Author Topic: Moderators in this community  (Read 5466 times)

Offline Arathian

• Duke
  • Renown: 650
  • Infamy: 175
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Pick it up you white ass cracka
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Frisians
  • Game nicks: Arathian, schizophrenic_axe_murderer
Moderators in this community
« on: April 12, 2013, 06:02:16 am »
+29
(click to show/hide)

I will try to keep this civil. Hopefully others will too.

I haven't played c-rpg over a month. I was using that period to contemplate whether I actually wanted to come back. I decided I will, and this game's still worth and effort, so this is why we have this thread.

The mods of this community have tried to keep at least the pretences of being "neutral enforces of the written rules". Random bans and random actions are punished and, heck, a leak from the mod channel in IRC caused a whole witch hunt. Admins (who get selected by mods directly) are also expected to not ban randomly.

For this reason, we supported this developer team with our money. Because we believe you guys are professionally.

However, Shik doesn't really feel like following these rules, apparently. In case you missed the drama, the quick links to it are here

http://forum.meleegaming.com/game-admin-feedback/(global)-shik/165/
http://forum.meleegaming.com/global/irc-unban/

For the lazy ones:

BADPLAYER had made a ban request for racism then proceeded to make some statements that are, objectively, racist. I called him on his shit which resulted me in getting perma-banned in IRC. When I asked to be unbanned, he went into a full-on racist tirante. He never got banned from IRC.

Shik is Chinese. So is BADPLAYER. Most people say he is "trolling". I don't give a fuck if they are "trolling" or not because this stopped being funny a while back. BADPLAYER has been permabanned in the past for very serious offences and Shik bailed him out because he is his buddy. He goes on to break rules, he doesn't get banned because Shik's his buddy. He then proceeds to ban everybody that calls BADPLAYER on his shit.

I want to return to this game, but I can't if I know such mod abuse exists. It is simply not worth my time.

edit: I should mention it isn't just Shik. I tried to speak to other mods to solve this in a civil way, but they just decided to "ignore it and it will go away"

edit2: fixed title for clarity
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 06:07:16 am by Arathian »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Muki

• Earl
  • Renown: 455
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • 偽善正義
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Exile
  • Game nicks: Muki
  • IRC nick: Muki, Muki39
Re: Moderators in this community
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 06:12:53 am »
Believe Badplayer is british not chinese; than again  I don't know him in rl

As a volunteer admin I clearly have no life and live only to eradicate all fun and enjoyment from the game. Your tears of rage are all the payment I need.
Yes I drew most of my avatars

Offline Arathian

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 06:13:31 am »
+2
Then he does have a very weird obsession with Chinese.

Offline Dooz

• Duke
  • Renown: 674
  • Infamy: 165
  • Horrible_Human
    • View Profile
    • Wasteland Fight Club
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 06:24:58 am »
+9
Oh there's shitheads around here? Well god damn.

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 06:25:43 am »
+2
Believe Badplayer is british not chinese; than again  I don't know him in rl

He lives in Britain, no idea about whether he is Chinese or not.

to add a bit more fuel to the drama thread though... theres been plenty of examples of shitty things happening lately without any response from the devs at all. Admins appear to be trying to keep things under control but there are limits on what they can do and the devs dont seem to be offering them any support anymore... its a pretty bad situation.

Offline Arathian

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 06:30:50 am »
+2

to add a bit more fuel to the drama thread though... theres been plenty of examples of shitty things happening lately without any response from the devs at all. Admins appear to be trying to keep things under control but there are limits on what they can do and the devs dont seem to be offering them any support anymore... its a pretty bad situation.

The game is still good...but this behaviour is very disheartening.

