Author Topic: anti spawnrape thingy on strat maps  (Read 3120 times)

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
Re: anti spawnrape thingy on strat maps
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2011, 10:06:23 pm »
That. It was never "abused" as far as I know. Any of the battles I participated in when spawnrape occured, it was due to human failure, most often a total lack of enough equipment, enough players or rarely a tactical mistake, but in the latter case the spawn rape was easily pushed back because it stretches the line too far into enemy territory. The only way to get a persistant spawn rape is in case of massive logistical fail. Although I'll agree it was totally friggin lame. When the entire enemy team but 1 guy has left and you have to kill him 250 times, it starts getting very, very boring. The way I see it if you get spawnraped for more than one minute your army should rout. A percentage of equip/troops remaining gets chopped off, you get to keep whatever's left.

I merced for more Strategus fights than just about anyone I know and it became most abusable when it wasn't the major 60 v 60 fights most people remember participating in.  The less popular fights (hours, location, etc.) where it might be 24 v. 12 this strategy was insanely abused to the point where you would see well-equipped armies of 2000 die to 100 because they basically got 5-6 guys to flank (they had twice as many live players, even though they had 1/20th the number of tags) and just sit on top of the one spawn point with a bunch of long polearms stabbing and overheading constantly without looking and all new spawned enemies would instantly die before even getting a chance to move and eventually half would quit because of how lame the fight became.  Most of the clans that did "great" on strategus abused the hell out of this game mechanic in all their fights. 

I don't know about you but I really enjoy strategy and tactics and I don't really see setting up 1 spawn point so people can easily spawn kill people as being a realistic tactic but more of game mechanic abuse that needs fixing.  It gets to the point where every major fight the directions would be to try to spawn camp the enemy team.  The easiest fix would be to have a minimum of 3 spawn points per side and the problem would be solved as allies from the other spawn points could attack those spawn camping the third locale.

Also, for the guy that asked, it was a 3 second spawn timer so every 3 seconds you would respawn after dying unless you hit the equipment screen which would stop you from respawning until you left that screen (which would often be used by people just getting frustrated with the most boring and annoying aspect of the old strategus -spawn raping, it was even boring for the people doing the spawn rape though you would see clans getting all full of themselves because they could get 100:1 k/ds by abusing a game mechanic glitch).
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 10:07:37 pm by Keshian »
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2011, 02:05:09 pm »
So yeah, just like I said, spawn rape only occurs when one side has  massive logistical failure. Defending or attacking a spawn point was a tactical move. I'm going to go ahead and guess I played more battles than you did, and spawn rape was relatively rare in the first place, given two non-fail organized sides in more or less the same timezones. When it did happen it was foremost because one team did not have enough equipment for all it's tickets, or no equipment at all. I'm still not getting this so-called "abuse" you're talking about, or the clans who "abused" it to do great, especially considering the initial land grab was fought against AI, who always had topped off equip/ticket ratio and often a full team of randoms. Spawn rape wasn't possible. Spawn rape only happened later on when two player sides would fight each other, and again, always due to logistical failure on one side. If you have a well equipped army of 2000 fighting against 100 (incidentally which battle was this) and the 100 have twice as many players, it's a logistical fail on your part.

But like I also said in the previous post, spawn rape was a boring and frustating experience for everyone involved. I only had to do it twice and was done to the team I was mercing for three times, and it's actually less annoying to get slaughtered than to do the slaughtering. I can't think who would be mongolic enough to be full of themselves cause they can click a button endlessly over a spawn of naked people.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 02:09:35 pm by Oberyn »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2011, 02:25:43 pm »
Anyway, it would be better if spawnrape never happens, right?

Better use some flag or other objective that can be captured to prevent a drawn out extremely one-sided battle.

Offline Keshian

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2011, 10:45:08 pm »
So yeah, just like I said, spawn rape only occurs when one side has  massive logistical failure. Defending or attacking a spawn point was a tactical move. I'm going to go ahead and guess I played more battles than you did, and spawn rape was relatively rare in the first place, given two non-fail organized sides in more or less the same timezones. When it did happen it was foremost because one team did not have enough equipment for all it's tickets, or no equipment at all. I'm still not getting this so-called "abuse" you're talking about, or the clans who "abused" it to do great, especially considering the initial land grab was fought against AI, who always had topped off equip/ticket ratio and often a full team of randoms. Spawn rape wasn't possible. Spawn rape only happened later on when two player sides would fight each other, and again, always due to logistical failure on one side. If you have a well equipped army of 2000 fighting against 100 (incidentally which battle was this) and the 100 have twice as many players, it's a logistical fail on your part.

