Author Topic: Divinity: Original Sin  (Read 14136 times)

Offline Devilize

• Baron
  • Renown: 125
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
  • GOD WILLS IT!!!
    • View Profile
    • cRPG_NA Server info
  • Faction: Knights Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Devilize, Hospitaller_Devil_Eyez
  • IRC nick: Devilize
Re: Divinity: Original Sin
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2014, 01:27:39 pm »
+1
So this is basically Baldur's Gate 2? Do y'all think it's better, as good, or a bit worse? Have they made improvements in several areas or is it just trying to reach towards that kind of gameplay?

I've been in alpha for a long time now and this game is solid fun, builds on what Baldur's Gate has done in the past by modernizing an old style, the combat is on par with Dragon Age for pc and the questing is excellent, very much a throw back to Marrowind where research and reasoning play a front seat over following an arrow to collect x amount of bullshit. My impression that the game alone deserves a 9/10 and with the mod community in play you're looking at a solid 9.5, you wont find anything better or on par atleast till Wasteland 2 comes out in august.

Offline Polobow

• Count
  • Renown: 267
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: SoA
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2014, 01:34:50 pm »
Should I play this solo, or co-op with a friend, for the first time?

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2014, 02:08:13 pm »
+2
Like what's happening right now with PC RPGs as a backlash against the console and publishing erosion of the genre. Divinity, Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, Torment: Tides of Numenera etc.

Chris Avellone: "Those [console] limitations affect RPG mechanics and content more than players may realize (especially for players who've never played a PC RPG and realize what's been lost over the years), and often doesn't add to the RPG experience".

In an interview, Josh Sawyer stressed that being free of the limitations of a publisher would enable them to "delve into more mature subject matter[...] slavery, hostile prejudice (racial, cultural, spiritual, sexual), drug use and trade, and so on will all help flesh out the story".

Offline okiN

• Marshall
  • Renown: 924
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2014, 02:41:54 pm »
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

So this is basically Baldur's Gate 2? Do y'all think it's better, as good, or a bit worse? Have they made improvements in several areas or is it just trying to reach towards that kind of gameplay?

It's broadly similar, but actually feels pretty different. The atmosphere is more light-hearted and there are many things about the gameplay that are new and interesting, all in all it feels surprisingly fresh rather than just being a rehash of an old classic formula. I wouldn't say the writing is on the level of BG2 but it's a very fun and addictive game. This is definitely game of the year for me so far.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 03:19:30 pm by okiN »
Don't.

Offline Radament

• King
  • Renown: 1071
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • ☑Yes ☒No
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction
  • Game nicks: «Radament» «Miasma»
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2014, 04:33:30 pm »
+2
anyone like me , greedy basterds , tried to
(click to show/hide)

obviously i didn't save the game  :?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2014, 06:09:56 pm »
anyone like me , greedy basterds , tried to
(click to show/hide)

obviously i didn't save the game  :?
Yep.  :?
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
  • Renown: 446
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SeQueL
  • IRC nick: SeQueL
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2014, 09:00:41 pm »
+2
Me and my friend have put 24 hours into Divinity and if we had not re-created our characters half way through Area 1 I'd say it would have most likely taken us a good 14 hours to pass it (we just beat Area 1 last night on our Lone Wolf characters). Not sure how many more areas there are but god damn, I'm already happy with the $40 purchase.

Offline okiN

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2014, 10:11:32 pm »
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
Don't.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2014, 03:10:43 am »
How viable is dipping into magic for melee characters? Thinking about giving my two-hander just enough magic skillz so he can use invisibility.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline okiN

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2014, 03:33:44 am »
I've steered clear of doing anything that requires two primary attributes, I have a hunch hybrids would be a little gimpy. Skill points are also at such a premium that I'm having a little trouble getting all the secondary skills (social, crafting, thieving etc) in the party while accessing high-level abilities even without starting down that road. My focusing Jahan entirely on elemental mage skills probably has something to do with that though, I've got all four paths open for him and sinking all his points into those just barely lets me keep up with the spell levels.
Don't.

Offline Radament

• King
  • Renown: 1071
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • ☑Yes ☒No
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction
  • Game nicks: «Radament» «Miasma»
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2014, 03:56:45 am »
am i the only one still in the city stealing from the richs , trying to catch chickens , chatting with useless NPCs regarding their lives and shooting random fireballs around?  :oops:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2014, 04:02:25 am »
How viable is dipping into magic for melee characters? Thinking about giving my two-hander just enough magic skillz so he can use invisibility.

My friend is a shield wielding mage with Geomancer and Pyro, expect in our game were playing with Lone Wolf talent so we get a extra skill point per level which I'm sure helps. It's working really well though.

Offline okiN

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2014, 04:04:28 am »
am i the only one still in the city stealing from the richs , trying to catch chickens , chatting with useless NPCs regarding their lives and shooting random fireballs around?  :oops:

Well, the only NPCs I haven't spoken to about everything already are the copy-pasted ones who all cycle through the same dialogues after a few conversations -- and the animals, because it's impossible to keep track of them all so I haven't bothered trying to chase down each individual one. I admit I didn't break into each and every room and chest in Cyseal, and I haven't done a whole lot of pickpocketing, but I did a pretty thorough job of burglarizing and looting my way through the world and I now have over 300k gold so I feel like I can maybe overlook a random lockbox here and there that probably only contains some shitty 1000 gold items anyway. Saving the world seems to be progressing pretty nicely, I'm just taking my time with it and doing everything else I can think of as I go along.

My friend is a shield wielding mage with Geomancer and Pyro, expect in our game were playing with Lone Wolf talent so we get a extra skill point per level which I'm sure helps. It's working really well though.

Doesn't it get annoying with having to split points between intelligence and strength, though? Or does he shave them off the secondary attributes?
Don't.

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2014, 04:20:58 am »
Well, the only NPCs I haven't spoken to about everything already are the copy-pasted ones who all cycle through the same dialogues after a few conversations -- and the animals, because it's impossible to keep track of them all so I haven't bothered trying to chase down each individual one. I admit I didn't break into each and every room and chest in Cyseal, and I haven't done a whole lot of pickpocketing, but I did a pretty thorough job of burglarizing and looting my way through the world and I now have over 300k gold so I feel like I can maybe overlook a random lockbox here and there that probably only contains some shitty 1000 gold items anyway. Saving the world seems to be progressing pretty nicely, I'm just taking my time with it and doing everything else I can think of as I go along.

Doesn't it get annoying with having to split points between intelligence and strength, though? Or does he shave them off the secondary attributes?

He shaves them off secondary attributes.

Offline okiN

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2014, 04:51:49 am »
I'd hate to stint on those though, because I loves mah HP and AP.
Don't.