Offline DUKE DICKBUTT

• Baron
  • Renown: 138
  • Infamy: 119
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 06:41:45 am »
+8

I might argue that admins exacerbate the issues through inaction and selective enforcement.  Many admins choose which rules they want to enforce, and who they want to enforce these rules on, which means they aren't doing a complete job.  It doesn't help that most of the NA admin base is largely inactive, but the second we get an admin who does his job completely and backs up every word he has said is fired within hours.  When this happens, other admins who want to do a good job worry that if they are over zealous, they will lose their powers.  Yes, being an admin is inconvenient most of the time.  That is the nature of the beast.  Unfortunately, it is unpaid, too.  You can quit at any time, but most are addicted to the power that comes with it.  Maybe it's just the ability to kick leechers when you only have 1x, maybe you secretly like to grief other players or clans you hold a grudge against.  I have no idea.  But this just goes back to me saying in other threads that admins keep their powers in this community much longer than they would in other communities even when they are inactive or there are tell-tale signs of abuse or corruption.  For whatever reason, there is a feeling that there must be a great cost to give someone a trial period as admin when there is virtually no down side.  When you have more admins on, they will effectively police each other.  If one steps too far out of line, the others will report it.  But when there is only one admin at a time, like it has been lately, they are more or less free to do what they want.  And we've had a recent episode of that, which I'm sure no one wants to see happen again.

Also, I am a Chinese American, like Shik.  However, seeing a racial slur doesn't cause me to lose all sense and do whatever I can to hurt another person.  I just laugh at their pettiness and go on living my life.  I am here to play a video game, not fight for equal or civil rights and solve all of the worlds problems one IRC channel at a time.  Banning someone for saying something you don't like is like pulling a gun cause you got made fun of in school.  It is a cop out, something only cowards would do and not the sign of someone who is mental well-being.  I do not know much about Shik's stature, but I do know he has tried to sneak into my clan's Teamspeak and record us.  When called out on it, he just says "Well... you see..." and leaves the server.  Of course, he was in league with Smoothrich, and we all know what kind of stand up guy he is.  Though my exposure to Shik has not been particularly long lived or have my dealings with him been frequent, I do not feel he makes sound decisions and I do not feel he is a great person to have in this community, particularly in a position of power.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 06:55:53 am by DUKE DICKBUTT »

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 06:42:49 am »
+15
The simple answer is to make Frank an admin so he can ban EU...

FRANK FOR PRESIDENT!
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 07:03:23 am »
+9
If you make me admin, I promise equal apathy and not to enforce any rules on anyone.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Kelugarn

• Marshall
  • Renown: 936
  • Infamy: 79
  • #̪͎̳̭̰͓͙ͯ͗̇͘ͅͅ1̢ͨ̈̆̓ͮ͐̌͏̪̦͓̣ ̽̇ͫ҉̸͕̻͙͖̮̹ͅN̡̥̭͖͙ͮ͊͡
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Free Peasants of Fisdnar
  • Game nicks: Froyo The Wizard
  • IRC nick: #FreeArys2012
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 07:04:16 am »
+3
Carpet ban EU? I like it.

Offline Brrrak

• Earl
  • Renown: 442
  • Infamy: 63
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Brrrak
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 07:11:12 am »
+3
I bet Badplayer is cis-scum. :mrgreen:

(click to show/hide)

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 07:14:10 am »
+10
Drama thread incoming. This is your final warning.

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline no_rules_just_play

• King
  • Renown: 1401
  • Infamy: 384
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE; Peasants United; Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: CapraAegagrusHircus_HRE; no_rules_just_play_HRE
  • IRC nick: norulesjustplay
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2013, 07:38:41 am »
+2

i couldnt agree more, irc is flooded by people asking for help where only meow or the devs can help, the technical problems section is not even being looked at for the biggest it seems (this might be totally not true, but i get this feeling from the unanswered threads). We really need some sign of life except on the melee forum and a non-tagged picture in the announcements section.

Offline BASNAK

• King
  • Renown: 1349
  • Infamy: 170
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MolonLave_Garlic
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2013, 08:03:51 am »
+6
"You can't be racist towards white people" - This statement made my day.

Anyways I never saw any purpose in staying in Crpg's IRC. Unless I have some technical related question.

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2013, 08:12:29 am »
+17
Create a thread titled "moderators in this community".

Imply that it's about mods in general.

Whine about Shik.

Shik not a moderator.

Wat you want?

There is no sight in my third eye