Author Topic: *New* Dwarf fortress  (Read 1959 times)

Offline Sellka

• Knight
  • Renown: 28
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Acre
  • Game nicks: Sellka,kovoca
*New* Dwarf fortress
« on: April 16, 2014, 03:40:43 pm »
+2
Since the old thread died of some horid death of inactivity, I wanted to see whos still around that plays dwarf fortress. I know currently I am playing Phoebus  with a big river next to my settlement in a untaimed wild. So I got giant songes and sponge men. I'm fucked. So decided to close the gates of the fortress and dig.. Dig.. and dig.. Currently have 17 dwarfs in the settlement with a big nasty red sponge sitting at the front trying to soak the mosture out of the wooden door.

All those who dwell unite and dig togeather! Strike the earth!

Also share some stories from your forts!

(click to show/hide)

Mayday goblin pack ^ not my fortress but looks similar. Massive military FTW BTW
Pew pew pew pew pew

Offline Artyem

• King
  • Renown: 1218
  • Infamy: 264
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • SODOM Shaman
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul / Raven / SODOMY
  • Game nicks: Artyem
Re: *New* Dwarf fortress
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 11:44:09 am »
+6
Johammeth's thread inspired me to play this game, and now I'm hooked on it like crack.

I still suck at it though, nothing looks organized.  My militia is equipped with chicken leather vests, and soon they will have wooden crossbows.  Good thing no goblins have arrived yet.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sordida asinum latronibus sumus

Offline isatis

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ink+water showing their true potential!
    • View Profile
    • le Clan des Cochons!
  • Faction: Le clan des Cochons!!
  • Game nicks: Cochon_Furtif_Isatis
  • IRC nick: Isatis
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 04:20:40 am »
I tried to make a pacific fortress once...

My dream of cohabitation with the goblins suprisingly worked as I let the thieves escape, no great invasion!

But... my dwarves got mad ans they killed everybody

The end.

Since, no more pacificism :(
So the new response to ranged ragers is not "get a shield", it is "learn to chamber ranged nub!"

Offline Polobow

• Count
  • Renown: 267
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: SoA
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 01:32:16 pm »
I'm going to give it a try again after the update is out...

Offline martybarty

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: SlothPeNats
  • Game nicks: Doipyy
  • IRC nick: Doipy
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 08:56:03 am »
Dwarf fortress, cant wait for him to finally get back to work after 1 1/2 years of sitting on his but to get back to updating DF!

Quick story:

Once upon a time in dwarf fortress masterwork, a nice dwarf from a migrant wave migrated into my lovley fortress, he proceeded after two years of peacefully living in my fort to turn into a werewolf, kill 2-5 dwarfs at a time and switching back before my military could dispatch of him, you've got to love Masterworks Magic system, too bad no screenshots but it was a comical moment!

BTW WINTER IS COMING OH WAIT IT'S ALREADY GONE!

Power Puff Alliance.
The Alliance of Flowers.
The end...

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 12:52:56 pm »
I'm waiting for the update before playing this again. It's not far off now. Multi-tile trees, and more importantly the world will start actually being alive. So far as soon as you start a fortress the rest of the world is completely frozen and slowly dying. Nothing happens unless it happens in the confines of your fortress. Now there will be politics, invasions and wars.  Other villages, areas and forts in the world will be involved in those invasions and wars, and can grow or dissapear entirely. You will be able to "retire" a fort, where before the only way to start a new fort within the same world was to abandon your current one to become an abandoned ruin. Once you know the mechanics well and can get a fort up and running the game can turn boring fast. Not much to do except ridiculous megaprojects, artificially limit yourself to make the game harder (like no traps for example) or weave a narrative into your fort to make it interesting. This update should give it a lot more replayability.

ps: your dwarf must've gotten into a fight with a werecreature and bit at some point, otherwise he would've turned into it long before 2 years. It's every full moon.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 02:33:30 pm »
Same, normally the Adams guys behind DF are bug-fixing, close testing their shit for months/years then release a TORRENT of game patches.

