Author Topic: Siege map: Old manor (suggestions for a better name welcome)  (Read 1820 times)

Offline Aelfwine

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GwathCuthalion/Beren/Thelcared
Siege map: Old manor (suggestions for a better name welcome)
« on: April 22, 2011, 12:12:40 am »
Hi everyone,
i made a siege map, mostly indoors; it's a building with two large halls and a tower connecting them and some underground dungeon corridors; the flag is at the tower's 2nd floor; there are 2 entrances with destructable doors and 2 more or less secret entrances :)
I'm not sure about wether it will be a balanced map -may need some tweaks. Also i'm not sure how smooth it would run on slower pcs (should be tested it with many players -runs fine on my "old" pc, without players and on low graphic settings).
Suggestions and criticism welcome :)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

rearranged "larder/kitchen" area to balance front and rear paths -changed movable ladder with a fixed one, slightly widened one of the two wall ways before the flag, widened stairs right before the flag;
moved attackers spawns on 3 sides of the building (as in pic)

cyan area is approximately attackers' spawn, very close to the main door; yellow circles are entrances and exits from the underground areas, yellow lines approximately indicate dungeon paths; red lines are paths for attackers above ground, approximately  :mrgreen:
The pic on the right shows new attackers spawns

http://www.mbrepository.com/download.php?id=2799&f=OldManor.zip
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 07:28:36 pm by Aelfwine »

Offline Tetris

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • cRPG Player
  • Once a King, Always a King.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Aegis Sovereignty
  • Game nicks: SoA_Sovereign_Tetris
  • IRC nick: Tet
Re: Siege map: Old manor (suggestions for a better name welcome)
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 12:26:51 am »
Decrepit Keep
Old Estate
Castle Hill

:p

Offline Aelfwine

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 12:46:17 am »
Decrepit Keep
Old Estate
Castle Hill

:p

hmm the first two feel similar to the current name and the third is maybe too generic :p
Decrepit estate could be nice though :)

Offline Tetris

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • cRPG Player
  • Once a King, Always a King.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Aegis Sovereignty
  • Game nicks: SoA_Sovereign_Tetris
  • IRC nick: Tet
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 12:53:29 am »
Well you said a "Better Name" I was just thinking why not spice your current name up xD

Offline Aelfwine

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 01:25:30 am »
Well you said a "Better Name" I was just thinking why not spice your current name up xD

yep, thanks for the ideas; if old manor doesn't sound too dull i'll leave it though, now that i think, or i'd have to change all the files in the module and those on mbrepository

Offline Havoco

• Duke
  • Renown: 538
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospookfans
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Havoc
  • IRC nick: Havoco
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 02:58:18 am »
House Aelfwine?

Sry, just had to say it. Sounds like house aelfwar from rift. :D
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 03:17:11 am by Havoco »
Pock gobblers

Offline Mylet

• The ugly
  • Knight
  • Renown: 56
  • Infamy: 5
  • Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Mylet
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 04:39:06 am »
Aelfwine Manor

It looks really great but seems way too difficult to attack. There is only one access to the flag platform via stairs and to get there you need around a minute (not counting the 2 doors you have to break and the numerous defenders you will have to fight in the limited space of those hallways).
I also think the area in the back of the house is kind of wasted because the way through the main gate is much faster than the others and in the end, you don't gain another way to approach the flag area.

But it's a really beautiful map, if we could adjust the time limit per map, it would already be on the server.
┐( ̄ー ̄)┌

Offline Aelfwine

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 07:26:37 pm »
Aelfwine Manor

It looks really great but seems way too difficult to attack. There is only one access to the flag platform via stairs and to get there you need around a minute (not counting the 2 doors you have to break and the numerous defenders you will have to fight in the limited space of those hallways).
I also think the area in the back of the house is kind of wasted because the way through the main gate is much faster than the others and in the end, you don't gain another way to approach the flag area.

But it's a really beautiful map, if we could adjust the time limit per map, it would already be on the server.

You're right, i had doubts myself about the walking time and attackers paths, as i adapted it on an experiment about large indoor halls :)
The two wall ways should have been the last defense before the flag but in fact the stairs after them are yet another chokepoint; i edited some things -first of all attackers spawn points, and the second hall area. Check it out if you have time :)

Offline Mylet

• The ugly
  • Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 10:09:13 pm »
That version looks a bit more balanced. Keep in mind that at the beginning all attackers spawn at entry point 32, placing it behind the house seems a bit weird, not sure if that was intended or not.

I am still a bit worried about flag camping being too effective but on the other hand, attackers will probably be more concentrated ... can't really tell without testing I guess.

┐( ̄ー ̄)┌

Offline Aelfwine

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 11:32:35 pm »
eh i didn't know that, moved entry 32 to front gate :mrgreen:
also i posted on mb repository another siege map i did a few months ago, it was on native 22nd siege server, but i haven't played native in eons -it was a nice map, though i'm not sure it can be used/tweaked for crpg - http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=2806

Offline Mylet

• The ugly
  • Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 12:20:52 am »
I'll put it up on the eu siege servers tonight so tomorrow can be used for balance testing.

edit: it's up now
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 05:17:37 am by Mylet »
┐( ̄ー ̄)┌

Offline Aelfwine

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 12:19:20 am »
Well, i managed to play the map a couple times, first time it ended up 3-0 for defenders, no chance for attackers, second time 3-1 for attackers but i'm not sure teams were balanced.
I think so far there are some things to tweak: 1-i've seen 2-3 times attackers write they spawned directly at flag, looks like they spawned at defenders' entry points; i have no clue why this happens, so aside from rethinking all entry points (needed, someone correctly noted attackers need to cross a def spawn are to get to the flag) i don't know how to fix it.
2-reduce and straighten the underground tunnels
3-add adifferent path to flag for attackers
i'll wait a bit more to see if anything else come up before editing

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 11:23:03 am »
There is no such thing as a "defender" or "attacker" spawnpoint. The spawning system is based on a complicated mechanism that takes distance to homebase and enemy occupation into calculation. If there is not much distance between spawnpoint 0 (or the flag, still not sure) and 32, then all sorts of strange things might happen. Also, at round start, all attackers spawn at spawnpoint 32, like in battle mode.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 09:40:06 pm »
There is no such thing as a "defender" or "attacker" spawnpoint. The spawning system is based on a complicated mechanism that takes distance to homebase and enemy occupation into calculation. If there is not much distance between spawnpoint 0 (or the flag, still not sure) and 32, then all sorts of strange things might happen. Also, at round start, all attackers spawn at spawnpoint 32, like in battle mode.

I think putting many spawn points can reduce the impact of this. For example, putting all the entry points from 0 to 31 for defenders, and all those from 32 to 63 for attackers.

Offline Aelfwine

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2011, 07:50:15 pm »
I see, i had read somewhere about there being a complex system managing spawns; knowing the 66(flag) and the 32 entry points are some kind of reference point to keep in mind helps a lot, thanks zagibu.
@kafein
i put all the entry points actually but probably the unusual layout of the map messes up things; maybe a more "linear" path for the fighting can help, working on it