Poll

Does horse archery require a nerf?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Horse archery is too strong  (Read 28202 times)

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Horse archery is too strong
« on: July 12, 2014, 01:17:08 pm »
+53
(click to show/hide)

For some reason my screenshot is a little smudgy, but I hope it is readable still. The top two players on the left team are horse archers. They have literally carried their team some rounds, outscore anyone else on their team and have a lot of kills. This is not an isolated occurrence, they have been playing horse archer for a while and they continously yield similar results. Granted, they seem fairly good at it and probably have very high level builds. Yet for a class that is so poorly implemented into the overall game design as it has no counters, consistently delays, and is literally zero fun to fight against, this level of strength is absolutely unacceptable. Also notice how their team lost 4 rounds, yet they have less deaths. Also, it was raining this entire round.

In my opinion horse archery should probably be plainly removed. If it wasn't for the historical precedent, no game designer would ever think of putting such a class in such a game. If horse archery has to stay, which is understandable, it should not be a higher than top tier class able to carry teams. Any amount of horse archers is detrimental to the experience of the larger playerbase, a high amount of horse archers is disastrous. The grumbles on the server speak for itself. There are already a number of threads created on the subject, one was created as I was typing this.

Here is one with some discussion on creative ways to nerf horse archery
http://forum.melee.org/game-balance-discussion/suggestions-for-nerfing-horse-archers/

I just hope to draw attention from Tydeus or San about this situation by going all General Discussion and I hope they understand something should be done. There are many, many ways to nerf HA, feel free to discuss them. I don't reallly care how, as long as a nerf is done. Here, have a useless poll.

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Horse archery is too strong
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 01:20:49 pm »
+17
Does horse archery require a nerf?

Remove ranged cav from the mod?

Offline PsychoTwins

• Earl
  • Renown: 453
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: FarmerBob, NinjaBob, 20PingIsHardBob, StrIsHardBob, HaxorBob
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 01:23:49 pm »
+1
Remove ranged cav from the mod?

Not possible  :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Here, dear crpg folk, we have an honest man who doesn't conceal the truth out of the fear of getting nerfed. He surely deserves a round of heartfelt applause.

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 234
  • cRPG Player
  • (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻. take all my upvotes! Part-time retard
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild Enthousiast,
  • Game nicks: Wy can't I upvote my own posts, Im a fucken genius, yo.
  • IRC nick: Joseph_Porta
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 01:27:44 pm »
http://forum.melee.org/suggestions-corner/archery-overhaul-62442/

In this suggestion I propose that all bows require 2 slots, the top tier bows 3 slots, and a decrease in missile speed.
Also 5 arrows in a bodkin quiver.
Lower tier bows wont be able to use top tier arrows.

• HA will have less arrows, so theyll run out sooner.
  • no mindless armour piercing spam - direct buff to heavy infantry and heavy cavalry. Heavy cav will be able to counter once more. Plate armor will serve its purpose.
  • lower tier (2 slot bows) will not be able to use top tier arrows at all - lower tier should be lower tier, not headshot machines with uber pewpew accuracy.

Also damage is increased - indivudual arrows will have more effect.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 02:22:01 pm by Joseph Porta »
I loot corpses of their golden teeth.
But he'll be around somewhere between Heaven and The Devil, because neither of them will take him in, and he'll be farting loudly and singing a filthy song.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™

Offline darmaster

• King
  • Renown: 1398
  • Infamy: 297
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguards
  • Game nicks: Retsamrad
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 01:28:52 pm »
+1
if I was able to create threads like this in english instead of my direct "nerf HA cause OP" people would know my ideas aren't that bad. I might hire someone to write a level 31 STF threa.

On topic yes, I agree, it's obviously OP; a class that can deal 36 cut damage + 40% or 28 pierce damage +40% (I assumed they had 5 pd), moving around with OP horses such as arabian war horse (yes it's OP it can almost dodge arrows better than infantry with 8 riding) and shooting from distance is OP; another broken thing is bump damage by horses.and finally, HA shouldn't be able to use heavy horses.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Switchtense

• King
  • Renown: 1137
  • Infamy: 137
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • poking you where the sun dont shine!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Unicorns, BIRD CLAN BEST CLAN!
  • Game nicks: All sorts of Switch's
  • IRC nick: Switchtense
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 01:53:19 pm »
+7
http://forum.melee.org/suggestions-corner/archery-overhaul-62442/

In this suggestion I propose that all bows require 2 slots, the top tier bows 3 slots, and a decrease in missile speed.
Also 5 arrows in a bodkin quiver.
Lower tier bows wont be able to use top tier arrows.

• HA will have less arrows, so theyll run out sooner.
  • no mindless armour piercing spam - direct buff to heavy infantry and heavy cavalry. Heavy cav will be able to counter once more. Plate armor will serve its purpose.
  • lower tier (2 slot bows) will not be able to use top tier arrows at all - lower tier should be lower tier, not headshot machines with uber pewpew accuracy.

