Author Topic: Any other NA Wars?  (Read 14610 times)

Offline PsychoTwins

• Earl
  • Renown: 453
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: FarmerBob, NinjaBob, 20PingIsHardBob, StrIsHardBob, HaxorBob
Re: Any other NA Wars?
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2014, 10:44:16 am »
It's a bad idea to convert troops into population. The population goes up for free (too the limit). It's better to keep your troops on hand! = more troops to mobilize on thy field of battle. ;)

true, but if you know you want to keep that castle/fief, instead of holding 1000 troops in there all the time you can just convert those to pop too, and no more upkeep
Here, dear crpg folk, we have an honest man who doesn't conceal the truth out of the fear of getting nerfed. He surely deserves a round of heartfelt applause.

Offline Wesleysnipes

• Earl
  • Renown: 371
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • SQUIDDONKULIOUS
    • View Profile
  • Faction: AoW squid
  • Game nicks: Wesley
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2014, 07:11:18 pm »
true, but if you know you want to keep that castle/fief, instead of holding 1000 troops in there all the time you can just convert those to pop too, and no more upkeep

Correct, but 1000 hours worth of troops can be funded by a 1-2 day trade run easily.
Dashing through the steppe, on a hundreds horse sleigh, o'er fields we go, laughing all the way. HOHOHO! It's Calamariclause and it's Christmas in April for the Squids.

http://www.insomniagamer.com/lp/leagueofangels/loapink/

Offline AreTreble

• Knight
  • Renown: 58
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Aretes
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2014, 07:12:59 pm »
+2
There really needs to be a system in Strategus that rewards factions who participate in sieges/battles/raids. Wasn't the whole 'renown' thing supposed to do this?

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • Renown: 376
  • Infamy: 194
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2014, 07:21:28 pm »
+3
There really needs to be a system in Strategus that rewards factions who participate in sieges/battles/raids. Wasn't the whole 'renown' thing supposed to do this?

Wrong.  The reward for going to war is capturing territory and resources.  Strat is probably a pretty good historical model.  Going to war should be a strategic decision, the less artificial tinkering the better.

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2014, 06:08:46 am »
+3
I would like to see more strategic layering though. A bit more complexity.

The trade management isn't too bad for a simple system it has quiet a lot of depth.

They just need to fix up the troop recruitment system and perhaps introduce a renown system that caps army sizes so that people need to gain renown to be able to assault and capture castles/towns.
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Bryggan

• Marshall
  • Renown: 727
  • Infamy: 207
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 13 Knights, HCE
  • Game nicks: Jerk, Asshole, Dumbass, etc.
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2014, 05:21:58 pm »
+2
The problem here is that everyone knows each other.  We all go on each other's teamspeaks, get to know one another as individuals, and decide who are friends and enemies are by personality.

It would be nice if everyone made their decisions by the Strat map; attacking fiefs because of strategic or economic value, not because the owner shitposted them or TKed them twice in C-Rpg, and allied themselves with people not because they're cool, or they're dating their sister*, but because it will give you a temporary advantage which you might use against them later.

So I suggest everyone should be forced to change their game names so no one will know who's who (and revealing your identity would result in $200** fine and perma ban), people may only go on their clan's TS and no one else's, and all diplomacy must be done through letters written in a proper RP style (each one to be submitted to the fine people who got rid of the 'Hello Kitty' banner for approval before being sent).

Plus any clan that does not play in a proper Machiavellian style will be fined $100 per member.

This would lead to proper game play and perhaps a little less bitching.

*Yeah, I know.  True Strat players don't date.
** Canadian dollars.  Sent to me.

Offline Thryn

• Meme Artisan
  • Game Admin (trial)
  • Renown: 1177
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook
  • buff 2h tbh
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Confederacy
  • Game nicks: Thryn
  • IRC nick: Black Bastards
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2014, 06:04:22 pm »
+4
People are taking this too seriously. There's a web browser game called AtWar that I play with friends, and it can be really satisfying. Sure I may backstab my friend or carry him through, but in the end it's a game and we can pick it back up and play again some other time. Strat should be the same for people. We duke it out for lols & what not, and the reward is xp (which leads you to ugibmelooms). Not to mention that if you get knocked out of a round, you can try to start back up again.

