Author Topic: Stuttering Isssue. (FPS is fine though.)  (Read 14959 times)

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
Re: Stuttering Isssue. (FPS is fine though.)
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2013, 02:30:38 pm »
"- disconnect from server instead of crashing when a synchronization error occurs"

Misinterpreted, and anecdotal evidence of decreased lag spikes for me yesterday. It was unlikely, but I had hope! Keep up the nice work either way.

Offline Grumpy_Nic

• King
  • Renown: 1023
  • Infamy: 306
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Hermann_von_Krems
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2013, 09:49:35 pm »
so anybody knows how to solve this issue? happening more often now, every second or third map. A real pain in the ass in the meanwhile

Offline brockssn

• Baron
  • Renown: 133
  • Infamy: 182
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2013, 01:53:08 am »
so i got the msg that if I don't use the wse2 client I will experience glitching.

I came on here to post about my experience and saw someone had a thread open about it already. I would call it a sync issue, because 'it catches up'. Almost like rubberbanding, but if I don't stop touching keys it won't catch up and i'll die. It happens every round for me, I play on a laptop over wireless and on a laptop docked (no wireless) and it happens no less when docked. For some reason it seems to happen more on my archer than it does with my melee guy. But it is a game stopper, it effects my score very much.

The kicker is... wse2 seems to play the game better than the normal client, runs smoother, higher fps, etc... but this sync / rubberbanding / skating thing is a pain in the ass and if it were to go away i'd def like it a lot more than the normal client. It's definitely related to the client, because it doesnt happen if i play on the normal client. Hope it gets fixed soon!

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2013, 03:19:30 am »
I would call it a sync issue, because 'it catches up'. Almost like rubberbanding, but if I don't stop touching keys it won't catch up and i'll die.

So you have to stop moving/attacking or it continues to "stay out of sync"? When this happens, do you stop receiving chat messages/kill notifications until it's over or do they keep coming?

Offline brockssn

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2013, 02:24:33 pm »
So you have to stop moving/attacking or it continues to "stay out of sync"? When this happens, do you stop receiving chat messages/kill notifications until it's over or do they keep coming?

Yea I have to stop moving / attacking or it stays out of sync. I want to say i still receive chat / kill msg's when this happens because it just seems to be the fight animations that stop

Offline cmp

• Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2013, 02:37:45 pm »
Your fight animations or other people's too?

Offline brockssn

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2013, 02:58:59 pm »
Your fight animations or other people's too?

I have 3 videos from this morning I am uploading. Every round I tried to play ended up with the same shit. I just realized I can't jump either, i fall through the ground or stutter when I land, have a hell of a time jumping over fences. Mostly my fight animations, I can see the others it seems. Once the uploads are done I will post links

Offline brockssn

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2013, 03:21:13 pm »
Ok, so my GPU was at 71degrees celcius and my CPU at 70 degrees celcius during the fights with minimal load.

First one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AnSNLjnkGw&feature=youtu.be
In this first one you will see me knock a guy off a horse then chase him. While chasing him I will rubberband and fall through the ground. Just note, I did not jump at all during that chase that was just sync issues. This one shows sync / rubberbanding / some skating / falling through the ground / jump stutters

Second: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBbHLvN3syY&feature=youtu.be
The second one shows a sync issue while back peddling from the attackers, I just hop about 5 ft back in 1 frame

Third: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smFTtRigmEU&feature=youtu.be
The third shows a lot of fence jumping which you can see is painful with the glitches and also a major out of sync issue at 2:01.

Offline cmp

• Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2013, 04:49:04 pm »
I think it might be somehow related to the fact that you're capping it at 30 FPS. Am I correct in assuming that the "Reduce Input Lag" experimental option is enabled?

Offline San

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2013, 05:08:47 pm »
+1
I will try to get better captures later, but due to the initial latency of fraps, I only got the last moments of some of my spikes.

I used pingplotter to look at my ping progression, and it is smooth until I receive massive packet loss. These spikes only occurred once I switched to WSE2. None of the experimental tags are checked, and I have most graphical boosts turned off. Framerate is capped at 120, and didn't make much of a difference at 60. At one point, I move 1/4 across the map, that's how long it lasts sometimes.

Edit: And on horse, I lose complete control and the horse begins to look like it's zigzagging on my screen. I will also try to capture that at a later time.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 05:15:44 pm by san. »

Offline cmp

• Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2013, 05:17:31 pm »
I used pingplotter to look at my ping progression, and it is smooth until I receive massive packet loss. These spikes only occurred once I switched to WSE2.

Pingplotter is an external tool, if it's reporting packet loss then the problem is somewhere in the network, and not in the game engine (unlike the one reported by brockssn). It might be that WSE2 is doing something weird that overloads the network, but I don't remember altering the low level networking parts of Warband much. I'll give it a look nonetheless.

Offline San

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2013, 05:27:29 pm »
Thanks, cmp. With a simple ping -t, it just temporarily times out. ping plotter just helped visualize what was happening better.

mentioned earlier in the topic also has this issue, so I am not certain whether these are isolated or of the same cloth as the stuttering.

Offline cmp

• Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2013, 05:35:00 pm »
Same applies to ping -t, it checks your computer's connection to the server and not the game client's connection to the game server (i.e. it checks at a lower level). I'm not sure how an application could cause packet loss, apart from overloading the link or doing some weird stuff in the code that interacts with the system networking library.
It's not the same issue as the stuttering, if you look at brockssn's videos you can see that he keeps receiving chat messages and actions from other players during the stuttering, meaning it can't be packet loss.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2013, 06:48:00 pm »
San my horse looks like the same thing your guy is doing on foot.  I skip around the map (I can control my horse on about a 3 second delay and I am skipping about 1 or 2 seconds of frames and then my guy has "skated" ahead 20 or so feet.  I'm usually lucky and try to get to the outskirts of the map, but there's certainly some sort of packet loss going on.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline brockssn

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2013, 07:19:46 pm »
I think it might be somehow related to the fact that you're capping it at 30 FPS. Am I correct in assuming that the "Reduce Input Lag" experimental option is enabled?

yes reduce input lag is checked, is that a bad thing?