward like crippling/bleeding.

Human Agents get slots for each logical group of "bones". (eg. shoulder.R, upperarm.R, forearm.R, hand.R would all belong in one group.)
The values of these slots start out at 0, and get reset each "life".

Example scenario:

Player Y has 50 armor.

Player X hits Player Y in bone "calf.L", and deals 50 initial raw damage. Since this "bone" group (left leg) was undamaged, raw damage does not get changed. After armor, it deals 10 effective damage.

Player Y's left leg "bone" group slot has 1/2 of the effective damage added to it, increasing it to 5.

Player X hits Player Y in bone "thigh.L", dealing 50 raw damage again. Since this "bone" group (left leg) was previously damaged, Player Y takes extra damage, increasing the raw damage to 55. After armor, it deals 13 effective damage.

Player Y's left leg "bone" group slot has 1/2 of the effective damage added to it, increasing it to 12.

Player X hits Player Y in bone "calf.L" again, dealing 50 raw damage again. Since this "bone" group (left leg) was previously damaged, Player Y takes extra damage, increasing the raw damage to 62. After armor, it deals 17 effective damage.

...And so on until death.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
Re: Accumulative Damage
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 07:45:27 pm »
+3
Think the term you are looking for is ablative.  Interesting and I like the idea myself, but hard to implement & balance in games.  Would love to see plate actually offer protection from most weapons and degrade as it takes damage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ablative_armor

Offline Huscarlton_Banks

• Earl
  • Renown: 404
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
  • Blatant nudge spammer
    • View Profile
Re: Accumulative Damage
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 09:19:37 pm »
Yep, that describes the effect I'm looking for on armor, though it would also apply without armor to simulate a specific body area being too damaged for you to continue fighting.

I guess it might make sense for it to only apply to primary weapon arm/legs/head vs the torso except for blunt trauma without armor though.