Now, go fucking fight some spergs you afking bitches. I want XP.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

We may not love corrupt government, but we must love our country.

Offline Jaren

• Earl
  • Renown: 303
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: MB
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2014, 12:51:37 pm »
+4
I've gotta revisit this... Things have been fairly lopsided in terms of larger factions failing or lacking reason for a show of force... And unfortunately, I've taken the side in buddying up to sort out the middle grounds.
Things-, Factional relationships, pacts... Some sheer straight up chumming about has brought me back to the dull roar of previous strats.
Something that could and should be cantankerous and haphazard; things that demand the focus of your team just to ensure or grasp at victory has been blown off as too risky and has turned into a long and enduring resource mission, or at least in my case, being a cog to support the machine.
However, the uncertainty of that chaos
(click to show/hide)
is what could make strat more enjoyable for all, or in the least bit bound for kinetic and reactionary play by these factions.

Squids, I gotta give it to you for at least throwing some troops out, and Acre, you guys keep being Acre and fight your good fight!
(click to show/hide)
But, I almost feel a sense of shame behind the lack of aggressiveness KbW, Occitan, and other larger factions have shown to... Anyone.

I get it, I get it... Economics... Secure lands... PREPARE!!!

But this lacking in tenacity and reverence for others who deserve none on the field of Strat is making my balls hurt... I keep seeing all these fine ass digital floozies skimping their frocks for other lads.
I want those floozies!
I want WAR!!

I NEED BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!!
(click to show/hide)
So NA... More so large factions; LEAD, DEMAND, ENFORCE! And lets have some fun!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 12:59:07 pm by Jaren »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline BaleOhay

• Marshall
  • Renown: 789
  • Infamy: 229
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BS
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2014, 03:39:21 pm »
+6
so you are saying you miss the fcc?
Leader of BS

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2014, 04:07:02 pm »
+1
His saying he misses the FCC.
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
I am so absolutely outraged every time I consider this.
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2014, 08:48:06 pm »
+5
there has been a war against civil liberties in regards to altered states of consciousness going on in the USA for going on 50 years, join the fight.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Balikar

• Count
  • Renown: 173
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Moonshine, Cruxton
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2014, 01:18:49 am »
What's going on my fellow North Americans. KBW you own a lot of the map too, get your ass in gear and make strat fun. Occitan, start something too. Dracul fight Ganner. WFA oh wait, you are vassels of Acre! So yeah. Everyone has more then enough gold to have a little bit of a war. Let's make it happen shall we?

Or just become his vassal... 

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
Re: I am so absolutely outraged every time I consider this.
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2014, 06:54:05 pm »
there has been a war against civil liberties in regards to altered states of consciousness going on in the USA for going on 50 years, join the fight.

Totally has nothing to do with, I don't know drugs being highly destructive (often lethal) addictive substances.  Meth, Heroin, and Cocaine are definitely illegal because "there is a war against civil liberties in regards to altered states of consciousness".  Just go fast or smoke pot (legal in a lot of places now or not police enforced) or better yet meditate (instead of looking for quick destructive fix to get to same state) if thats what you want.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
not really sorry
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2014, 11:38:52 pm »
+4
Totally has nothing to do with, I don't know drugs being highly destructive (often lethal) addictive substances.  Meth, Heroin, and Cocaine are definitely illegal because "there is a war against civil liberties in regards to altered states of consciousness".  Just go fast or smoke pot (legal in a lot of places now or not police enforced) or better yet meditate (instead of looking for quick destructive fix to get to same state) if thats what you want.

