Poll

BEST_IN_MISSISSIPPI

Rouke
merideus
Orijin

Author Topic: NA ALLSTARS - the best players by US/CA states (now with votes!)  (Read 106349 times)

Offline mcdeath

• Marshall
  • Renown: 797
  • Infamy: 349
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: NA ALLSTARS - the best players by US/CA states (now with votes!)
« Reply #1320 on: September 05, 2012, 04:02:08 am »

(made second last time, much to the chagrin of a few people

Took a quick look at the poll results and you tied for third.

FLORIDA: HardRice 9 (10.3%), Anders 12 (13.8%), Ricky 9 (10.3%), SexThriller 43 (49.4%), Sir_Alec 2 (2.3%), Zan 12 (13.8%) 87 votes 7/29/2012

(click to show/hide)

This is just a few I actually got screen shots of.

I saw my name in a pic I demand it be removed or I sue you for all you are worth!
McDeath: This guy doesn't shut his lip, but he's one of the funniest players in-game.

Offline Froto_the_Loc

• Count
  • Renown: 252
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • CRaPGame
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Locia
  • Game nicks: Froto_the_loc
« Reply #1321 on: September 05, 2012, 04:04:41 am »
Still yet to see a Locia contest...
Hooray for customization and hybridization!
Down with monotonous pure classes!

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #1322 on: September 05, 2012, 04:42:52 am »
I saw my name in a pic I demand it be removed or I sue you for all you are worth!

I'm in 2. I'll join in that lawsuit. Class action lawsuit baby!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
  • Renown: 1049
  • Infamy: 651
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Man, I still play this shit?
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Anders_Astralis
« Reply #1323 on: September 05, 2012, 06:09:33 am »
Took a quick look at the poll results and you tied for third.

You obviously know nothing about math and voting rules. I tied for SECOND. Cause you know...you can count the votes and see that only 1 other person has more. Please go re-read your elementary math book on how to count since you obviously don't.

Offline TugBoat

• Earl
  • Renown: 430
  • Infamy: 211
  • cRPG Player
  • TotallyTugBoat on Steam
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BOAT CLAN
  • Game nicks: TugBOAT
« Reply #1324 on: September 05, 2012, 06:34:28 am »
You obviously know nothing about math and voting rules. I tied for SECOND. Cause you know...you can count the votes and see that only 1 other person has more. Please go re-read your elementary math book on how to count since you obviously don't.

Polls and contests do it differently, but when there is no clear third typically it is a tie for third. This prevents someone who would be off the charts, for example in a 25 rank system, this prevents rank 26 from being on the roster or flooding the 25 slot list with a 26th

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #1325 on: September 05, 2012, 06:41:47 am »
I know for tournaments, it usually goes
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 5, 7, 7, 9, 9, 9, 9, etc.

I would assume it makes sense to say you tie for the better placement, since the goal is to aim as high as possible.

Offline dynamike

• King
  • Renown: 1212
  • Infamy: 187
  • Let's be friends again?
    • View Profile
    • The Remnants Clan Website
  • Faction: Stratia
  • Game nicks: Remnant_dynamike
« Reply #1326 on: September 05, 2012, 09:32:46 am »
That's funny. Sex doesn't even LIVE in florida(he's the current champ of it). He lives in main now.

Can someone confirm/deny this? If he moved, the title will be revoked and he gets his chance in the new state.
For while the fire in the heart of a single Remnant still burns... can Stratia truly have fallen?

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
« Reply #1327 on: September 05, 2012, 09:37:21 pm »
Can someone confirm/deny this? If he moved, the title will be revoked and he gets his chance in the new state.

He is in our TS but i haven't seen him on in days. Doesn't come onto forums much either.
Polls and contests do it differently, but when there is no clear third typically it is a tie for third. This prevents someone who would be off the charts, for example in a 25 rank system, this prevents rank 26 from being on the roster or flooding the 25 slot list with a 26th

Never have i heard of this when there's a tie. It'd be as san says. 1 2 2 4. I've never heard of 1 3 3 4. I'm pretty sure you can give me an example to sate my curiosity(RL please so i can relate).

Offline TugBoat

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: September 05, 2012, 10:17:26 pm »
He is in our TS but i haven't seen him on in days. Doesn't come onto forums much either.
Never have i heard of this when there's a tie. It'd be as san says. 1 2 2 4. I've never heard of 1 3 3 4. I'm pretty sure you can give me an example to sate my curiosity(RL please so i can relate).

Example: College football. There is a top 25 ranking system which is used to determine bowl games at the end of a season or championships and such like that. Anything past rank 25 is considered to be unranked. If two teams both received the same number of first place votes, tying for the 2nd most, they would both be given a 3rd place ranking. This is because if you made them both rank 2, there would be 26 teams in the top 25 assuming there is no other ties, and that would throw off all the charts and graphics all the sports people have, and would screw up a lot of the BCS bowl placements.

Offline Kirbyy

• Count
  • Renown: 286
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player
  • Hi guys
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Malta 4 lyfe.
  • Game nicks: Kirby, ynyng
« Reply #1329 on: September 05, 2012, 10:27:49 pm »
Woot! Go Illinois!

