Perfectly balanced.
12 (15.8%)
I don't care because I am an archer.
4 (5.3%)
All OP
22 (28.9%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Voting closed: December 24, 2013, 10:24:30 pm

Author Topic: How do you really feel about the instastab?  (Read 1580 times)

Offline Herkkutatti666

• Duke
  • Renown: 585
  • Infamy: 285
  • cRPG Player
  • Rips pärs
    • View Profile
Re: How do you really feel about the instastab?
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2013, 01:02:21 pm »
bump
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Strudog

• Marshall
  • Renown: 922
  • Infamy: 361
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • A Dog
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Britfag
  • Game nicks: Strudog
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2013, 01:22:15 pm »
+2
Been playing with a German greatsword recently,

Only a few words can describe it:

(click to show/hide)
This is the internet.
Men are men
Women are men
Little girls are FBI agents.
Those are the rules no?

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2013, 03:19:56 pm »
+2
All OP in slightly different ways. 2h have the least damage but most ridiculous animation. Polearms have excellent damage, can hit for full damage instantly at facehug range, yet are also very long. 1h have good damage, good reach and very good speed. 1h are also able to do extremely fast stabs up close but at least with 1h weapons it makes sense because they are short.

Finally, the thrust stun that 2h stablovers keep on complaining about hits all 3 classes more or less equally. The difference in stun time between 2h and the others is small enough that it doesn't prevent polearms and 1h to be hit freely by fast weapons either.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 03:29:47 pm by Kafein »

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2013, 03:41:28 pm »
Finally, the thrust stun that 2h stablovers keep on complaining about hits all 3 classes more or less equally.
Highly Debatable.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2013, 04:50:40 pm »
I started playing with a standard Bamboo few days ago and beside that it's actually pretty fun, it also feels too easy to land.
Considering the "Insta-stab" I'd give the award to 1h tho cuz those are lightning fast now and never seem to bounce/glance.

Can't comment on 2h tbh cuz I never played any GS and Katana- and Warclub-stab are kinda out of competition, I guess :wink:
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Tore

• Item Manager
  • Renown: 882
  • Infamy: 329
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2013, 12:59:44 am »
OP is a hero

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2013, 01:18:44 am »
Spear is a highly under rated weapon :D

Awlpikes are more noticeable because of the insane damage they do while insta stabbing. 1h is fast but most people are getting used to it. 2h insta stab isnt really an issue. The problem is stabbing past you then turning in and getting hit hard :P
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2013, 01:44:07 am »
+3
Very strong, but not quite OP. Sadly, there's no option for that, so I voted balanced. Fast stabs would be okay if missing a stab had any sort of punishment. The amount of time you have from the end of one stab to hit you to the time another stab can hurt you after it misses is very small, which is why it's extremely difficult to force a glance the more powerful the stab since the glance-period is strict. There were a few times were I started my attack before the end of one stab missed and got hit by the next. Chambers are still an option, but they're less reliable than they used to be.

This makes it so that the only way to respond to a stab is if you manage to block it and punish the delay, or spam up close and don't let them turn it into you. If it's one centimeter off and misses instead, you're forced to block or you risk getting hit again. That's why I think a small delay after missing a stab makes sense if the early/late stabs can't be fixed; it also won't break stabs since missed swings are already much more punishable (still kind of quick if they "miss" aka hit an enemy, too, IMO).

Offline Jack1

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 231
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jack1_, Abbud_Amari, The_Doc, Gottlob_Kohlman
  • IRC nick: Risen_Jack
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2013, 02:01:44 am »
+2
1h: I think the stabs hit far too far into the animation than they should. Many people in the Frisian TS also agree that the long one handers have a lot of ghost reach on the stab that is hard to determine.

2h:long time of the animation were you can land a hit, but, a determinable area were you can get really long 2hs to glance for a free hit. (2h also has the longest animation from start to finish, giving it larger sweet spot and also larger glance spot.)

Polearm: hit right away in the animation but they also have an area at the end were you can get it to glance for a free hit depending on the polearm.

