Author Topic: Battle map rotation overhaul  (Read 7165 times)

Offline Viriathus

• Count
  • Renown: 273
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player
  • !TI SLLIW DOG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Crusader_Alliance
  • Game nicks: Templar_Viriathus
Re: Battle map rotation overhaul
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2014, 03:23:48 pm »
Tydeus, adjusting the Motf spawns is a matter of minutes, rly.

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2014, 01:15:55 am »
Tydeus, adjusting the Motf spawns is a matter of minutes, rly.
Right, but it means they shouldn't be added back in unless he's updating the maps. I wasn't able to discern whether or not he was willing to do any more than just alter the rotation.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Andswaru

• Duke
  • Renown: 554
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • SeaRaider_
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen of Fenada / SeaRaiders
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Andswaru
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2014, 02:35:47 pm »
Celtic circle, just saw it on the chinese tourny thinger, bring it back!
Smooth is the admin NA deserves. Not being that much better, EU deserves Thomek.
[18:25] <@chadz> soon(tm)

Offline _Tak_

• Earl
  • Renown: 459
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Retired Dev of FI2
    • View Profile
    • mod :D
  • Game nicks: LC
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2014, 10:54:19 am »
also can we have more bigger maps? (Not Open Plain Maps) for Cavs, but bigger maps that is balanced for all class perhaps? Like more village ones. Some city maps are too small and end very quickly, would like to have more bigger maps so more ticks and exp

Offline Teeth

• Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2014, 10:01:58 am »
+1
Okay I updated this thing and actually went ahead and commited most changes to the server rotation, because some removals are probably done sooner rather than later.

Changes
- Added Domremy, Covered Crossing, Citadel Ruins and Upon the Rocks
- Removed Rivendell and Blue Forest
- Canceled addition of Sandi Boush

Two maps I am still torn on are Down by the River and Trouble in the Neighbourhood.

Here is a modified version I made of Trouble, but honestly it looks like a ranged fest. I think the difficulty of fighting in the center due to the water basically ruins this map quite thoroughly. I'd probably rather remove it anyway.
(click to show/hide)

Here is some feedback from a different thread that should be in here, thanks. Maps I marked in red are definitely on the chopping block. Provide some input if you will.

Anyway I went over some of the map rotation a while ago, I think some of these maps are no longer in the rotation and obviously there is way more in it that I don't have down.  also i'm sure nobody would edit the maps themselves, so most of the ones i'd just remove.

(click to show/hide)

But there is an easy pattern to tell for what makes bad maps that most people I know agree with. Hills are awful. Elevated camping positions are awful. Flat ground with no cover is awful. Narrow pathways/corridors are awful.

Also, whatever happened to that old map which was a square village in the desert, with both teams having a way to go up some stairs and shoot down from their side, but the infantry having to go through 2 archways and meet in the middle, or off to the sides? It was very straight-forward.
Does not ring a bell at all, perhaps a drawing could help?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 10:14:24 am by Teeth »

Offline darmaster

• King
  • Renown: 1398
  • Infamy: 297
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguards
  • Game nicks: Retsamrad
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2014, 02:38:14 pm »
pueblo village and trouble in the neighbourhood were fine imo, sometimes it's ok to cut with the "most OP class ever" (riding classes); upon the rocks brings too much QQ ranged imo, i remember it and it was mostly a "wait untill they run out of ammo or untill some of our stupid teammates charge" map, the rest seems fine, happy to see village back. nord town and port assault must be in as twice as now imo. and remove snowy villages, at least some: they're utter shit.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Teeth

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2014, 03:25:55 pm »
+2
pueblo village and trouble in the neighbourhood were fine imo, sometimes it's ok to cut with the "most OP class ever" (riding classes)
I disagree, if someone who wants to play cav for about half an hour before he goes to bed, I think he should be able to. Having a dozen maps where cav is tricky to play is fine, but having many maps where cav is literally impossible to play, I don't think that's good form for a battle server.

remove snowy villages, at least some: they're utter shit.
Which ones and why are they shit?

