Author Topic: Cavalry in cRPG and Strategus  (Read 10487 times)

Offline dado

• Baron
  • Renown: 104
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TWISTED
  • Game nicks: TWISTED_FACE
Re: Cavalry in cRPG and Strategus
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2011, 06:15:23 pm »
I think we need more forms to organize the army on MP battles.
Like a commander, or divide by groups like in battlefield.
Pople just dont play their roles.
+1

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2011, 07:23:56 pm »
I think alot of people forget that for the most part, all around the world for a long period of time, Cavalry WAS a support/shock role, if it wanted to be effective against most decent armies that is, there was a very small time period in history where Heavy Cavalry could just charge mindlessly head on into the enemy ranks and win, which is why tactics like the Hammer and Anvil exist.

Often the Cavalry from both armies would engage in attempt to beat the enemies cavalry and rout them from the field, allowing them to flank the enemies already engaged infantry, charge and cause a mass rout, or in Strategus's case, mass casualties and a loss of posistion for the enemy army.

Cavalry will be very effective in Strategus without a doubt, in field battles of course, aslong as it is used properly. Charging cavalry at an enemy force in a good hard-to-flank posistion, who are armed with bows, crossbows, pikes and what not would be stupid thing to do and I'm glad Strategus reflects on this. Just look at some of the English victories over the French during the 100 years war, posistioned well with covered flanks ( forests and other obstacles ), ranged superiority and the French Knights, who were highly trained, experienced and equipped, got owned, because they kept charging straight across the field at the English armies.

The kind of equipment and technology in weaponry that cRPG has suggests that the era of Heavy Cavalry trampling over whole armies is long gone and they must be used wisely if they are to be effective, but when they are used effectively, they can cause an insane amount of damage, just like in normal battle games.

But this is the reason why my Strategus character ( my main ) is a 1h/shield + some pole, with some riding, so I can use him as either Infantry or Light/Medium Cavalry.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 07:31:55 pm by Leesin »

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2011, 07:48:58 pm »
you mentioned you don't care so much about the cav nerf, let me guess why
because anything else got nerfed/balanced too?

You perhaps remember me carrying a bamboo spear, not killing you with it but stopping you and then unhorsing you with my main weapon. This isn't the case anymore and till throwing gets a serious buff those aren't a problem either and not anyone who was polearm and was carrying a pike does that now because he doesn't have enough slots or the nerf to pick up his pike after an infantry encounter.
So from my point of view cav wasn't really nerfed but indirectly buffed, more then other classes through the last 2 patches. This isn't only my opinion but that of several cavs i have spoken to and not only out of my clan.

If strategus will be there, there will always be a chance to encounter moving troops while not at a castle or a town, if those aren't with protection but pure siege troops, my guess is they can be easily taken care of.

Also i am too seeing the counter argument as others in your statement. In crpg we are more unorganized which makes cav superior backstabers in strategus through organization this perhaps gets balanced out.
But as long strategus in its new form isn't here, who can tell for sure :)

cya in battle
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2011, 01:25:25 am »
There is many 1 slot sheathable weapon to stop a cav, fork, spear, etc...
Also, you can work with your teammate, piker will protect you against cav and you will protect them against infantry.
That's what is about Strategus, i understand that a cav could have problem to find his place in Strategus armies.

I guess cav will need new tactics, acting more like a group, i almost never see an organized charge from cavs in cRPG.

I hope that the clan specialized in cav will show great things and epic charge in Strategus.

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2011, 04:18:07 am »
There is many 1 slot sheathable weapon to stop a cav, fork, spear, etc...
Also, you can work with your teammate, piker will protect you against cav and you will protect them against infantry.
137 length isn't anything worth even thinking about against lances with 180+ length.

If you are with your clanmates and you are lucky and have dedicated pikemen then that is surly a nice thing,
but how many archers are unprotected in the public servers get either lanced by horses or backstabed by me :)

Besides i really enjoyed the challange going against cav with my bamboo spear although i mostly died in that attempt. That is the one change through the slot/sheatable balancing i really feel bad about.
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2011, 11:01:30 am »
organizing infantry makes them highly more effective in countering cav than organizing cav fostering its effectiveness against organized inf. 

I´d say it comes down to Leesins post.  +1
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Torben

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2011, 11:03:43 am »
stand alone that is.  as support organized cav is sth different
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes

Offline Jacko

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fffnanguard!
  • Game nicks: Jacko
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2011, 03:47:10 pm »
Let's hope we'll see some regular "plain" maps, instead of just siege like maps. Organized cavalry charges would be Freaking Epic.
Monkeys!

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2011, 04:07:14 pm »
Organized cavalry charges would be Freaking Epic.

I keep saying that for ages but that's not where this mod is heading, and it never was.  :wink:
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.

Offline okiN

• Marshall
  • Renown: 924
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2011, 05:31:23 pm »
It's not really related to the mod, it's just how the game works. It's possible to pull off formations etc sometimes, but as a general rule operating as a rigidly organized and tightly-knit group will always be a handicap rather than an advantage. I love doing it, too, but generally players favor winning over coolness.
Don't.

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2011, 05:49:05 pm »
yes, unlike real life where formations were needed to ensure that fights could work well together or they died. In this game you can die, learn from that mistake and carry on.  As such personal skill develops beyond any great NEED for tactics. Especially when a.) heavy cavalry is by nature of the game fairly weak and b.) people who use fast agile horses can rambo relatively easily.
Turtles

Offline Torben

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2011, 05:51:01 pm »
generally players favor winning over coolness.

where we r at it i want a sweet pair of shades to go with my nordic worlord helmet.

Offline hotcobbler

• Knight
  • Renown: 33
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus or a gun? How about both son?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Knights Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Featherbottom
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2011, 05:05:17 pm »
I totally disagree that cav formations will not be effective in organized battles. They play a great strategic and tactical role because of their rapid maneuverability and flanking potential. Even 5 cav in a line charging a flank is a huge distraction that can't be ignored without consequence. You simply need the right leadership, timing, and situational awareness to be a huge asset to your team.
Damn right I drink beer sideways.

Offline Joseph

• Knight
  • Renown: 26
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
  • I am your worst french nightmare.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2011, 06:46:56 am »
I am killing most of cavalry with my Longsword only, if you know what you are doing they can't realy do anything. :|
"Dam those peasants bite hard"

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2011, 10:00:36 am »
Cavalry charge with horses in cRPG dying so fast = impossible.

In native - perhaps.