Author Topic: nudge and shield drop animations  (Read 561 times)

Offline Jack1

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 231
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jack1_, Abbud_Amari, The_Doc, Gottlob_Kohlman
  • IRC nick: Risen_Jack
nudge and shield drop animations
« on: September 07, 2014, 06:48:24 am »
+1
there are a few animations that have been abused for a little while that I think need to be addressed.

1. if you are using a shield and use a quickdrop key to drop you shield and then swing it only shows the second part of the animation, the release animation, and only allows a split second to block. it is so small that it is unblockable due to some people's pings.

2. if you nudge with a shield and switch weapons then swing it doesn't have a draw animation to keep the person from swinging. it also allows to only show the release animation if timed right.

(click to show/hide)

Edit: IMO the nudge and shield drop animations need to be tweaked so that neither of these are possable.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 08:49:48 pm by Jack1 »
We're all nerds here, so it doesn't really matter.

Offline Huscarlton_Banks

• Earl
  • Renown: 404
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
  • Blatant nudge spammer
    • View Profile
Re: nudge and shield drop animations
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 07:15:15 am »
#2 actually works with any nudge, the only advantage a shield would have is that the weapon hand is concealed by larger shields.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
Re: nudge and shield drop animations
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 05:56:24 pm »
+3
2. if you nudge with a shield and switch weapons then swing it doesn't have a draw animation to keep the person from swinging. it also allows to only show the release animation if timed right.

This is indeed a "bug", but I don't consider it a balance issue as long as the shield nudge hitboxes are so wonky. It's a big risk to attempt a shield nudge, because even nudges that appear to connect perfectly with your opponent often don't, and this is heavily exacerbated as ping increases above 40ms (I know, because my ping fluctuates between 38ms and 120ms). Whiffed nudges are now the #1 thing that get me killed, but at the same time they are my #1 weapon, so from a risk/reward standpoint it's fairly balanced right now.

Compare this bug to the bug that causes polearm animations to routinely skip frames. This introduces major balance issues, and is the reason melee players are switching from 2h to pole in droves. It's just so much harder to block an animation that skips right from ready position to strike position.