Author Topic: Map-making and Siege Beta Guide, Submitting and Maintaining maps  (Read 20418 times)

Offline Fips

• Renown: 1217
  • Infamy: 290
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Fips_HRE
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 06:44:25 pm by RD_Professor »

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Elindor
Re: Map-making and Siege Beta Guide, Submitting and Maintaining maps
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 11:12:09 pm »
So, been a while since I worked on maps, and in getting back into it I decided to make a new copy of my cRPG folder since a lot had changed and called it cRPG Map Editing.  I open this module and in the Scene Editor I am able to get around the maps just right.  However, when I go to HOST one, two things happen.  For one, I'm pretty sure that the names in the selection do not correlate to the map with that name - but I don't really get to find out because my game quickly crashes after that with some "OP Code 16" message or something.

Any thoughts on this?
I want to be able to test the maps, is why I want to get to the host mode.  Used to work... :(

EDIT :
So I realized I could work around this by copying the altered map into the main crpg scene objects folder and retaining the old one by temporarily naming it _copy so it isnt deleted.  BUT - my problem is still that in the HOST GAME interface, when you select a map, for instance Rochester Castle, and load it, ITS NOT THE RIGHT CASTLE!  They are all seemingly mislabeled.  Any thoughts on this?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 11:23:29 pm by Elindor »
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • Renown: 367
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • what? ... What? ... WHAT?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Ward of Mithrim
  • Game nicks: Warden_Thranduil The_Doctor
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 11:40:29 pm »
Elindor, IMO (though I cannot say for certain without access), this has to do with a misnumbering of the scenes in the python code (specifically the files module_scenes.py and module_scripts.py). Again, I have no method of confirming this. And we have no way of fixing this. It's on the coder's end (unless they start supplying the .py codes).

*EDIT*

If you saw my advice on finding your map, nevermind. I tried it under different circumstances, and it ain't even close.  :oops:
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 11:49:30 pm by Thranduil »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Viriathus

• Count
  • Renown: 273
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player
  • !TI SLLIW DOG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Crusader_Alliance
  • Game nicks: Templar_Viriathus
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 12:09:34 am »
Remember guys! TO HOST A MAP, MAKE SURE YOU SELECT DEATHMACH, other wise it will crash.

Offline Fips

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 12:16:42 am »
Remember guys! TO HOST A MAP, MAKE SURE YOU SELECT DEATHMACH, other wise it will crash.

No. If you put everything into the crpg module you can run the map with the actual battle or siege (beta) mode.

Putting everything into the crpg module as a blank does not screw with the game and it's a working testing area. If you want to test your maps with bots n stuff, you will have to make a dedicated crpg server. Actually, i will put the link in the OP.

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 04:27:16 am »
Fips, any comment on the misnaming of the maps in the HOST options that Thranduil and I are talking about?

Offline Teeth

• Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 11:04:44 am »
+1
The way Fips told me to do it works perfectly. I'll explain it in here because it would save us a lot of work if you all are able to test doors and stuff yourself. I think the map rotation names are 20 spots off with the scenes. If you want to see a certain map, you will have to host the map that is 20 spots down in the rotation. This is how I do it:

- Rename any map you want to host/test to a random blank, I use blank 12 for example
- Copy your renamed map, for example scn_blank_12 into your regular cRPG/SceneObj folder
- Change the terrain code of scn_blank_12 to the terrain code of your map in the scenes.txt
- Launch regular cRPG with the launcher (without WSE2)
- Host blank 32, which 12+20. If you used blank_46, host blank 66 and so on. You can host all game modes no problem by the way afaik.
- Test that shit

Also if you find the map selection window in the hosting screen annoying, you can also host a random map and submit a poll, which gives you a much easier selection window.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 11:13:21 am by Teeth »

Offline Fips

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 11:33:41 am »
Fips, any comment on the misnaming of the maps in the HOST options that Thranduil and I are talking about?

I think i found something in the code which in my opinion could cause this. But they are only comments (after a #) so they shouldn't do anything at all. But the thing is, in the scripts there are exactly 20 comments behind the map-codes, so i don't know.
I also remember having to click only on the next map in the list when i started making maps and hosting them, and there is another random comment behind only one line in the scenes file.
Coincidence? I think not. But i have to wait for jackos response if i can just delete those comments (and see what happens after the next patch xD).

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 06:40:01 pm »
I think i found something in the code which in my opinion could cause this. But they are only comments (after a #) so they shouldn't do anything at all. But the thing is, in the scripts there are exactly 20 comments behind the map-codes, so i don't know.
I also remember having to click only on the next map in the list when i started making maps and hosting them, and there is another random comment behind only one line in the scenes file.
Coincidence? I think not. But i have to wait for jackos response if i can just delete those comments (and see what happens after the next patch xD).

Are copies of the files on your computer? If so, you can just build a new module and test it. If you have all the .py files and the Windows Batch File build_module, then edit the python code, run the batch file and test in-game. It should be as simple as that.

EDIT

Another possibility (and this is all the more likely) is that the order of the maps in the files module_scenes.py and module_scripts.py do not match. If they do not match, then you could see this issue. Actually, depending on terrain codes and map sizes, you could see worse and the problem would be more obvious then, but again, this is just another possibility.

(click to show/hide)

Okay, so I was right. The magic number 20 only applies to black scenes though. The ones with names can be out of sorts anywhere from 16 to 20 maps.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 06:45:06 pm by Thranduil »

Offline Fips

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 06:42:52 pm »
Are copies of the files on your computer? If so, you can just build a new module and test it. If you have all the .py files and the Windows Batch File build_module, then edit the python code, run the batch file and test in-game. It should be as simple as that.

I removed them and since it won't cause any trouble (according to jacko) i'll just wait for the patch and be totally surprised then...well, if it worked.

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 07:06:39 pm »
I removed them and since it won't cause any trouble (according to jacko) i'll just wait for the patch and be totally surprised then...well, if it worked.

Lol. I am aquiver with anticipation.  :mrgreen:

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 08:08:18 pm »

Is this something we could replicate for ease of use on our end until the patch? (and if so, can you list the steps?)

Because I do prefer HOST mode.

Offline Fips

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 08:21:46 pm »
Is this something we could replicate for ease of use on our end until the patch? (and if so, can you list the steps?)

Because I do prefer HOST mode.

Nope, you don't have access to those kind of files  :D
I mean, yes, i could test them in my own module, but that would require a lot of tedious copy&pasting with no real possibility that it would actually work. I prefer waiting for a patch^^

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 10:53:00 pm »
The way Fips told me to do it works perfectly. I'll explain it in here because it would save us a lot of work if you all are able to test doors and stuff yourself. I think the map rotation names are 20 spots off with the scenes. If you want to see a certain map, you will have to host the map that is 20 spots down in the rotation. This is how I do it:

- Rename any map you want to host/test to a random blank, I use blank 12 for example
- Copy your renamed map, for example scn_blank_12 into your regular cRPG/SceneObj folder
- Change the terrain code of scn_blank_12 to the terrain code of your map in the scenes.txt
- Launch regular cRPG with the launcher (without WSE2)
- Host blank 32, which 12+20. If you used blank_46, host blank 66 and so on. You can host all game modes no problem by the way afaik.
- Test that shit

Also if you find the map selection window in the hosting screen annoying, you can also host a random map and submit a poll, which gives you a much easier selection window.

Works. 
Weird...but thanks!

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 11:21:41 pm »
Is there some way to get new ground textures into the mod? For some reason I see on certian maps different looking ground textures. Even blood on some.