Last version to date:
DOWNLOAD DWARF FORTRESS 0.34.11 (June 4, 2012)

I hope they will release a new one in summer, they have made some pretty huge new features list, when it gets live its going to pown so much.

Offline martybarty

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: SlothPeNats
  • Game nicks: Doipyy
  • IRC nick: Doipy
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 10:11:39 pm »
I'm waiting for the update before playing this again. It's not far off now. Multi-tile trees, and more importantly the world will start actually being alive. So far as soon as you start a fortress the rest of the world is completely frozen and slowly dying. Nothing happens unless it happens in the confines of your fortress. Now there will be politics, invasions and wars.  Other villages, areas and forts in the world will be involved in those invasions and wars, and can grow or dissapear entirely. You will be able to "retire" a fort, where before the only way to start a new fort within the same world was to abandon your current one to become an abandoned ruin. Once you know the mechanics well and can get a fort up and running the game can turn boring fast. Not much to do except ridiculous megaprojects, artificially limit yourself to make the game harder (like no traps for example) or weave a narrative into your fort to make it interesting. This update should give it a lot more replayability.

ps: your dwarf must've gotten into a fight with a werecreature and bit at some point, otherwise he would've turned into it long before 2 years. It's every full moon.

I CANT WAIT!
Power Puff Alliance.
The Alliance of Flowers.
The end...

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 07:57:54 pm »
Going to start getting into this now. I've learned the basics earlier.. as soon as you start understanding these damn menus the game gets pretty interesting. Just have to stop myself from digging too deep too early, as it just killed me pretty much.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 08:10:10 pm »
Blame Jona if noone plays cRPG anymore, but is on DF  :P

Offline Artyem

• King
  • SODOM Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 08:57:25 am »
I've been playing this game consistently for the last 2-3 weeks, and it's basically completely absorbed my gaming time.

I started looking for some new challenges, so I started checking out some mods, but decided that the best option would be to make another race playable.  Well, elves can basically be played by changing one line of text, they already have noble positions and everything.  But elves are for pansies, I wanted to play as the humans.

Humans start with 0 noble positions (no squads, no brokers, no mayors, etc), so I had to copy-paste and edit all of the dwarves ones, it wasn't too hard though.  Now I've started up my new game of Human Fortress, the ambassador already showed up and a few migrants have arrived, nothing major yet though.  Man, building above ground fortresses is fucking tiring.  One floor board = one material, so to build a floor and roof in my first building cost me 120 logs.

I guess my guys will be sleeping in the mine shafts for now, I've got about 6000 trees to chop down in the mean time.

Offline Umbra

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Krems, Freak Army of Gnjus
  • Game nicks: Umbra
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2014, 11:40:21 am »
Artyem if you want more playable races download Masterwork DF.

It is a mod that is a bit overwhelming with the ammount of new stuff at the beginning but the great thing about it is: You can turn on/off any feature in it, completely costumizing it to your preferences. Want vanilla with just new races, you can have that. Want shitload of new stuff, go ahead. Want desiease, cults, new enemies and legendary creatures, turn on the ones you like.

It has playable orcs, gnomes and kobolds. All with special buildings and mechanics designed.

Also, if anyone needs any help with any feature from vanilla/MF DF, or workflow repetitive production automation, or addons that are used in MW DF for a better experience feel free to pm me.

Offline Artyem

• King
  • SODOM Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2014, 11:53:39 am »
+1
Yeah I already looked at Masterwork DF, I'm happy with what I've got now, but I'll probably grab it later anyway.

Offline Berserkadin

• Duke
  • Renown: 592
  • Infamy: 145
    • View Profile
  • Faction: -
  • Game nicks: Krewl_The_Urist_Fox
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2014, 12:55:38 am »
Masterwork is awesome because you can play as cutekobolds.

Offline Berserkadin

• Duke
  • Renown: 592
  • Infamy: 145
    • View Profile
  • Faction: -
  • Game nicks: Krewl_The_Urist_Fox
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2014, 10:45:16 am »
+2

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139054.0

New version getting released next month, praise Armok!