Which one are you interested in: Pecores v. Nordmen of Fenada (2000 v. 191, 191 won, i was mercing for winning team), Nordmen of Fenada v. Those Grubby Serfs (i was defending), LLJK (before they temporarily lost their homeland) forget attacker but i was both defending and attacking in those fights, 22nd v. Roaming Ranger Company, Druzhina v. pretty much every templar fight near the end (defending), etc. etc.  Yes, a few of those were equipment failures, but most was having more mercs show up than the other team and thereby getting 50:1 k/ds.

To give you an idea, after the first 1000 died in the pecores fight they ran out of equipment, but we had already killed 1000 with only 191 tags by attacking their spawn, not only this situation but in the other battle situations I described it wasn't really an equipment failure so much as 24 mercenaries might show up one one side and another 44 might show up on the other side, so that tags stopped mattering if you had more mercs showed up, you could spawn rape them and so having 200000 v. 100 might not even matter if the 200000 had only 2 merc and you had 60 with the 100.  Toward the end of strategus there were a lot of deceitful tactics taking place to take advantage of this like deleting enemy team rosters just before the fight(chadz did a semi-fix i think for this), enemy team vote-kick/ban opposing players off if they ahd even 1 less player (win the 51% vote) so they would end up with far less players (chadz made this bannable offense), getting neutral people thata re actually in your clan but don't carry the clan tag for this and other reasons to apply for fights and then purposefully no-show so the team would be short-handed or attack at odd time periods so you know they couldn't hire enough mercs for a full roster and you would get your whole clan to show up.  This also goes on and on and it came down to the fact that killing people as they respawn in order to represent all your tickets was a cheap way tow in.

Also, I found battle server pretty boring so I merced for almost every strategus fight I could sometimes as many as 10 a day (how i got to level 47) so yes I definitely mercd for more and greater variety of fights both attacking and defending and this was abused very often and was the worst feature of the old Strategus.  Look at any other game with deathmatch mode and they have multiple spawn points to avoid this game abuse because its a cheap tactic that has nothing to do with medieval strategy but everything to do with the limitations of a game/computer to simulate a full battle.  Near the end of strategus this actually was a widely complained about issue, its just faded over time with no strategus around.

Since we have to have spawn points, the main change is simply to have mutiple spawn points like most other games and fix this issue.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 10:47:20 pm by Keshian »

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2011, 10:34:04 pm »
intresting read, but again the question

how about spawning with the battalion flags as long those are carried and if flag carrier dies you have to regroup at either one who picks the flag up or the battalion leader has spawned and taken flag again.

In my imagination that would lead to the term "waging" war.
Points which matter will be fighted for really hard as the backup spawns close by.
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline Keshian

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2011, 12:24:27 am »
intresting read, but again the question

how about spawning with the battalion flags as long those are carried and if flag carrier dies you have to regroup at either one who picks the flag up or the battalion leader has spawned and taken flag again.

In my imagination that would lead to the term "waging" war.
Points which matter will be fighted for really hard as the backup spawns close by.

Sounds like it might work.  I pretty much support anything that doesn't involve 1 non-moving spawn point.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2011, 02:47:07 pm »
This shouldn't be the battalion banner tough, they can be moved and picked up by anyone. Having a banner ITEM on the other hand (2 slots, non sheathable) that you could take with you would be awesome :D. And if the flagbearer died then someone else had to pick it up for people to spawn there again. Spawnrape could still happen with this but then it would kinda be their own fault.

I would also take one with me in normal pub battles too, just for the lulz. Mount and Musket anyone?
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2011, 10:03:15 am »
This shouldn't be the battalion banner tough, they can be moved and picked up by anyone. Having a banner ITEM on the other hand (2 slots, non sheathable) that you could take with you would be awesome :D. And if the flagbearer died then someone else had to pick it up for people to spawn there again. Spawnrape could still happen with this but then it would kinda be their own fault.

I would also take one with me in normal pub battles too, just for the lulz. Mount and Musket anyone?
The only thing in difference to what i suggested, is carrying an additional object which doesn't allow you to fight in the used way anymore.

As i said in my post before, when the battalion banner is dropped the spawn will be again at the original map spawn point. Only if someone "PICKS" the flag up, the people belonging to THAT battalion would spawn at their flag.
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2011, 10:46:28 am »

uh dam i want this.  and there should be only one : )  would be nice to fight for it to have the advantage of a mobile spawn
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login