So basically you want to destroy archery completely.

Only nerf Archery itself needs is maybe decrease the amount of arrows per quiver by 5 or so. A lvl30 archer can either be good at archery, or mediocre at archery and melee at the same time.

Horse Ranged however need a bigger nerf, since they do not need any melee capabilites because they can kite literally the whole 7 minutes. At the same time they do an incredible amount of damage due to speed bonus and bumping.
For all the non-believers, look no further than this thread for proof that while strat battles are won/lost in NA3/EU3, strat wars are won and lost on the forums.

Offline _GTX_

• I <3 Shemaforash
  • Duke
  • Renown: 535
  • Infamy: 960
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • O===((:::::::::::::::>
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmarunionen
  • Game nicks: GTX
  • IRC nick: GTX
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 01:59:32 pm »
+3
Yesterday that guy topped the scoreboards every single map aswell, no melee even came close to the amount of dmg that he was able to put out. I wish i took a screenshot of it.

Offline Apsod

• Duke
  • Renown: 698
  • Infamy: 98
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Donate a few denari to the farmers of Calradia!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Apsod
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 02:08:35 pm »
 :oops:
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 02:24:20 pm by Apsod »

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 234
  • cRPG Player
  • (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻. take all my upvotes! Part-time retard
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild Enthousiast,
  • Game nicks: Wy can't I upvote my own posts, Im a fucken genius, yo.
  • IRC nick: Joseph_Porta
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 02:20:12 pm »
So basically you want to destroy archery completely.

Only nerf Archery itself needs is maybe decrease the amount of arrows per quiver by 5 or so. A lvl30 archer can either be good at archery, or mediocre at archery and melee at the same time.

Horse Ranged however need a bigger nerf, since they do not need any melee capabilites because they can kite literally the whole 7 minutes. At the same time they do an incredible amount of damage due to speed bonus and bumping.

I forgot to mention that with it comes a significant damage buff, individual arrows will cause more damage but they will be more scarse - this will result in archers having bto think before they shoot - mindlessly shooting shields, for example, will be a waste of arrows.

This is in no way a nerf to archery, this is solely a way to make archery less unforgiving then it currently is.

Is it a nerf? Yes, to their playstyle - not their effectiveness. Will this destroy archers? Yes, but only those who cant aim for shit and are, up untill now, allowed to mindlessly spam their arrrows without any concern of going out of arrows.

Ps: if you really want to understand my suggestion id say read and comprehend the thread - I am 100% sure that this could work and bring more depth to archery.
I loot corpses of their golden teeth.
But he'll be around somewhere between Heaven and The Devil, because neither of them will take him in, and he'll be farting loudly and singing a filthy song.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™

Offline karasu

• King
  • Renown: 1751
  • Infamy: 316
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • D̶͎̳͒́͗͋ẹ͕̲̠̳̄̃͂ͤ͑ͮṃ̮͎̗̦̏̿͊ͤi̥̪̼͕ͦ̀̊̐ȗ̘rͩ͋̅̊gͭ̿̋
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 02:22:52 pm »
+3
Blame speed bonus mechanics.

Freakin' brilliant idea TW devs.

Offline Lord_Derpington

• Knight
  • Renown: 41
  • Infamy: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 02:23:45 pm »
+10
What the fuck don't the devs get? No one likes HA besides the people who play the OP fucking class. :evil:

Offline Kalp

• Marshall
  • Renown: 750
  • Infamy: 253
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Form ranks, you maggots!
    • View Profile
    • Kahhhaaargaar!!! Uuurrr!!!
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Kalp_the_Grey
  • IRC nick: Kalp
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 02:25:42 pm »
So there wasn't any capable crossbowman to shoot their horse or directly him ?
The goal of Strategus battles shouldnt be to deprive your enemies of players, but to have full roster both sides and have the gear/tactics/strategy win the day rather than lack of merc support.

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 02:28:42 pm »
Biggest thing for me personally playing a few gens with respec and alts I've been HA around 5 - 6 times and arrows have always been the biggest problem, maybe implement it in such a way that you can only have 1 stack of arrows while riding on a horse?

Offline Mendro

• Count
  • Renown: 236
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 02:37:17 pm »
+5
So there wasn't any capable crossbowman to shoot their horse or directly him ?

HA are shooting from far away + dodging. It's a miracle if you hit them.

Offline Strudog

• Marshall
  • Renown: 922
  • Infamy: 361
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • A Dog
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Britfag
  • Game nicks: Strudog
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2014, 02:42:41 pm »
+5
its the Yumi bow that is OP imo, not HA in general,all i see these days are HA's with yumis and its just so OP. Theres only one good HA atm imo and thats Otto knight who uses a horn bow and e id deadly and i dont mind.

NERF THE YUMI on horseback
This is the internet.
Men are men
Women are men
Little girls are FBI agents.
Those are the rules no?