Author Topic: could something be done about mauls please?  (Read 4139 times)

Offline Erzengel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 769
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Norse_Erzengel
Re: could something be done about mauls please?
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2013, 12:52:09 pm »
+2
They sacrifice quite allot to be able to crush  :wink:

1h left swing spam and stab are even more frustrating to everyone not using them, your point?

Unlike Mauls you can block left swings and stabs.

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 400
  • Infamy: 502
  • cRPG Player
  • Darksider on redemption
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2013, 12:54:43 pm »
cant you move around them?  and why block if you can hit them first?  you can constantly prevent their slow ass overhead by threatening them with a hit...  you can dance around them... ahrg
str maulers rly are only a threat if you get overwhelmed or do a mistake,  thats what i thought.   how much athl do you have?  how heavy is your gear?

nope, they ovehead and turn around, with me receiving full damage besides the overhead being completely off.

Mauls were already nerfed a lot. They used to be annoying, but now you can either spam them or block them*. In group fights pikers and other spearmen are even more annoying than maulers who you can outmaneuver most of the time even with 5 athletics.

*Do non-held overheads go through shields? If they don't, I don't see a problem here.

buff their speed then, and reduce the ct chance.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 01:28:14 pm by Nightmare798 »
Tseng: Used to the bitter taste of refusal, this only serves to reinforce his greatest life lession yet.
Cloud: And that is?
Tseng: Bitches, man.

Offline Mr.K.

• Earl
  • Renown: 474
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmar Union
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2013, 12:55:41 pm »
+6

You can block maul overheads unless they are held. Then you can either spam them if they try to hold the attack or run at them and make them miss the overhead. Good maulers are still a strong class, but it's only OP if you don't know how to fight them. S-key is the wrong way. And sometimes you just need to avoid them (tight spaces and so on).

nope, they ovehead and turn around, with me receiving full damage besides the overhead being completely off.

Mauls have the worst turn rate in game. I doubt they can turn 180 degrees and still hit. It's a bit wonky sometimes, but it's not as bad as you make it sound.

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2013, 01:02:42 pm »
+3

A mauler is usually a slow tincan that has very heavy armor, low ath, very slow weapon with bugged overhead hitboxes, I believe for all this sacrifices he makes current crushtrough chance is not even fair.

As an experienced shielder you must know that with proper footwork and that lighting left spam they should present no problem to you.

And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Utrakil

• Marshall
  • Renown: 885
  • Infamy: 182
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Randwig; Gerwin; Marketenderin; Fletcher
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2013, 01:07:36 pm »
A mauler is usually a slow tincan that has very heavy armor, low ath, very slow weapon with bugged overhead hitboxes, I believe for all this sacrifices he makes current crushtrough chance is not even fair.

As an experienced shielder you must know that with proper footwork and that lighting left spam they should present no problem to you.
For a 1v1 situation you are right. but in a groupfight it is very disturbing if your block is worth nothing.

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2013, 01:13:02 pm »
+4
For a 1v1 situation you are right. but in a groupfight it is very disturbing if your block is worth nothing.

Still you do block most things including projectiles which other melee classes don't have the luxury of and they also suffer to crushtrough.
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works

Offline bavvoz

• Earl
  • Renown: 323
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Bavvo
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2013, 01:15:02 pm »
+4
Maulers used to scare me :D U can either outspam them or simply keep the distance since u have longer reach

Offline Utrakil

• Marshall
  • Renown: 885
  • Infamy: 182
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Randwig; Gerwin; Marketenderin; Fletcher
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2013, 01:16:55 pm »
Still you do block most things including projectiles which other melee classes don't have the luxury of and they also suffer to crushtrough.
What I would like to see is that the crushthrough only knocks you down but does no damage. So at least there is some difference for me wheter I block or not.
I think a 100% knockdownchance against a block is still a pretty good bonus.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2013, 01:19:45 pm »
+3
Maulers used to scare me :D U can either outspam them or simply keep the distance since u have longer reach
This.