Offline darmaster

• King
  • Renown: 1398
  • Infamy: 297
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguards
  • Game nicks: Retsamrad
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2014, 04:09:09 pm »
most of those i've seen in battle, these days if i'll play i'll update; as for the cav maps i said once in a while, 1 map out of 6/7 maybe?

Offline Jacko

• Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fffnanguard!
  • Game nicks: Jacko
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2014, 08:08:37 pm »
+1
Having made a lot of the maps in question I thought I'd pitch in with a few words.

Trouble in the Neighbourhood was initially made as a CTF map, and then later quick fixed to become a battle map. Generally I think the map plays fine for whatever class and I don't, as others have mentioned, see the water in the middle as a problem. It's a very deliberate choice that 'forces' fighting to happen somewhere else. Circling might be an issue, it's a part of it's CTF upbringing. Can't say I've seen it as a problem myself, these years it's been in rotation. Admittedly I don't play much at all anymore, so if it does play as bad as you say Teeth, I'd just remove it, no need to butcher it and remove the walls and what not.

Down By the River is chaotic and you don't quite know where the enemy is, for good and bad. From what I've seen it plays good regardless of class (and when I was active I spectated a lot. Only real way to know what works with a map and what doesn't). Knowing that people remove vegetation really kills is for me though. I'm curious, what is it people find bad with it?

Upon the Rock I removed a long time ago because the hill near a spawn point was very favourable for camping. If that is fixed somehow I'd add it, but otherwise I'd not bother with it.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 12:40:09 am by Jacko »
Monkeys!

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2014, 02:43:08 pm »
The problem with Down By the River is people don't know where to go and split up really easily. For a pub people need a sense of direction and should be able to have line of sight to team mates. Either people go in the forest and get lost and have random fights, or they go to the open area which is basically just a small arena. There isn't really much strategy then if people avoid the forest, and if people do go in the forest there is no real teamplay since people don't get a sense of whether they are strong enough to push or should retreat since theres poor line of site. It just encourages a very random playstyle with people going all over the map
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline Andswaru

• Duke
  • Renown: 554
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • SeaRaider_
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen of Fenada / SeaRaiders
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Andswaru
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2014, 10:59:29 am »
The problem with Down By the River is people don't know where to go and split up really easily. For a pub people need a sense of direction and should be able to have line of sight to team mates. Either people go in the forest and get lost and have random fights, or they go to the open area which is basically just a small arena. There isn't really much strategy then if people avoid the forest, and if people do go in the forest there is no real teamplay since people don't get a sense of whether they are strong enough to push or should retreat since theres poor line of site. It just encourages a very random playstyle with people going all over the map

Thats actually what I like about Down by the River, it is just something different instead of the normal blobbing. In my opinion 1 or 2 maps like this really add something different to the rotation.
Smooth is the admin NA deserves. Not being that much better, EU deserves Thomek.
[18:25] <@chadz> soon(tm)

Offline GOBBLINKINGREATLEADER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 515
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Daruvian, GOBBLINKINGGREATLEADER
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2014, 02:41:35 pm »
I'd just like to note that these changes still haven't taken place for NA 1. Presumably we need a server restart?

Offline Teeth

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2014, 02:52:13 pm »
Correct

Offline GOBBLINKINGREATLEADER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 515
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Daruvian, GOBBLINKINGGREATLEADER
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2014, 05:16:27 pm »
+1
well make them do it damn it teeth

Offline Viriathus

• Count
  • Renown: 273
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player
  • !TI SLLIW DOG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Crusader_Alliance
  • Game nicks: Templar_Viriathus
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2014, 07:22:38 pm »
dont remove Down by the River nor Crop Roptarion, maybe they dont play perfectly well but theyre still good maps.

Changes
- Added Domremy, Covered Crossing, Citadel Ruins and Upon the Rocks
- Removed Rivendell and Blue Forest
- Canceled addition of Sandi Boush
... Agreed.

BTW Teeth, can we get an updated list with scrn shots of all maps on rotation? just updated that thread Fips made, its rly usefull.