Author Topic: Katana deserve better  (Read 15871 times)

Offline Rebelyell

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 398
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Bobby
  • IRC nick: boobby
Re: Katana deserve better
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2015, 04:57:45 pm »
KILL THAT TOPIC
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
You just killed me
Nerf you maybe?

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2015, 05:16:20 pm »
+1
In one episode in warehouse 13 there was this katana that was so sharp that it could split light. So when the guy held it's edge towards observer, he became invisible.

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2015, 01:18:01 pm »
+6
Katana realism thread and no one posted this video?! :shock:

SHAME ON YOU!

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline SG_Anani

• Knight
  • Renown: 26
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2015, 08:03:36 pm »
+1
Ever wonder why medieval Europe never bothered conquering Japan? That's right, they were too scared to fight the disciplined Samurai and their katanas of destruction.

Is this a joke? Medieval Europe never bothered conquering japan?

Medieval europe was nowhere near japan plus the two never probably knew eachother existed when it was actually the ''medieval'' times.

Anyways I personally know a bit but I honestly don't really care what used to happen on that cute island of yours. Just be grateful that there are these samurai armors that break the immersion 99%(along with some other armors).

Offline Doom_Carrot

• Knight
  • Renown: 79
  • Infamy: 66
  • cRPG Player
  • NO LONGER ACTIVE
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Empire of Palagor
  • Game nicks: Doom_Carrot
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2015, 08:11:44 pm »
Alright... Look. The katana was a weapon of eastern origin that was super duper op. You could literally cleave through full plate with a katana like it was paper. To this day, we don't fully understand how the ancient Japanese made such badass weapons. The katana was EASILY the most powerful type of sword.

However, I think this is one of those situations where it would be better to NOT be super realistic. The 2h spam is already bad enough.

If you wanted to make the katana "realistic" it would have to IGNORE armor, be able to chop peoples weapons in half on parry, and do at LEAST 60-70 damage. Yeah lets not do that. Downvote for you, sorry  :|
It was fun while it lasted.

Offline Gurgumul

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2015, 10:03:45 pm »
+2
Katana is best sword, I saw it in chinese cartoons!

Offline SG_Anani

• Knight
  • Renown: 26
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2015, 12:21:14 pm »
Alright... Look. The katana was a weapon of eastern origin that was super duper op. You could literally cleave through full plate with a katana like it was paper. To this day, we don't fully understand how the ancient Japanese made such badass weapons. The katana was EASILY the most powerful type of sword.

However, I think this is one of those situations where it would be better to NOT be super realistic. The 2h spam is already bad enough.

If you wanted to make the katana "realistic" it would have to IGNORE armor, be able to chop peoples weapons in half on parry, and do at LEAST 60-70 damage. Yeah lets not do that. Downvote for you, sorry  :|

Can you tell me on which world the actual plate armor used by europeans was cleaved by a katana? What is your reference when saying that katana could cleave trough plate armor like paper? I am seriously curious.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2015, 03:59:11 pm »

Cant tell if serious..
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Doom_Carrot

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • NO LONGER ACTIVE
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2015, 06:37:00 pm »
Cant tell if serious..

www.shinkendo.com/kabuto.html

sure, it isn't a normal occurance, but well-made katanas were more than capable of slicing plate; something that most people would deem impossible to do with a cutting weapon.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2015, 08:11:12 pm »
+3
A katana really isnt sharper than any other sword afaik, the curve just makes it slightly better for slashing. And you dont slice through plate, this is just insane. "Well made katanas" are no better than the average european sword, theyre just getting close to being on par, japanese pig steel just needs insane work to actually be usable without the weapon becoming complete garbage. They still are though.. That helm couldve been made out of the same garbage aswell, try doing that on an european helmet.

And then theres also the katana tests made now recently, that use katanas made of modern steel, which basically makes them into a new weapon and not a traditional katana.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 08:16:38 pm by Gravoth_iii »
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.

Offline Doom_Carrot

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • NO LONGER ACTIVE
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2015, 03:40:31 am »
A katana really isnt sharper than any other sword afaik, the curve just makes it slightly better for slashing. And you dont slice through plate, this is just insane. "Well made katanas" are no better than the average european sword, theyre just getting close to being on par, japanese pig steel just needs insane work to actually be usable without the weapon becoming complete garbage. They still are though.. That helm couldve been made out of the same garbage aswell, try doing that on an european helmet.

And then theres also the katana tests made now recently, that use katanas made of modern steel, which basically makes them into a new weapon and not a traditional katana.

I'm not entirely sure, but I believe the tests done in that article involved legit ancient weapons and armor. And I think they did a few more tests with katanas made by modern-day mastersmiths in the same fashion the ancient Japanese made them.

And btw my dad's childhood friend is the American mastersmith. I'm not even kidding, he makes shit like katanas and stuff to decorate the whitehouse, and of all the blades he makes, the katanas are without question the easiest to slice n dice things with. So I'm not just pulling these ideas out of my ass, although I'm not saying I'm absolutely right either, never swung a legit ancient katana against a guy in plate.  :rolleyes:

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2015, 03:45:46 am »
+1
old :)

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Doom_Carrot

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • NO LONGER ACTIVE
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2015, 05:01:12 am »
old :)

Woah wait is this a dev? Is this the Jesus who could answer our broken strat questions?

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2015, 04:14:03 pm »
I'm not entirely sure, but I believe the tests done in that article involved legit ancient weapons and armor. And I think they did a few more tests with katanas made by modern-day mastersmiths in the same fashion the ancient Japanese made them.

And btw my dad's childhood friend is the American mastersmith. I'm not even kidding, he makes shit like katanas and stuff to decorate the whitehouse, and of all the blades he makes, the katanas are without question the easiest to slice n dice things with. So I'm not just pulling these ideas out of my ass, although I'm not saying I'm absolutely right either, never swung a legit ancient katana against a guy in plate.  :rolleyes:

Katanas do look fancy, but they are by no means a godtier sword that can cut plate, or a sword. They are more of a status thing than anything, doubt anyone in battle would pick a katana over a naginata for example, atleast not those who wants to be able to fight.

The tests werent done against plate anyways, and no tests with any other sword than katana as far as i read.

Dont we all love lindybeige

Offline Bronto

• Head NA admin
  • King
  • Renown: 1339
  • Infamy: 268
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2015, 05:40:09 pm »
+3
Probably the most definite proof of Katana...