Author Topic: FFXIV A Realm Reborn  (Read 3440 times)

Offline Yazid

• tEh eNl1gTh3N3d!1!!
  • Baron
  • Renown: 99
  • Infamy: 52
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
FFXIV A Realm Reborn
« on: April 11, 2014, 04:09:55 pm »
The new server of Jenova opened up recently for the PS4 release in NA,
I'm playing on there so
Join me in this superior Japanese MMO!

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
Re: FFXIV A Realm Reborn
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 04:27:20 pm »
+2
console.. mmo... superior.. Dont think so. Was actually really close to getting this but they fucked up on release and i couldnt purchase it so bought wow instead.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 10:28:33 am »
Super bump. I've been reading about this game and I've been hearing a lot of good things about it on different forums, about having a lot of (end) content and it being fun and challenging - for example I heard there's not really that many trash mobs in endgame dungeons, effectively putting out the boring parts of instance running and making them into interesting boss fights. It made me try the free trial, and while it is the standard themepark fare with a slow-ish combat (kind of standard for FF games, no?), it seems like a decent game. There's a bunch of features that are appealing and the graphics, especially the character/gear models are very nice.

The numbers speak of its success (500k daily players), even after an abysmal original launch, before it was remade. Anyone that played this game have anything to say about it, good or bad?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 10:35:39 am by Vibe »

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 12:36:28 pm »
I played the first version for 2 months and revamp version for 3 months before quitting.

The game is great, awesome story if you are into the final fantasy series, one character can be all classes, very enjoyable dungeons (At least for me), summons sometimes roam the world and can be killed for special loot (Like Odin and Behemoth) and the world while smallish looks really really good (Original version was better visually tough).

Why I quit? Now there are more stuff to do but when I played, at endgame your only option was to farm tokens to get gear to go to the final dungeon to get better gear, that's it. It's a standard themepark so it's bound to happen but heh I expected more side stories like in the previous one FFXI.

Also if you try it out (You should) the game has an easy start then every couple of levels it gets harder and harder. One thing I'll tell you is fighting Titan HM and now there's the harder version you NEED to know his attack rotation by heart or write it somewhere. It's that annoyingly hard.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 01:19:31 pm »
Also if you try it out (You should) the game has an easy start then every couple of levels it gets harder and harder. One thing I'll tell you is fighting Titan HM and now there's the harder version you NEED to know his attack rotation by heart or write it somewhere. It's that annoyingly hard.

This is great, really. Hard = fun. Something I expect from a game that's focused on PvE, mechanically difficult fights.

Offline Fips

• King
  • Renown: 1217
  • Infamy: 290
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Fips_HRE
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 03:18:08 pm »
Not sure if you had the coil of bahamut already, vexus, but now it's there and i've never experienced such a complicated and difficult dungeon in an mmorpg. If you don't know the mechanics about every single stage of the fight, you have absolutely no chance to get it finished. It's not annoying, you just need to understand the fights before you start them. And rotation isn't a must for titan ex. Just gotta know when he uses his plumes, because they kick ass.

First mmorpg in ages that i played for hundreds of hours and will continue to play.

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 06:32:49 pm »
Ah yes that was the dungeon I couldn't remember the name.

I never done it personally since I was a dragoon and at that time and mostly in general in all recent mmos people prefer ranged dps over melee dps.

Offline Fips

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 06:46:55 pm »
Dragoon is really tough, yeah. My first lvl50 class, too. The low magic defense gets you killed quite easily.
But, you do more damage than any other class. The rotation of the drg is very long and you can rarely use it all, but if you can, the dps is incredible.
Most challenging class by far together with the monk...and probably the ninja now, too.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 10:53:46 am »
Titan Extreme looks like a fun fight

And the game just went on a weekly sale: http://store.steampowered.com/app/262342/
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 11:45:59 am by Vibe »

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 11:58:48 am »
I tanked him as warrior and dpsed him as dragoon and summoner in hard mode.

It is/was a real pain in the ass to kill it with random people. He's one of those bosses you NEED to kill in a certain timeframe or the healers won't be able to outheal the aoe damage (The stomps he makes increase every time he uses it, and each stomp deals damage). Also at least in hardmode unless you get high geared people no one can die until you destroy his heart or gg.

(And, yes you can fall and die plus you can't participate in the fight until they wipe or win)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 12:05:03 pm by Vexus »

Offline karasu

• King
  • Renown: 1751
  • Infamy: 316
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • D̶͎̳͒́͗͋ẹ͕̲̠̳̄̃͂ͤ͑ͮṃ̮͎̗̦̏̿͊ͤi̥̪̼͕ͦ̀̊̐ȗ̘rͩ͋̅̊gͭ̿̋
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 11:59:59 am »
console.. mmo... superior.. Dont think so. Was actually really close to getting this but they fucked up on release and i couldnt purchase it so bought wow instead.

Actually, the revived version of the game is really playable, but not good enough to be paying for it monthly. After a month of playing Dragoon class, never bothered to continue, nothing new since I'm sadly not new to mmos.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 12:17:21 pm »
Actually, the revived version of the game is really playable, but not good enough to be paying for it monthly. After a month of playing Dragoon class, never bothered to continue, nothing new since I'm sadly not new to mmos.

From what I heard, there's a lot of stuff to do endgame, but in general it's gear grind through dungeons. I guess if you enjoy challenging PvE fights to gear up, it warrants a monthly sub, if you're sick of the standard themepark fare and instance grinding, it probably isn't worth it. I'm thinking of purchasing it as it's on Steam Sale atm (10€ for game and 1month sub), I've been kind of missing challenging and fun group/raid content, not looking forward to leveling though ;_;. To be honest, it'll be refreshing to play a P2P game for a change, all the F2P MMOs come with horrible cash grab shops :/

Offline Fips

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 01:41:59 pm »
The leveling isn't all that bad. Especially the first char should be easy with the main storyline. Tip: Don't do a whole lot of sidequests in the first run. Use them later on when you want to level the next class. I did all on my dragoon and missed out on a ton of xp =/
The levequests give a lot of XP and are very short, dungeons give you a ton of xp, too, then there are fates that have decent xp output, and so on. I got my marauder to level 50 within a week and i didn't feel like i grinded my way to it.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 02:22:05 pm »
The leveling isn't all that bad. Especially the first char should be easy with the main storyline. Tip: Don't do a whole lot of sidequests in the first run. Use them later on when you want to level the next class. I did all on my dragoon and missed out on a ton of xp =/
The levequests give a lot of XP and are very short, dungeons give you a ton of xp, too, then there are fates that have decent xp output, and so on. I got my marauder to level 50 within a week and i didn't feel like i grinded my way to it.

Aren't there other areas, at least at start, that provide a bunch of quests to level your other classes? What do you suggest I should to for my first class then, just level through main story, leves, fates and dungeons? That enough?

Offline Fips

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2014, 02:52:56 pm »
Aren't there other areas, at least at start, that provide a bunch of quests to level your other classes? What do you suggest I should to for my first class then, just level through main story, leves, fates and dungeons? That enough?

Yah, after level 16 you get lowlevel dungeon roulette, which gives you like 70% of the xp you need for the next level. You can only do that once every day, but just doing the dungeons themselves gives plenty of xp, too.
I'd go with one of the tanks. Parties always lack tanks, at least on my server, and when queuing up as a tank you usually don't have to wait long. Mostly it instantly gives you a party.

Also, definitely get one class to 50 first, before you start leveling other classes. That's where the fun starts and you don't miss out on any features, like joining a hunt when you find one while leveling other classes.