You're right, it has nothing to do with Strategus, but it's still a war taking place in North America, haha. If meth, heroin, and cocaine were outlawed due purely to harm reduction (considering the study published in 2010 in The Lancet, Drug harms in the UK: a multicriteria decision analysis, for one), then alcohol and tobacco would be illegal too. Clearly that's not the case. If we're considering potential harm to self and others, the top five substances, almost always in this order, are: alcohol, heroin, crack form of cocaine, methamphetamine, cocaine (then tobacco). Heroin/meth/crack/coke are more likely to cause harm to the user than alcohol, but alcohol is pretty close and is much more likely to cause harm to others due to the use of it. Even considering that the aforementioned study is affected by the case of alcohol and tobaccos legality, one must admit that it is likely more of a danger or at least an equal danger to cannabis, and some schedule I substances are safer than either.

Still, even making the more heinous of substances illegal causes more harm than good by way of making criminals out of citizens rather than educating them and allowing them to make their own informed choices as we have done with alcohol and tobacco. A lack of regulation by making substances criminal also paves the way for untaxed money to be made by distributors who may adulterate their products, causing further chances for harm to users, who are going to use whether or not said substances are illegal- legality doesn't effect the percentage of users in a population in a major way in the long run, from what we've seen in countries and areas that have decrminalized substances previously illegal. For the record, I've never done meth, heroin, cocaine, and I never would due to their addictive qualities and potential detriments to health- this is also why I typically refrain from alcohol. I can and do agree that these substances, at least, have a high chance for destruction and harm.

In terms of potential harm to self and other, some of the highest scheduled drugs in America, the psychedelic substances such as psilocybin (found in many species of mushrooms) and LSD are ironically some of the safest for consumption- low chance for physical damage, low chance for overdose, low chance for lasting negative effects, extremely low chance for addiction, do some research and see for yourself. They were outlawed under the Nixon administration due to "cultural hysteria" and propaganda against them. Moreover, this was intimately tied to social activism- many activists were using these substances, and could not be imprisoned for their activism. Maybe I'm just cynical. It's a joke that they're Schedule I (No benefits; no medical applications- there was not enough information to claim this at the time of their scheduling, but can now be said to be an outright lie as around the world more and more applications and potential applications are being discovered and explored).

What's more, unlike alcohol prohibition, no amendment was made to the constitution in their case. Pretty ridiculous, man, you've got to admit, that a person can go to prison for a longer sentence than a murderer or rapist for possessing an amount of mushrooms not even suitable for a psychedelic experience. You can get five years in prison for having a gram (there are some places, thankfully, where they'll just fine you and confiscate it- this also depends on the officer, of course), which, on average, will only have the effect of improving visual acuity. That is utterly fucked up. Whether or not you would ever deign to use these substances, you have to admit that there is a level of absurdity in the system we have arranged here. Imagine if you could be sent to prison for years for the possession of a thimble full of ginger (in relation to sub-psychedelic amounts of substances this is an easy comparison).

Some people prefer meditation to reach visionary states, and for some, with practice, they achieve it- others prefer to ingest a fungus readily metabolized by our bodies to reach visionary states, and, with forty minutes of waiting, they achieve it. Moreover, the practice of meditation is, in my own experience (the last of which was over five years ago, now) as well as the experience of others who have actually experimented with these substances in a respectful manner, only enhanced by the introduction of compounds such as mescaline, psilocybin, LSD and salvinorin a. If I, as an informed adult citizen of the United States of America, do not have the right to alter my consciousness as I see fit- knowing well the risks and benefits, as anyone who consumes alcohol or, hell, drives a vehicle does- then the game isn't worth the candle, and it opens the door for a further violations of our collective civil liberties.

Sorry for the wall of text, but I am extremely passionate about this, and feel that a large portion of the population is either uninformed or misinformed when it comes to mind altering substances. At the very least we need to seriously consider decriminalization, because the only people who truly benefit from illegal substances by virtue of their being illegal (important to note) are prison operators, law enforcement (in terms of federal funding- Minnesota police fought tooth and nail to keep medical marijuana illegal here in plant form just recently), and dealers/crime syndicates/cartels.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 11:51:16 pm by Malaclypse »
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline BaleOhay

• Marshall
  • Renown: 789
  • Infamy: 229
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BS
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2014, 12:33:44 am »
+9
you must be on drugs for that much typing
Leader of BS