Author Topic: Battle map rotation overhaul - Community input required!  (Read 2812 times)

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Battle map rotation overhaul - Community input required!
« on: August 04, 2014, 05:18:43 pm »
+20
Heyo, I decided to revise the map rotation and I desperately need anyone's input, the rotation is shared between NA and EU, on what to revise exactly.

http://forum.melee.org/scene-editing/battle-map-rotation-overhaul/new/#new

That's the thread. Keep it constructive, keep it tidy and improve the map rotation. I would've done it in General Discussion as the Scene Editing board is reliably ignored, but I have very convenient Moderator powers there. Therefore I shall be bumping this thread for the coming period.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 05:34:48 pm by Teeth »

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Battle map rotation overhaul - Community input required!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 06:46:21 pm »
+4
I've never been a big fan of open plains maps, but we could probably do with a few every so often just to change the pace and make things more interesting

Could we have a few different map lists that we swap every so often? Theres loads of old maps i'd like to play that I can't really describe that well and don't know the name of, but would be nice to play them occasionally. There used to be a few snowy maps that were quite good. Oh and remember that one with the huge ice lake in the middle you could fight on, with some ruins around on the sides? Also the one that looked like a WW2 battlefield. Just a smallish muddy looking flatish map
If you have ranged troubles use this:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Gmnotutoo

• King
  • Renown: 1387
  • Infamy: 229
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Space Pope of BIRD CLAN
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Unicorns
  • Game nicks: Gmnotutoo
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 08:09:24 pm »
+4
cs_assault (1.6 version)

THIS IS A MANLY CLAN. FOR MANLY MEN. DOING MANLY THINGS.

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 08:17:25 pm »
+6
More than a different rotationn we want less rain and darkness. my EYES ARE BLEEDING.
I don't know enough

Offline Fearvich

• Knight
  • Renown: 50
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Frisian Freedom
  • Game nicks: Feervich, Omeso, Fearvic, Vich.
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 08:24:22 pm »
+4
My computer sucks. Less flora and useless piles of war-torn junk pooped onto the battlefield.

Offline Mr.K.

• Earl
  • Renown: 474
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmar Union
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 09:46:46 pm »
More than a different rotationn we want less rain and darkness. my EYES ARE BLEEDING.

^This

But also more open maps with natural cover. Not just totally flat, because no one likes cav rape, but also not these mountainous shitmaps where archers hide from cav on a vertical cliff and melee can only overhead because side swings get stuck. Something like the desert dunes map work well enough with a bit more cover like a few trees (not in the desert ofc) or rocks. And pleeeease get rid of the horrible horrible siege maps. Couple of times playing my cav character I've actually had to go to EU2 to play cav to even get out of the spawn...

And one last thing. Just get rid of the whole battle game mode and tweak it to something like more open conquest type setting, but a bit longer spawn times and rounds. Something where some parts of the map are good for cavalry and some parts for ranged. Maybe give an option to take down walls with a catapult or build a siege tower to help the attack to make it even better. Could even give us ladders back if it works. You know, stuff we love about Strat, but doesn't work on EU1/2 because the rounds are too short.

Offline Teeth

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 12:09:44 am »
+1
I've never been a big fan of open plains maps, but we could probably do with a few every so often just to change the pace and make things more interesting

Could we have a few different map lists that we swap every so often? Theres loads of old maps i'd like to play that I can't really describe that well and don't know the name of, but would be nice to play them occasionally. There used to be a few snowy maps that were quite good. Oh and remember that one with the huge ice lake in the middle you could fight on, with some ruins around on the sides? Also the one that looked like a WW2 battlefield. Just a smallish muddy looking flatish map
The ice one is Peipus Lake, it was alright, probably still in the files. The one looking like a battlefield is called Horrors of the Battlefield. I thought it was no fun to play with too little cover, I always just got shot and nobody really wanted to charge. It also had these little tree stumps that were quite hard to see, but did stop horses. Both are still in the files though so put a suggestion in the thread for them if you want. As for the snowy maps, you could look through the maps in the Scene editor or search for villages in the snowy parts of the Strategus map.

