Author Topic: Bonus VS shield weapons  (Read 1786 times)

Offline Jack1

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 231
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jack1_, Abbud_Amari, The_Doc, Gottlob_Kohlman
  • IRC nick: Risen_Jack
Bonus VS shield weapons
« on: May 20, 2014, 03:38:11 am »
+4
At the moment, in my opinion, bonus vs shield weapons are not what I think they should be. First there are the melee weapons and second there are the throwing weapons.

First, melee weapons with bonus vs shields seem to be too overpowered in my opinion. Axes(1h, 2h, and polearm) and morningstars are some of the more overpowered weapons in the game for the simple fact that they have, situationally, the beast damage in the game while being able to destroy shields and render one handed users and hoplites much worse off than they should be. Realistically the weapons that have bonus vs shields would have two simple parts. The first part would be the swing. the second part would be the ripping part when the weapon is removed from the shield. If you have ever had to chop wood with an axe you know that if you don't get all of the way though the wood your axe gets stuck in it and you have to get your foot on that piece of wood and pull with all of your might to get it out. My suggestion, if you think bonus vs shield should be changed, is that there is a weapon stun that happens to you whenever you hit a shield with bonus which would be both balance and realism.

Second is throwing. Balance wise throwing needs to be changed. Throwers nearly never choose throwing axes. Heavy throwing axes destroy shields with one less shot but already have two less ammunition than throwing spears. Heavy throwing axes also do less damage when somebody gets to be about 55 or so body armor while throwing spears or jarids start doing more, let alone that you still have the case of them having two or one ammunition. In my opinion throwing spears, javalins, and jarids need to loose their bonus vs shield or heavy throwing axes, throwing axes, and Francesca need to gain more ammunition, possibly only a damage buff for Francesca. The axes would also need a buff so that they are about equal with their piercing counterparts.

discuss
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 04:10:13 am by Jack1 »
We're all nerds here, so it doesn't really matter.

Offline HarunYahya

• Marshall
  • Renown: 965
  • Infamy: 309
  • cRPG Player
  • Proud Abdulla wielder
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BashiBazouks
  • Game nicks: HarunYahya,HarunShootya,Inan
  • IRC nick: HarunYahya
Re: Bonus VS shield weapons
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 04:18:45 am »
+4
Dude, shields should break.
If you manage to hit a guy under full plate armor by penetrating fine crafted steel, you should manage to pierce damn woodenpiece aswell.

This game is  fucked up realism-wise in many points but devs insist on keeping it a lil arcadish since most of the playerbase seek a balanced game instead of a medieval battle simulator.

I see your point, i would like to play a game without a shitty unrealistic factor in it aswell. For example as a cavalry, how the fuck can you remove your lance in full speed right after you pierce someone's body ?
Questions and suggestions are endless but won't ever happen. There is a thread asking for a realistic version of cRPG, a different server etc which is not gonna happen aswell you may check it, Baskalov Dima was the author cba to find the thread tho. Search "realistic version of crpg"

Offline Jack1

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 231
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jack1_, Abbud_Amari, The_Doc, Gottlob_Kohlman
  • IRC nick: Risen_Jack
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 04:33:09 am »
+1
Dude, shields should break.
If you manage to hit a guy under full plate armor by penetrating fine crafted steel, you should manage to pierce damn woodenpiece aswell.

This game is  fucked up realism-wise in many points but devs insist on keeping it a lil arcadish since most of the playerbase seek a balanced game instead of a medieval battle simulator.

I see your point, i would like to play a game without a shitty unrealistic factor in it aswell. For example as a cavalry, how the fuck can you remove your lance in full speed right after you pierce someone's body ?
Questions and suggestions are endless but won't ever happen. There is a thread asking for a realistic version of cRPG, a different server etc which is not gonna happen aswell you may check it, Baskalov Dima was the author cba to find the thread tho. Search "realistic version of crpg"

I'm fine without realism, but, in my opinion, most weapons with bonus vs shield are overpowered and my suggestion is just a way to incorporate realism with the balance. I am fine with people being able to break shields fast with bonus vs shield weapons, but, I also think that they as a niche are overpowered and should have a downside other than that they generally have bad or no stabs.. The downside to it should be that they have a .1 second or smaller stun when hitting a shield.
We're all nerds here, so it doesn't really matter.

Offline Admiral Ballsack

• Baron
  • Renown: 97
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
  • Weewoo
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Murder Boners
  • Game nicks: l33tplayer, KbW Aflack, Admiral_Ballsack, PS_Bob
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 04:42:17 am »
I sort of agree, bonus to shield weapons are stupid these long axes are stronger than the halfed blade, which isn't even a bonus to shield weapon. Also I LOVE how you can cut someones shield 20+ times and do nothing to it, BUT if you swing some stupid little axe TWICE it breaks the shield..?

