Poll

Reduce speed bonus for 1h cav

Yes
57 (52.3%)
No
52 (47.7%)

Total Members Voted: 108

Author Topic: Nerf 1h cav damage.  (Read 18725 times)

Offline Matim

• Knight
  • Renown: 25
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
  • My rouncey feeds on human flesh
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nilfgaard
Re: Nerf 1h cav damage.
« Reply #75 on: March 25, 2014, 02:59:18 pm »
+2
The only way I can kill with my +3 arabian with 1 hit is either 0 IF and very light armour on the enemy or strike directly in the head, when enemy has max medium helmet. I have 8PS.
Now think how fucking you have to struggle to get full charge on the enemy without getting stopped by pikes/2haders/death of your horse

Seriously, first see what stats do the most of 1h cav has on the servers. Usually much worse than most of the 2hands. How much does those cav players pay? Usually at least twice as much as 2handers.
Same way you can say that 2hands in best armours are OP

That's why what you should compare other classes to is cav with medium armour on a rouncey. Only then upkeep is similar to the infantry.
And that's why it's all bullshit, longbow kills rouncey with 1 headshot, 2 normal hits.

What is selfish of those who support the idea of nerfing 1h cav is also that you don't care about 1h vs lancer balance (I'm sure that the main reason is just "NERF CAV111")

How does the balance looks now - lancers have less dmg, can fight inf out of their reach though, and have couched attack. 1h cav is always endangered when attacking infantry, still has bigger dmg.
If one says that 2h cav is too weak then just buff it. I'm sure that the idea will loose then most of the supporters.

Offline Aksei

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 25, 2014, 03:04:17 pm »
+1
just some points missing:

- 2h can outrange 1h
- when dismounted 2h is better than 1h

if you change speed stuff we will see killingmaschines 2h on arabian horse  :mrgreen:

Offline Mr.K.

• Earl
  • Renown: 474
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmar Union
« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2014, 03:06:46 pm »
+1

39p morningstar ftw. Please no, it can already onehit most guys with body hits and everyone except for Butan with a head hit... 2H longsword on horseback would be 38c while the shorter and worse-on-foot ACS would be 32c. Realism-wise it makes zero sense as well, ACS is as long and heavier - it should deal more damage than a longsword in 1H.

In my opinion the shield could give a slight - maybe 5-10% - penalty on a horse, but otherwise a longsword should deal roughly the same damage _and_ speed as a NCS.

Pure 2H: 20% damage penalty, slight speed buff
Bastard swords: Similar speed to 1H weapons (around 2spd nerf to the base values, 12.5% damage reduction on horse back and another 5-10% if used with a shield.
1h: 5-10% damage reduction with shield on horseback (if this is actually possible to code in to the game)

This would give the following stats for Longsword and ACS:
On horseback with shield: ACS 97spd, 32.4c LS 98spd 31.5c
On horseback w/o shield:  ACS 97spd, 36c LS 98spd 35c
On foot with shield:           ACS 97spd, 36c LS 98spd 35c
On foot without a shield:   ACS 97spd, 36c LS 100spd 40c
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 03:16:47 pm by Mr.K. »

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #78 on: March 25, 2014, 05:57:45 pm »
+2
@Mr. K
Please no? Right now, you get the full 41p with morningstar if you use it with or without shield on horseback (morningstar is 2h/1h). Even so, that sounds like a problem with the morningstar itself (or more importantly, bump slashing), since additional artificial nerfs would only hurt the other 2h/1h weapons.

With my proposed #s, 15% off a +3 bardiche, for instance, results in similar damage to what a +3 longsword/katana currently outputs. 12% off a +3 longsword is 35c. That's slightly weaker and with the speed debuff, noticeably slower than the ACS. 5% without a shield is a slight nerf compared to what we have now, but completely matching on foot damage is something I would like to have done away with due to the nature of how cav works. I want to have clear differences in damage between 1h, 2h/1h without shield, and pure 2h classes.

I disagree for having 2h being that weak and with 1h on horseback having a penalty with shield. Those changes would greatly weaken 2h. The 1h should be faster and more versatile, but not as hard-hitting IMO. The way weight works in the game is silly anyways, since most 1hs were increased by 0.5kg a few years back.

@Matim
(click to show/hide)

@Aksei
I think it's okay for 1h cav to have a slight disadvantage against 2h cav. You can't be too defensive against a 2h cav since they can cleave your horse in 2. Disagree about 1h being worse than 2h on foot.
if you change speed stuff we will see killingmaschines 2h on arabian horse  :mrgreen:
That's only for 2h+shield. 2h without shield uses their full speed as far as I know.

Offline Mr.K.

• Earl
  • Renown: 474
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmar Union
« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2014, 06:45:20 pm »
+1
@Mr. K
Please no? Right now, you get the full 41p with morningstar if you use it with or without shield on horseback (morningstar is 2h/1h). Even so, that sounds like a problem with the morningstar itself (or more importantly, bump slashing), since additional artificial nerfs would only hurt the other 2h/1h weapons.

