Author Topic: Divinity: Original Sin  (Read 14135 times)

Offline Radament

• King
  • Renown: 1071
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • ☑Yes ☒No
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction
  • Game nicks: «Radament» «Miasma»
Re: Divinity: Original Sin
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2014, 06:32:39 pm »
+2
released ...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
  • Renown: 446
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SeQueL
  • IRC nick: SeQueL
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2014, 07:23:04 pm »
+1
released ...

Thatssss awesome. Eagerly awaiting my friend to come online so we can play.

Offline okiN

• Marshall
  • Renown: 924
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2014, 11:52:15 pm »
+1
Picked it up, it's a little buggy and lacking polish here and there in general, but very fun overall.
Don't.

Offline Radament

• King
  • Renown: 1071
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • ☑Yes ☒No
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction
  • Game nicks: «Radament» «Miasma»
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2014, 04:44:49 am »
+1
i'm loving the double dialogue options , that thing could fuck up leshma's brain i'm sure.
anyway i'm waiting for someone to pick it up and do coop cause i think it's extremely fun with other people.

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
  • Renown: 446
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SeQueL
  • IRC nick: SeQueL
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2014, 10:32:08 am »
+2
I've made 2 games with my friend. The first one we had us 2 and 2 companions but we discovered this trait called Lone Wolf which makes it so we can't recruit any companions and everything must be done with just us 2 alone in exchange we get +1 skillpoint every level and +2 more AP and something else which I forget. With the lack of companions and playing on hard difficulty makes for a serious challenge. Tactics must be used, or you will die. Saving often is required, or you will lose progress.

Great fun, I'm in love with this game and so if he. Many laughs are being had and every day I'm excited to play more. I LOVE the puzzles in the game (you actually have to think about it) and zero hand holding this game has, you learn from trial and error. No quest markers, only clues and hints.

Would recommend 9/10. Only reason I didn't give it a 10/10 is due to a few glitches and lack of polish however they have already released 5 hotfixes within 4 days of release so I have zero worries this wont just get better, not to mention the editor which will allow modders to create FULL campaigns of any scale and publish them for anyone to play. Someone has already made a mod that allows you to 4 player coop (although in alpha/rough stage). It just shows how much freedom you can have with their editor.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 07:48:47 pm by SeQuel »

Offline okiN

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2014, 12:51:25 pm »
+1
i'm loving the double dialogue options , that thing could fuck up leshma's brain i'm sure.
anyway i'm waiting for someone to pick it up and do coop cause i think it's extremely fun with other people.

It does seem like it would be excellent for co-op, just incredibly time-consuming and demanding serious commitment if you plan to properly complete the game. I have no idea how long the campaign is but I'm just starting to explore the witch's forest (having completed all the quests etc in the starting area) and I've already sunk 20 hours into this. And yeah, I already mentioned on IRC that the game was making me feel schizophrenic because I'm constantly arguing with myself and playing rock paper scissors against myself since I want my two characters to have different personalities (and corresponding bonuses). However, there's a really annoying glitch that makes it so that whenever the two PCs talk to each other about the personality traits they've developed, the roles are always reversed, which bugs me to no end.

Also, do the conversations with NPC companions ever affect anything? Didn't see any indications of that.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 12:55:16 pm by okiN »
Don't.

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2014, 01:06:26 pm »
+1
the game was making me feel schizophrenic because I'm constantly arguing with myself and playing rock paper scissors against myself

Same as your cRPG personality, at least you're consistent and true to your style.
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.

Offline okiN

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2014, 01:10:38 pm »
+1
What, I'm the most consistent and unequivocal guy around!
Don't.

Offline Tennenoth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 818
  • Infamy: 85
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "Bloody peasant archers!"
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Head)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tenne; Guard_The_Biscuits; Guard_Bugden; Guard_Tennenuff
  • IRC nick: Tennenoth
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2014, 11:17:42 pm »
+8
Thoroughly enjoying the game once again, even with a different partner this time.

Originally did part of a play through with my younger brother, both learning together and go through the story together, this time around I am playing with a friend who has no idea about the game, and I'm taking a backseat role.

I honestly feeling well suited to the backseat role as I feel like a companion. I've let him decide where to go and what to do and helped him when he asked, but also taking over the "battle tactics" when needed.

Had a couple of situations where I was off robbing someones house when I got a "Tenne, I'm being attacked" and so, I teleported over using the pyramid. I found he was in the upstairs of the tavern, and I asked "why are these people attacking you?", he replied with "I called her a witch and she got angry!".