What I would suggest(?) is having it just like crush through, you can hold to get a better chance at breaking the shield not just have a 100% chance to break a shield in two hits when the guy has 6 shield skill.

Or just nerf the stats on the weapons with bonus to shield, LONG AXE(FUCK YOU)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 04:56:05 am by Admiral Ballsack »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline MURDERTRON

• King
  • Renown: 1337
  • Infamy: 428
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TRUMP / WEST 2020
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 04:57:34 am »
+1
I don't think the use of bonus to shield weapons are quite as popular as you think.  Outside of their bonus to shields, they are generally terrible weapons.  The Morningstar isn't really even that good.  Most 2hers would do better with a longsword.  It has a niche role in Strategus because everyone wears plate armor.  It also has a niche role for 2h/1h cav, because it has massive damage, but is otherwise one of the worst and most unforgiving cav weapons for scoring hits.

Most of the axes are atrocious in terms of stats.  There are some outliers, like the Long Bardiche and Long Axe.  Niether of those have the unbalanced tag.  Meanwhile, the 2h Axes that got the unbalanced tag removed, took a big hit in damage.  Axes in general, with a few exceptions noted above, are awful dueling weapons, and most players would prefer to hit a shielder while he's trying to attack rather than try to break his shield.  At this mod's current state, most of the players can block competently so removing their shield and speeding up their attacks doesn't guarantee you a kill, not by a long shot.  If you had made this argument 2 years ago, maybe I'd agree.

If you want to add a new mechanic that involves the axe getting stuck in the shield, then you'd better add a chance to pull the shield away.
▀█▀▒█▀█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒█▒█▀█▒▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█
▒█▒▒█▄█▒█▒█▒██▒██▒█▄█▒▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒█
▒█▒▒█▀▄▒█▄█▒█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒▄

Offline Admiral Ballsack

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • Weewoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 04:58:46 am »
I don't think the use of bonus to shield weapons are quite as popular as you think.  Outside of their bonus to shields, they are generally terrible weapons.

Lol what the longaxe and bardouche are the most common polearms.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 05:38:26 am by Admiral Ballsack »

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 06:05:55 am »
+1
I believe most of the axes have length, power, or speed disadvantages in comparison to their equivalent blunt/pierce weapons. Compare the bar mace, bec, and military pick to most of their axe equivalents. They're definitely great for their purpose with good enough stats to hold their own.

Jarids are still better than most of the axes overall, but the axes typically have easier difficulty requirements and the superior rate of fire/accuracy help overcome the damage and missile speed differences. I think bonus against shield staying wouldn't be too bad. I tried using throwing hammers against shields and that did not work out at all, haha.

Offline Admiral Ballsack

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • Weewoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 06:35:01 am »
I believe most of the axes have length, power, or speed disadvantages in comparison to their equivalent blunt/pierce weapons. Compare the bar mace, bec, and military pick to most of their axe equivalents. They're definitely great for their purpose with good enough stats to hold their own.

Jarids are still better than most of the axes overall, but the axes typically have easier difficulty requirements and the superior rate of fire/accuracy help overcome the damage and missile speed differences. I think bonus against shield staying wouldn't be too bad. I tried using throwing hammers against shields and that did not work out at all, haha.
Long Axe
weapon length: 115
weight: 3
difficulty: 12
speed rating: 97

thrust damage: 20 cut
swing damage: 41 cut

Lets be real here, this axe has a 12 str difficulty and it has 41 cut 97 speed AND bonus to shields.. It is better than a longsword IMO... Polearms side swings make this thing a monster. Lets compare it to its daddy.
Great Long Axe
weapon length: 125
weight: 3.5
difficulty: 16
speed rating: 92

thrust damage: 16 blunt
swing damage: 45 cut
slots: 2

Holy shit 92 speed? I wonder why?

Offline San

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 06:54:36 am »
+1
+3 bec is equivalent to 49 cut against medium armor, pretty much a 5 damage advantage. +5 length and only -3 speed.

Then you have these weapons:
(click to show/hide)
+8 length, +1 cut, and a slightly less crappy stab all for 2 speed. It's still an axe, though, but it's pretty equivalent to the long axe. Then GLA is 3 cut for 3 speed from the LWA.

(click to show/hide)
Excellent length and speed for 5 cut and lack of bonus against shield. Iron staff deals similar damage to the hafted blade, but it's slightly slower/shorter with a better stab and knockdown as well as usability with shield.

