Author Topic: 1h shielder build  (Read 2885 times)

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
Re: 1h shielder build
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2013, 02:46:15 pm »
Yeah 4 shield with something like a heavy round is still a lot of shield. Should last you long enough against anything but a shieldbreaker. You shield might be heavily damaged after a decent length fight but you should be able to find something on ground easily by then. If you are are pure shielder without any additional weapons you can grab one of the 2 slot 4 difficulty shields.

Offline Shemaforash

• Duke
  • Renown: 533
  • Infamy: 169
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Shemaforash
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2013, 04:22:08 pm »
Yeah 4 shield with something like a heavy round is still a lot of shield. Should last you long enough against anything but a shieldbreaker. You shield might be heavily damaged after a decent length fight but you should be able to find something on ground easily by then. If you are are pure shielder without any additional weapons you can grab one of the 2 slot 4 difficulty shields.

Having 4 shield is pretty bad, I can confirm because any decent archer will start shooting at your legs or even be able to shoot ABOVE your shield. Alternatively arbalests can shoot through the shield. Then again if you're a 1h and you have 4 shield skill taking a shield isn't going to hurt, but I recommend taking something with higher resistance.
You should be punished for having a shitty attitude.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2013, 04:54:35 pm »
+1
Having 4 shield is pretty bad, I can confirm because any decent archer will start shooting at your legs or even be able to shoot ABOVE your shield. Alternatively arbalests can shoot through the shield. Then again if you're a 1h and you have 4 shield skill taking a shield isn't going to hurt, but I recommend taking something with higher resistance.

Shield skill doesn't affect bolt penetration; you just need 20+ shield armor to prevent MW steel bolts fired from MW arbalests from penetrating.

And if you want a durable shield with only 4 skill, the Heavy Board is a solid option. It's more durable with 4 shield skill than my +3 Elite Cavalry Shield is with 7 shield skill.  By a lot.

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2013, 05:06:19 pm »
+1
Plus that board shield will protect your feet if you're that paranoid about super archer snipers.

Offline Shemaforash

• Duke
  • Renown: 533
  • Infamy: 169
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Shemaforash
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2013, 05:31:59 pm »
Ah well, I'm a cavalry as well so I can't use those.
You should be punished for having a shitty attitude.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2013, 06:03:46 pm »
+1
Ah well, I'm a cavalry as well so I can't use those.

Heavy Kite/Heater, Fur-covered, and the Norman shields would suit you just fine also. Tough as hell with even 4 skill.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 06:28:41 pm by Phew »

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2013, 06:37:16 pm »
+1
As a support build, go really shitty armour like basic tunic, high shield skill. It's amazing how many players, even the really good ones, get tunnel vision when they see an 'easy kill'; they'll abandon their team, their formation, their strategy and their skill trying to get your 'easy kill'. Just one guy tempting the other team like that can be very useful.

The pro blocker in peasant garb with a cudgel is the most powerful force on the battlefield; enemies are drawn to him like a moth to a flame, and he just blocks everything while his teammates clean up. The 13 shield trolls can also play this role, although good players have learned to ignore them.

The new 0-slot 1-handers are a great option for long maul users. Broad short/Scottish (or Spathion if it remains 0-slot) , board or plate-covered shield. A fully capable shielder that can crushthrough when necessary.

Offline Fredom

• Baron
  • Renown: 141
  • Infamy: 47
  • cRPG Player
  • Coming from a life of crime.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Fredom ; FredomNumbaNine
  • IRC nick: Steam name: Fredom[NumbaNine]
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2013, 10:22:48 pm »
+2
Well, 4 shield skill sould be enough if you use a good shield with many hitpoints (especially needed is speed) like the Knightly Heater Shield. I played this shield with 4 shield skill one time and with 5-7 shield skill it's nearly unbreakable in normally melee and just if you DON'T fight against twohanded axe men. Hmm if you can't avoid a fight against an axe man, you could need your manual block skill :mrgreen: or just fight without shield if you think you need it after the fight:)
But all at all your build should be effective and one more thing is, if you use Normally - Heavy Armor
You would have an advantage if your shield breaks. Some players think they can hide behind their shield with light armor like Steppe Armor. Then if their shield breaks they will die immediately! So don't get such a light armor :)
Hope I can help ;)
Fredom, are you British? -> You got an American accent!- Merc_Sjarken