"Oh", I mumbled before promptly being stabbed in the back by a knife wielding citizen. "Why the hell is this bloke stabbing me? What have you gotten me into?" - "I don't know, he also got angry, but I never called him a witch!" - "Well, I better not walk downstairs and get attacked by the entire bloody tavern!" - "I never thought about that." - "?!?"

Odd that I found my position of, more or less, the leader's babysitter to be quite so amusing. Just rolling with the flow and stepping in when I was needed, I did almost none of the talking, besides the points where it was down to the companion chats, which are rather funny.

On a game point of view, I am highly into the combat system, I've always liked the RPG element of games, and I was a huge fan of Baldur's Gate and the similar style of combat, the "turn based roll" type thing, and this feels very much, to me at least, to be a version of that where instead of tapping space and pausing the game every five seconds, it gives turns. I would definitely recommend the game to any RPG fan and have gone as far as to say that it is my favourite RPG since Baldur's Gate itself, even with my rose tinted glasses. Also, alongside that, the ability to use elements is highly addictive and it is a really nice addition to the standard mechanics. My new favourite thing to do is to slap a zombie around with some arrows, leaving a trail of poison, then launching an explosive/fire arrow at it, causing a chain reaction. It works especially well if you catch a couple of zombies in the mix, you get a very satisfying fireworks display!

I'd have liked a fleshed out crafting system however, you have the ability to craft some basic equipment, give some basic enchantments and even improve the equipment to a small degree but it gives no indication of what is actually going to come out of the process. I'm still unsure if I make a sword at level 5, will it be of a higher level than if I made it at level 1? (With the same blacksmithing skill). I genuinely don't know. Personally with the way the crafting system is, I don't think it is necessary at all, I would have probably been happier that it not exist at all so that it won't get in the way and feel obligated to use it, despite not needing to in the slightest.

I have similar reservations regarding durability, I like the idea of having to maintain your equipment but so far all you need to do to repair the equipment is to find a repair hammer and have one point in blacksmithing. After that, it seems to become a none issue (don't know in the later game since I am only level 5) as you can repair your equipment, for free, anywhere and at any time. It's another thing that is obligatory, yet unnecessary. It should at least force you to have to go back to a crafting station, an anvil or a leather rack or something in a town to break up the adventuring and give you a solid reason to dart back to do a bit of shopping. Instead it's just "oh, I've got a yellow symbol, betting whip out the old hammer and start hitting my chest piece while still wearing it!"

So yes, to summarise so far is that the combat is fun, challenging and really quite solid, the crafting and durability systems seem lackluster and the whole experience is best played with another person and I really like the environmental interactions. I would recommend it.

Excuse the long post, quite enthusiastic about this one, but then I'm easily pleased.

BullDog Clan member since 31/08/2010 / Caravan Guild member since 03/08/2010

How to understand what I say.
Always finish your tea and biscuits regardless of how terrible they are

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2014, 01:01:36 am »
+3
Given those excellent reviews I'm interested now

Offline bilwit

• Agent provocateur
  • Count
  • Renown: 275
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The toast is anarchy!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Billy_Whitmore, Andre_Whitmore, Gideon_Stargrave
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2014, 07:31:09 am »
+1
 is it me or are rogues completely fucking worthless?

Most of us are currently living off relatives, friends, parttime-jobs or savings, to be able to work as much and cheaply as possible.

Offline okiN

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2014, 07:53:43 am »
+1
Dunno, my party is fighter/fighter/ranger/wizard, haven't tried any of the scoundrel or witch skills.

I've run into an annoying problem, though.

(click to show/hide)
Don't.

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2014, 12:55:05 pm »
+1
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 234
  • cRPG Player
  • (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻. take all my upvotes! Part-time retard
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild Enthousiast,
  • Game nicks: Wy can't I upvote my own posts, Im a fucken genius, yo.
  • IRC nick: Joseph_Porta
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2014, 12:58:32 pm »
+1
This topic and game deserves more attention!

I got my Early Access already quite a while ago and with the release on 28.02. closing, I think it's a good idea to get word out again.

Latest developer update video:

Holy cow that looks pretty
I loot corpses of their golden teeth.
But he'll be around somewhere between Heaven and The Devil, because neither of them will take him in, and he'll be farting loudly and singing a filthy song.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2014, 01:18:23 pm »
So this is basically Baldur's Gate 2? Do y'all think it's better, as good, or a bit worse? Have they made improvements in several areas or is it just trying to reach towards that kind of gameplay?
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.