Doing multiple rotations that are changed every few weeks, so you get a batch of maps you haven't played for a while now and then, has been talked off, but without automated server restarts there is no point. The servers don't get restarted too often and without a restart the map rotation doesn't change. So it is one single rotation, a big one though with currently about 80 maps.

But also more open maps with natural cover. Not just totally flat, because no one likes cav rape, but also not these mountainous shitmaps where archers hide from cav on a vertical cliff and melee can only overhead because side swings get stuck. Something like the desert dunes map work well enough with a bit more cover like a few trees (not in the desert ofc) or rocks. And pleeeease get rid of the horrible horrible siege maps. Couple of times playing my cav character I've actually had to go to EU2 to play cav to even get out of the spawn...
This is mostly too vague, I need specific adjustments, not guidelines. Though I do intend to purge all the maps that are too indoors.

My computer sucks. Less flora and useless piles of war-torn junk pooped onto the battlefield.
It's an old game, apart from guidelines to keep the amount of trees low I think I can't help you.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 12:13:57 am by Teeth »

Offline darmaster

• King
  • Renown: 1398
  • Infamy: 297
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguards
  • Game nicks: Retsamrad
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 01:09:19 am »
+4
nord town, port assault and village need to be in, bestest maps.

Offline Screaming Idiot

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: HoC_Screaming_Idiot
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 01:16:02 am »
+5
nord town, port assault and village need to be in, bestest maps.

Also Field by the River.

Adressing the issue for cav in Siege maps, I think more maps with open fields but also with large walls and buildings need to be implemented, as each player can move through different parts of the map that best complement their build while fulfilling their desired objective.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 01:20:00 am by Screaming Idiot »

Offline Aprikose

• Count
  • Renown: 173
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JugendFeuerwehr
  • Game nicks: Great Bascinet!
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 11:43:27 am »
+2
Native maps should me twice in the rotation. They are simply the best!
click it!visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Nordwolf

• Earl
  • Renown: 492
  • Infamy: 46
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Nordwolf, 4 other Nordwolfs, Wolf_in_the_Van Victory, Earngrim, Core, Farewell, Akaio_BlackSpear +**
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2014, 01:06:07 am »
"Stay up!" - me humbly shouting at the monitor to bump this thread

Offline Teeth

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2014, 12:21:08 pm »
+1
Still looking for a variety of input, I posted 8 old maps, tell me if you want them back.

http://forum.melee.org/scene-editing/battle-map-rotation-overhaul/15/

This is your shot to remove that godawful map you hate so much.

Native maps should me twice in the rotation. They are simply the best!
Except they are not, many have terrible balance, are too small for 100 players and cater towards camping. Don't mistake familiarity with quality, them Turkish basement dwellers had no idea what cRPG pub battle is and it really shows.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 12:36:34 pm by Teeth »

Offline Strudog

• Marshall
  • Renown: 922
  • Infamy: 361
  • A Dog
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Britfag
  • Game nicks: Strudog
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2014, 12:26:04 pm »
yes to all of them apart from two rivers, these were some of my favourite maps, have no clue why anyone would want to remove them.
This is the internet.
Men are men
Women are men
Little girls are FBI agents.
Those are the rules no?

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2014, 05:39:55 am »
Adding Field By The River is my only suggestion. Best map in-game m8.

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline Strudog

• Marshall
  • Renown: 922
  • Infamy: 361
  • A Dog
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Britfag
  • Game nicks: Strudog
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2014, 11:00:47 am »
Adding Field By The River is my only suggestion. Best map in-game m8.

One of the most common maps on EU1
This is the internet.
Men are men
Women are men
Little girls are FBI agents.
Those are the rules no?