I mean wtf... has any of you recently played a mauler? Even with held overhead it's barely 50% CT on shielders anyway. Not to mention that with the high weight and low ath it's your own fault for even letting a maul into your range.
And in 5v1 situation you complain that there is actually one weapon group you can't block with the magic force field? -.-
This thread is ridiculous.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Erzengel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 769
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Norse_Erzengel
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2013, 01:22:05 pm »

Yeh, but they don't get slowed down by a shield, which equals between 1 and nearly 2 athletics. They also have much longer weapons which allows them to outmaneuver the mauler. Not even talking about the higher damage.

I often need about 10 hits to kill a tincan mauler. He only has to land one hit (overhead, kick or lucky chamber) and I am usually dead. 1vs1 is still ok. Group fights versus a Mauler on the other hand are just terrible because you can do nothing against them if they are decent players.

There are so many situations where you can't avoid a hit from a maul. I just want to have a decent protection against Mauls when I am using a heavy shield (which is designed to protect you from them).

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2013, 01:23:06 pm »
+5
What I would like to see is that the crushthrough only knocks you down but does no damage. So at least there is some difference for me wheter I block or not.
I think a 100% knockdownchance against a block is still a pretty good bonus.

Honestly how many times per day as a shielder you die to mauls and how many to other attacks you can prevent. Bet you don't even get clogged 10 times per day.

Now imagine the same feeling you get killed by crushtrough I feel being shot from afar as a shieldless melee  :mrgreen:

I often need about 10 hits to kill a tincan mauler.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2013, 01:24:11 pm »
+8
Mauls are a fairly hard playstyle in my opinion. Their slowness and unbalancedness leads to lots of free hits on you if you are not careful. With the current stab speeds and general ability to spam by most players you are just going to get spammed a lot. On battle its pretty hard to even get in reach of people with all the long pokey weapons and then still you are such a sucker for kicks and spam. Mauls have pretty much no turn rate and whenever I meet a mauler with my pike, I just run past him while his overhead misses. Playing as a 1h, slow maulers are just a complete non threat because you can outspam them everytime they attempt an overhead. Also, they don't crush through all that consistently.

There are so much tools do deal with mauls that I'd say you're doing something wrong. I'd a Barmace or a Danish over mauls any day. I just like the sound they make when they crush through.

Offline dreadnok

• Marshall
  • Renown: 838
  • Infamy: 562
  • cRPG Player
  • fuck these jerkoff kids
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KBW<MB<SoW
  • Game nicks: Gorp_The_Gorger
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2013, 01:27:05 pm »
30/9 should have dear trouble actually hitting you, try improving your approach

A 3 pound fucking shield slows you down more than a dude in full plate and a maul. Stop the madness. Mauls are trash.

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 400
  • Infamy: 502
  • cRPG Player
  • Darksider on redemption
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2013, 01:32:44 pm »
This.

I mean wtf... has any of you recently played a mauler? Even with held overhead it's barely 50% CT on shielders anyway. Not to mention that with the high weight and low ath it's your own fault for even letting a maul into your range.
And in 5v1 situation you complain that there is actually one weapon group you can't block with the magic force field? -.-
This thread is ridiculous.

oh yeah? my last 10 blocks on maul ovehead ended up in crushthrought. what the hell are you talking about?

lets see

pros: omniblock, protection against projectiles.

cons: shield gets broken in 4 hits from any axe, CT, huge movement speed penalty, attack speed penalty after successful block, bugged hitbox [somehow, people can wiggle their slashes around my shield at 60 degrees].

EDIT: even tried to manual block. with no avail.
Tseng: Used to the bitter taste of refusal, this only serves to reinforce his greatest life lession yet.
Cloud: And that is?
Tseng: Bitches, man.

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2013, 01:36:43 pm »
ah so few pros, maybe a 1h buff is in order?