Offline Kaelaen

• Count
  • Renown: 163
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
  • Peasant
    • View Profile
    • H2O Kaelaen's Youtube Videos
  • Faction: Blandiloquent Rampallion Deutereagonists (BRD)
  • Game nicks: Kaelaen_BRD
  • IRC nick: Kaelaen
« Reply #1330 on: September 05, 2012, 10:45:11 pm »
I understand where Huseby is coming from.  To keep it simple (and he doesn't seem to play anymore) I'll refrain from talking about Gafferjack for the moment.  This poll isn't supposed to be who is the better duelist, fighter, whatever.  Actually it's not at all clear what we're voting for, so basically it's a popularity contest.  That aside, his points aren't really too clan biased, though of course people will always favor the people they hang out with all the time.  He made the argument that Devilize goes around wrecking teams on a daily basis and Frugfrug doesn't, that's all.  He's not saying Devilize is better than Frug (though as a lancer cav, as far as I can tell Frug isn't on that level yet.  But he hasn't done a serious lancer yet that I've seen. [Also he does seem to be vastly overstating Devilize's melee prowess.  I personally see Devilize as way too drunk to consider a huge threat in melee]), but that when it comes to contributing to his team, Devilize does it on a more consistent basis.

Can Frug contribute?  Yes, despite barely trying and usually fielding inferior equipment Frugfrug still manages to stay at or near the top whenever he feels like.  But using a personal comparison, whenever Devilize is on the opposite team I have to be constantly watching my back because he -will- be there, and he is easily one of the most accurate lancer cav around.  Hell, the intimidation factor alone of him potentially being somewhere behind me is enough to distract me from melee sometimes.  His very presence on the enemy team forces me to alter my playstyle.

Whenever Frugfrug is on the enemy team, I don't alter my playstyle at all.  Hell, I show him just a tiny bit of friendliness and he leaves me alone.

When it comes to fighting prowess I don't thin Devilize can even hold a candle; Jack and Frug from what I've seen are both way better fighters.  But that doesn't matter in battle, and Devilize is a game changer whenever you give him a horse and a lance.  Will I still vote for Frug?  Probably.  But using the guidelines of the OP, I honestly think Devilize should win.  Just because Frug can be a better team contributer doesn't mean he is.

-Idlewi
-idlewind

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
« Reply #1331 on: September 05, 2012, 10:52:57 pm »
Example: College football. There is a top 25 ranking system which is used to determine bowl games at the end of a season or championships and such like that. Anything past rank 25 is considered to be unranked. If two teams both received the same number of first place votes, tying for the 2nd most, they would both be given a 3rd place ranking. This is because if you made them both rank 2, there would be 26 teams in the top 25 assuming there is no other ties, and that would throw off all the charts and graphics all the sports people have, and would screw up a lot of the BCS bowl placements.

ah College football rankings. Also what division you play in matters a lot as well. I don't trust their ranking system as it caters more for "big" schools and often the "good" schools. After reading up on it, that ranking is done 3/4 based upon variables aside from how the team plays. 1 based upon polls(who likes who), a strength rating(based on division and opponents) and a computer ranking based on variables determined by some mathematician or statistician. The last ranking is based on losses(and is often a very large penalty in the rankings as it's 1 point on this predetermined point scale the BCS made). Interesting read, truly, but NOT the norm and only this way to make the most money for the college teams.

Also any other examples?

Offline Tom Cruise

• Duke
  • Renown: 685
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
  • All I do is shitpost anymore in this game.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tom_Cruise_Dota_Fanatic
  • IRC nick: Tom_Cruise
« Reply #1332 on: September 05, 2012, 11:21:21 pm »
NOBODY REMEMBERS ME FOR MICHIGAN?!?!  :cry:

(click to show/hide)

Offline TugBoat

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: September 05, 2012, 11:27:21 pm »

ah College football rankings. Also what division you play in matters a lot as well. I don't trust their ranking system as it caters more for "big" schools and often the "good" schools. After reading up on it, that ranking is done 3/4 based upon variables aside from how the team plays. 1 based upon polls(who likes who), a strength rating(based on division and opponents) and a computer ranking based on variables determined by some mathematician or statistician. The last ranking is based on losses(and is often a very large penalty in the rankings as it's 1 point on this predetermined point scale the BCS made). Interesting read, truly, but NOT the norm and only this way to make the most money for the college teams.

Also any other examples?

College football rankings are typical for highschool and college level sports. The BCS rankings come AP Poll, Coach's Poll, and computer ranking. Of course it's catered towards the "Good" schools. Do you not think good schools should be ranked highly? Strength of schedule is important. If you are in a shit conference you shouldn't be highly ranked for beating up on a bunch of community colleges

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
« Reply #1334 on: September 05, 2012, 11:55:03 pm »
Tug i just read how they get rankings, didn't you see that?
http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/question535.htm

I outlined where they get the rankings for each team up above. Though my least favorite is the strength one. If a college plays all year round, goes undefeated and beats lets say....the number 1 and maybe some other decent school, they will only get a decent bowl ranking.

I just like Playoff type series better(like Basketball, baseball and well...all other sports) and am VERY biased. Can't help it, I like seeing shit teams in playoffs and championships if they play well enough, even in "easy" conferences. Just a bias of mine against collegiate football and how it's not as rewarding as i think it should be. Sure watching #1 and #2 play is good, but not as fun as watching #1 loose to #100 in a championship.

Anyways, I think we are off beat from what this thread is supposed to mean, and You've only given me one example.