In conclusion, 1h is the most unbalanced. Edit: specifically long 4d 1hs

The top players actually vary from class to class. What I actually haven't seen so far is a cav topping the scoreboard.
When I get home I'll post a couple of my EU battles I have been in.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 02:16:22 am by Jack1 »
We're all nerds here, so it doesn't really matter.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 322
  • Infamy: 1351
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2013, 02:22:10 am »
Polearm: hit right away in the animation but they also have an area at the end were you can get it to glance for a free hit depending on the polearm.

I might be nub but still regularly glance on Druzhina STR freaks, no matter what armor they wear. Nothing worse than trying to stab a dude, him shrugging it off and keep his swinging business.

Agree about the rest, pretty spot on. One handed thrust has epic ghost reach.

Offline Herkkutatti666

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • Rips pärs
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2013, 03:31:30 am »

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2013, 12:16:51 pm »
+2
I might be nub but still regularly glance on Druzhina STR freaks, no matter what armor they wear. Nothing worse than trying to stab a dude, him shrugging it off and keep his swinging business.

Agree about the rest, pretty spot on. One handed thrust has epic ghost reach.

It's a little bit horrible to fight like this, but you have to imitate Teeth when your raw stata are not enough to pierce armor (like Knitler). And by imitate Teeth I mean move your camera like a ADHD squirrel, which includes systematic top-down stabbing on armored guys. Works everytime, with any type of weapon.

Very strong, but not quite OP. Sadly, there's no option for that, so I voted balanced. Fast stabs would be okay if missing a stab had any sort of punishment. The amount of time you have from the end of one stab to hit you to the time another stab can hurt you after it misses is very small, which is why it's extremely difficult to force a glance the more powerful the stab since the glance-period is strict. There were a few times were I started my attack before the end of one stab missed and got hit by the next. Chambers are still an option, but they're less reliable than they used to be.

This makes it so that the only way to respond to a stab is if you manage to block it and punish the delay, or spam up close and don't let them turn it into you. If it's one centimeter off and misses instead, you're forced to block or you risk getting hit again. That's why I think a small delay after missing a stab makes sense if the early/late stabs can't be fixed; it also won't break stabs since missed swings are already much more punishable (still kind of quick if they "miss" aka hit an enemy, too, IMO).

I really agree with this. Stabs have this weird property that if you miss one and the enemy tries to use your miss to attack you, you usually can do another one and hit before the enemy can hit you. Other attacks do not seem to work like this, and I don't really like the idea that missing a strike gives you the advantage. With swings it's almost always better to dodge rather than block, as dodging gives you a greater window of opportunity. With stabs it's reversed for some reason.

Highly Debatable.

It is slighlty longer yes, but in the end it just means you have to be more careful not to use a stab up close unless you are positive it won't be blocked, which is already the case with other weapon types. At longer ranges, this is usually a non-issue due to the longer time it takes to retaliate, and long range is precisely what the 2h stab is good at.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2267
  • Infamy: 74
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2013, 02:59:44 pm »
+1
It's a little bit horrible to fight like this, but you have to imitate Teeth when your raw stata are not enough to pierce armor (like Knitler). And by imitate Teeth I mean move your camera like a ADHD squirrel, which includes systematic top-down stabbing on armored guys. Works everytime, with any type of weapon.

I know that, but haven't practiced it enough so I often forget to do it when moment comes. Would like to see that shit fixed, because it makes no freaking sense.

Yes, stabs are broken. Because you need to pull off dumb shit like that or to wiggle huge twohander to actually hit something and not glance against armor.

Offline Herkkutatti666

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • Rips pärs
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2013, 02:53:40 pm »
punp

Offline Heibai

• Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 438
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • Traps aren't gay
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Krems I guess
  • Game nicks: Heibai
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2013, 03:03:53 pm »
+1
Who needs awlpike, I sold mine today. (thx to sraka)

Put it out of the game, but as a compensation, nerf 1h and 2h stab. :P
I hope you die IRL. What kind of fucking build is that?!