Author Topic: [Video] Melee: Battlegrounds - First Glimpse  (Read 5340 times)

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
Re: [Video] Melee: Battlegrounds - First Glimpse
« Reply #75 on: September 12, 2014, 01:02:21 am »
+1
IIRC, the idea was to have full 360 degree attack dirs, rather than the 8 we have now. We'll see how this pans out. Regardless, it's already better than WotR/WotV and somehow more skilly than Chivalry.

Offline lombardsoup

• Earl
  • Renown: 387
  • Infamy: 222
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 12, 2014, 01:06:07 am »
+1
IIRC, the idea was to have full 360 degree attack dirs, rather than the 8 we have now. We'll see how this pans out. Regardless, it's already better than WotR/WotV and somehow more skilly than Chivalry.

All three of those other games are left click spam, so you really don't have to do much to beat them in the gameplay department.

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #77 on: September 12, 2014, 01:06:27 am »
IIRC, the idea was to have full 360 degree attack dirs
This. I like this.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #78 on: September 12, 2014, 09:00:37 am »
8 total or 8 of each?  If so how does that work.  Are you saying there is some sort of left/up, rightup, leftdown, and rightdown swings and blocks (corners?)

my old ass won't be able to handle that much stuff going on I tink...gonna need autoblock 2.0 enhanced version
8 each. 8 attack directions with 8 fitting block directions.
But it ain't as bad as it sounds. The game will (probably) differ between a full block where you hit the full appropriate block and a "half block" where you generally got the right direction of the block but "just" parry due to the physics. Something like that...
But as ptx wrote, everything is more or less still changing and moving. I'm just trying to give a general idea about it.
I think the 360° thing is different than one might think - iirc the animations are supposed to blend in a way that it looks like a 360° system but with 8 directions? That's just me more guessing than knowing tho.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Ozin

• Duke
  • Renown: 584
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • IRC nick: Ozin
« Reply #79 on: September 12, 2014, 01:11:57 pm »
+2
8 each. 8 attack directions with 8 fitting block directions.
But it ain't as bad as it sounds. The game will (probably) differ between a full block where you hit the full appropriate block and a "half block" where you generally got the right direction of the block but "just" parry due to the physics. Something like that...
But as ptx wrote, everything is more or less still changing and moving. I'm just trying to give a general idea about it.
I think the 360° thing is different than one might think - iirc the animations are supposed to blend in a way that it looks like a 360° system but with 8 directions? That's just me more guessing than knowing tho.

The "360° system" for the lack of a better term, is already working. I'll quote an older message from the alpha forum:
Technically it is 12 attack animations: 2 for [45,135,225,315]º and one for [0,90,180,270]º, where 315-45º are considered overheads, 45-135º right swing, and so on. When you attack, the engine blends between the closest two animations, the balance between them depending on the exact attack angle.

Offline kwhy

• Earl
  • Renown: 302
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • trash
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ted_the_garbage_man, missANGY, missBENDaKNEE, missAGAIN, Moove, Fallback, LLpewJ, Lets_ride_bikes
« Reply #80 on: September 12, 2014, 05:07:16 pm »
Looking at the video of the guys moving or *running* around in the arena looking map....

Is there some type of sprint mechanism in place or being played with in Melee Battlegrounds?

After putting some hours into BOE mod and using their sprint mechanism (before they nerfed the attack swing) this seems like a huge step in solving what amounts to *keeping range in check*.

Whats the word on movement in M:BG?  the video looks like there is a huge speed boost on some players. 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #81 on: September 12, 2014, 11:22:29 pm »
+1
The "360° system" for the lack of a better term, is already working. I'll quote an older message from the alpha forum:

It took me way too long to wrap my head around how those angles corresponded to those swings. Generally speaking, a coordinate system is set up as follows:

|
                 |
                 |
180 ------------------ 0
                 |
                 |
                 |

in academics, so it took me far longer than I would like to admit to realize that the 0/360 degrees point was at the top. I'm too much (or maybe too little) of a nerd, apparently.

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #82 on: September 12, 2014, 11:40:32 pm »
+1
It took me way too long to wrap my head around how those angles corresponded to those swings. Generally speaking, a coordinate system is set up as follows:

|
                 |
                 |
180 ------------------ 0
                 |
                 |
                 |

in academics, so it took me far longer than I would like to admit to realize that the 0/360 degrees point was at the top. I'm too much (or maybe too little) of a nerd, apparently.

Way too much of a nerd. Watch one hour of the x-games and you'll know what a 360 is :)

Kudos for admitting it.  Now it's my turn.  I never really realized that a pickle is just a pickled cucumber.  One time when I was drinking with friends I asked if pickles grew on a bush or in the ground  :oops:
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 13, 2014, 12:00:59 am »
THIS BETTER FUCKING PAY OFF.

my old friend

Offline Ozin

• Duke
  • Renown: 584
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • IRC nick: Ozin
« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2014, 12:42:23 am »
+3

|
                 |
                 |
180 ------------------ 0
                 |
                 |
                 |

Our exposure to the warband module system has all made us a bit crazy. I worry about chadz and cmp sometimes..