I've asked this a couple of times and had a long talk with Tydeus just a few weeks ago on IRC and he claimed that 2H on horseback still gets a malus. My testing showed it gets zero malus, but he claimed it was just randomness and that I need to see the raw damage values to see how it really is. If 2H weapons on horse back get the full damage, that's utterly retarded and should be nerfed immediately. Why on earth would a weapon deal the same damage swung one-handed as it does two-handed. Clearly you'd be able to deal a ton more damage with two hands.

I just don't get why 2H cav and 1H cav should be any different when they use the same exact animations... Unless using a heavier weapon like a big axe for example, but right now those are the ones that are useless and deal similar damage to a longsword with half the reach...

Offline San

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2014, 10:17:29 pm »
Some changes to the classes were supposed to be put into effect last patch. I had my doubts after a while and needed to confirm what the damage reductions were currently, so I performed more damage tests. That's where the discrepancy comes from when you heard from Tydeus.

I just don't get why 2H cav and 1H cav should be any different when they use the same exact animations... Unless using a heavier weapon like a big axe for example, but right now those are the ones that are useless and deal similar damage to a longsword with half the reach...
2h on horseback lost its penalty back in 2012 in one of the old patches. Back then, I assumed it was only reduced instead of removed. Gameplay-wise, I think it's necessary to have tradeoffs for versatility to pure damage output, hence the 5% penalty without a shield and 12% penalty with a shield. Agree on the second part.

Let's be honest here, though. In the grand scheme of things, those small damage reductions still allow these classes to deal great damage with speed bonus and holds multiplying damage by so much. My biggest aim is to make "cheap" tactics like swinging away when sitting still/low speed for 1h cav less viable and ease on the 1-shots without making better use of those factors.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2014, 11:00:15 pm »
+1
Some changes to the classes were supposed to be put into effect last patch. I had my doubts after a while and needed to confirm what the damage reductions were currently, so I performed more damage tests. That's where the discrepancy comes from when you heard from Tydeus.
2h on horseback lost its penalty back in 2012 in one of the old patches. Back then, I assumed it was only reduced instead of removed. Gameplay-wise, I think it's necessary to have tradeoffs for versatility to pure damage output, hence the 5% penalty without a shield and 12% penalty with a shield. Agree on the second part.

Let's be honest here, though. In the grand scheme of things, those small damage reductions still allow these classes to deal great damage with speed bonus and holds multiplying damage by so much. My biggest aim is to make "cheap" tactics like swinging away when sitting still/low speed for 1h cav less viable and ease on the 1-shots without making better use of those factors.
Swinging away at low speed/standing still is actually better as 2h cav than 1h cav in my experience. from my experience it's just plain less glances as 2h cav compared to 1h cav.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline MURDERTRON

• King
  • Renown: 1337
  • Infamy: 428
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TRUMP / WEST 2020
« Reply #82 on: March 26, 2014, 06:46:38 am »
Give 2h axes overhead on horseback.
▀█▀▒█▀█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒█▒█▀█▒▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█
▒█▒▒█▄█▒█▒█▒██▒██▒█▄█▒▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒█
▒█▒▒█▀▄▒█▄█▒█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒▄

Offline Rando

• Duke
  • Renown: 593
  • Infamy: 183
  • cRPG Player
  • Chairman of the Refuge Against Domestic Violence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2018, 12:15:38 am »
completely agree, i'm tired of always getting 1-shot by people using 1h swords on cav
Women cannot be autistic, because that implies otherwise well functioning brain to be impaired in some way. We know that women posses no such thing.

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2018, 12:19:43 am »
+5
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline San

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2018, 01:41:57 pm »
+1
Bumpslash/stab deals half damage and all horses have no armor at the legs. If you're getting 1shot, they must be strong af or they got a really clean hit on you. (only responding to post-necro posts)

Offline Telford

• Baron
  • Renown: 96
  • Infamy: 6
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmar Unionen
  • Game nicks: Kalmarunionen_Telford_X | Kalmar_Koenigstiger_II | Kalmar_Windhund_XIV | Kalmar_Silberloewe_II |
« Reply #86 on: July 24, 2018, 01:06:49 am »
Nerfing 1h cav is a dipshit idea. Play the game more and it's a common sense, empirical conclusion. Lmao.

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2018, 11:52:14 am »
thread from 2014, really?

Offline Nickleback

• Hero of The Chamber of Tears
  • Earl
  • Renown: 338
  • Infamy: 263
  • cRPG Player
  • Sheogorath -a Daedra Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 16, 2018, 04:29:34 pm »
+1
They needed rando's constructive criticism back then.

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 16, 2018, 07:45:07 pm »
+2
They needed rando's constructive criticism back then.
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die