Author Topic: "Free" MMORPG that's worth playing?  (Read 6177 times)

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
"Free" MMORPG that's worth playing?
« on: September 25, 2013, 08:24:55 pm »
+2
Now this is a tough one. Especially after discovering M&B combat system, the whole genre was forgotten, but even before, I couldn't really find one that's worth playing.

Friend of mine would like to play something with me but usually the ones he finds are crap, it would be nice to just level up and party up and stuff, like in the old days even if only for a week or so.

"Generic swords and magic beaten to death" genre is the most welcome, but if you got a nice experience of something different, I wanna know it.

Got any ideas?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: "Free" MMORPG that's worth playing?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 08:31:56 pm »
Try PlanetSide 2 again. The game keeps changing a great deal.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 08:34:22 pm »
Maybe Path of Exile? If you haven't played through yet. Well, it's not a MMORPG, but I don't like those...
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 08:36:20 pm »
Try PlanetSide 2 again. The game keeps changing a great deal.

They keep throwing "optimization" like it's top priority while it's the same shit for a year now, if not worse.

SmedBux only does this because it probably doesn't even run on a PS4, so he lashes planetside team fiercely to work it out until november, sigh

Long story short, I can't afford to have a nuclear reactor just because of SOE being retards
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 08:40:19 pm by Christo »

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 08:41:00 pm »
+5
You'll find it somewhere by El Dorado and the fountain of youth probably.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 08:42:36 pm »
You'll find it somewhere by El Dorado and the fountain of youth probably.

I doubt I'd care that much about it if it was there  :lol:

Offline Polobow

• Count
  • Renown: 267
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: SoA
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 08:45:59 pm »
Mabinogi.

You'll either like it very much, or instantly delete it.

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 08:46:52 pm »
+3
There really is none. NOOOOONE! Ive tried the same stuff with my friends aswell. Been on this road for long time now. All MMOs suck after playin Warband long enough. All of em. For some time I thought the only proper MMOs would be shipMMOs, or something where you bombard n00bs and stuff. Then atleast you dont have to have some shitty usual mano e mano MMOmeleecombat and dream about Warband while fighting. But those suck too. NFS online was okay for a day or 2. But it definately does not have enough appeal to try and grind it for months or something. You will quit fast I assure you.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 08:48:15 pm »
Warframe is like the only thing that managed to hold us down for a longer time now, and that's quite the accomplishment.

There is a difference between it and an MMO though.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 08:48:39 pm »
+2
Only MMORPG I ever enjoyed was Ultima Online (the old versions, not the newer dumbed down/more carebear versions).  There's a player run shard called Defiance that has about 600-700 people online at max times. 

It's a pretty good game IMO.  The key points for me are:

Fighting over resources (no instances, all resources have to be competed for, but they regenerate over time as well). 

PVP anywhere, any time (most towns have guards however, and if you commit a crime in front of an NPC you will get guard whacked and die instantly, or if you commit a crime against someone and they yell Guards)

There's a criminal system, everyone starts out "Blue" (innocent).  If you commit a crime you are "Grey" (Criminal) for 2 minutes and 2 or 20 seconds, can't recall exactly) then you go back to being blue.  If you are criminal anyone can attack you or loot your corpse without any penalties (other than you being able to aggress against them at any point until they die, even if they are blue.  So if I'm a criminal and someone attacks me, I can hunt them down an hour later and if I guess they haven't died, we can both be blue and I can attack them).  You can loot blue corpses but it's a criminal act (and timer is reset after each crime).
If you player kill enough innocent people you will become a player killer (Red) and will stay red for some time.  I can't recall the whole system, but basically there's a short term count and long term count.  If you only kill a couple people you'll be blue within a day or so.  But if you rack the kills up over a long period continously, you'll be red for a long time.  PK's are insta killed if they enter any guarded zones (there's towns that are not guarded however).

Almost everything on you is fully lootable (in this version Defiance runs, I believe everything is lootable on you).  So it's a really big calculation of risk vs reward when you decide what to bring with you on adventures.

There's player run NPC vendors (players can set whatever price they want, but there's a pretty consistent going price for items, just have to figure it out).  Or you can buy/sell some things from town vendors. 

You can place houses in the world (kind of hard in some areas), and houses decay after a period of time (believe 14 days from the last time you visited the house).  When a house decays the stuff falls on the ground and can be picked up by anyone who passes by. 

You can steal from other players (requires quite a bit of dedication to make a thief).
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 08:57:10 pm »
LotRO. Simply don't play night and day but enjoy a trip to Middle Earth. There are also near to no restrictions unless you want to really spend all day and night there and do everything, then the idea of paying about 10$ a month is better. Elsewise you do deeds and get free points for the ingame store where you can purchase quest areas and addons.
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 08:59:34 pm »
I had high hopes for the new Darkfall game but heard a lot of bad things about it's implementation.  The draws for me were the PVP system and loot drop.  And that was enough to interest me in checking it out, but heard they've had lots of issues with the game itself.  And it's not free.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 09:05:30 pm »
+3
I've tried literally hunderds of MMOs. Trust me, none are worth it currently, but there are a few to keep an eye on that will hopefully be out soon. That's not to say you wouldn't enjoy in any currently on the market, but finding one that suits you greatly is hard. If you find some that make you interested you can just post here and ask whats my experience with it. I am a fucking dictionary when it comes to this.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 09:07:48 pm »
I've tried literally hunderds of MMOs. Trust me, none are worth it currently, but there are a few to keep an eye on that will hopefully be out soon. If you find some that make you interested you can just post here and ask whats my experience with it. I am a fucking dictionary when it comes to this.

This is why I like this community, always a walking dictionary of experiences somewhere you can ask.

What are those "keep an eye on" things?

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2013, 09:09:34 pm »
LotRO....
Tried that game too. Played for a week then gave up.  The combat was your average lame MMO combat. But to its credit , it really was better then some other games in its class for some odd reason. I did end up playin it more then I originally thought.