Compare it to the longsword with +2 speed and a usable long stab where it helps quite a bit to help in more situations. The long axe would excel in close quarters combat, even against shielders. Only shorter 1h would really have a large issue against it. Long 1hers can outreach it with the right swing with similar speed values. It's a great weapon, excellent even, but it's hard for me to see how it's far superior to other great weapons available, even in its own weapon class.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 06:59:05 am by San »

Offline Kadeth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 845
  • Infamy: 81
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Calradian Confederacy
  • Game nicks: kadeth
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 07:21:34 am »
Long Axe
weight: 3
speed rating: 97

thrust damage: 20 cut
swing damage: 41 cut

Lets be real here, this axe has a 12 str difficulty and it has 41 cut 97 speed AND bonus to shields.. It is better than a longsword IMO... Polearms side swings make this thing a monster. Lets compare it to its daddy.
Great Long Axe
weight: 3.5
difficulty: 16
speed rating: 92

thrust damage: 16 blunt
swing damage: 45 cut
slots: 2

Holy shit 92 speed? I wonder why?

The GLA seems even crappier when compared to the Long Bardiche imho.

GLA costs almost twice as much, has 15 less reach and only has 2 more speed?

Offline Admiral Ballsack

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • Weewoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 07:26:26 am »
The GLA seems even crappier when compared to the Long Bardiche imho.

GLA costs almost twice as much, has 15 less reach and only has 2 more speed?

The GLA sucks compared to the Long Axe the purpose was to show how stupid broken the long axe is compared to it's similar bonus to shield counter parts.. You can't compare something that breaks shields in 2 hits to the BEC. I mean it's as fast as the one handed battle axe, used with say a 12-30 build the thing is stupid. Why wouldn't anyone NOT use the Long Axe?

Broad One Handed Battle Axe
weapon length: 73
weight: 1.5
speed rating: 98(Or 97 in game?)
weapon length: 73
thrust damage: 0 pierce
swing damage: 35 cut
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 07:51:53 am by Admiral Ballsack »

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2014, 07:56:56 am »
Heavy throwing axe has something all other throwing weapons do not. Crazy broken predictability. I was able to stand at pretty hefty distance and land axe after axe into each other. It's crazy accurate. The only reasons it's dropped off so much in use is that it lost ammo.

Your comments vis a vis shields are... well... foolish imo. The thing needs to break, end of story. I used shields for a hell of a long time, I only just flipped over to 2h recently. In the basically 3 years I used shields I almost only ever used the 3 dif brown lion shield and usually with 3 shield skill. It would break most rounds, but usually by the end and often to things like couched lances or a couple of goons with axes. I never really saw a problem with this. It's pretty easy to keep a shield alive if you want to. For me it's mostly about not getting hit with bolts and arrows and being able to ram into facehug range, it's not really a replacement for blocking, it gives you other abilities.
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline San

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014, 08:04:21 am »
Above 2 shield, a shieldbreaker shouldn't break it in 2 hits. It feels more like 4-8 depending on how you're hit for the average shield, variable if you let it get hit by held attacks.

15 length for 2 speed is consistent for GLA->Long bardiche->Great Long Bardiche with slight damage increases along the way. The horse rearing is the indirect buff that pushes it ahead, though. The pricing for the most expensive polearms don't really indicate superiority too much tbqh. You can say that for most of the good polearms since some are insanely cheap.

I do understand that weapons that reach the highest limits of stats like speed should come at a harsher penalty elsewhere, but for all weapon types. IMO it's not just a long axe thing.

Offline Artyem

• King
  • Renown: 1218
  • Infamy: 264
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • SODOM Shaman
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul / Raven / SODOMY
  • Game nicks: Artyem
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2014, 08:27:42 am »
It seems like unbalanced weapons in general are somewhat overpowered.  I don't think shields are breaking too easily, but the weapons in general are just really easy to use.  I've been using a +3 great axe on my alt and it's ridiculously easy to just spam people, since I seem to out speed every person that isn't using a +3 spear or staff.

shit's crazy

Sordida asinum latronibus sumus

Offline Strudog

• Marshall
  • Renown: 922
  • Infamy: 361
  • A Dog
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Britfag
  • Game nicks: Strudog
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2014, 09:28:14 am »
i currently play with the GLA and it takes me 3-4 hits to kill a shield, for me it does not seem overpowered, when i do play shielder and i find myself against one of these shield breaking weapons, i put the shield on my back and fight them with manual blocking, once they are dead i start using the shield again.

In regards to the GLA, the LB is far superior in every aspect, for 1 less cut and 2 less speed, why does the weapon cost almost half less then the GLA?
This is the internet.
Men are men
Women are men
Little girls are FBI agents.
Those are the rules no?