Author Topic: Mouse matters...  (Read 2516 times)

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Mouse matters...
« on: April 04, 2011, 10:20:52 pm »
So I'm using a 5 euro supermarket optical mouse and I started wondering if a uber l33t laser mouse might improve my performance. What are your experiences with lets say a 30-50 euro mouse?

Offline Duerkos

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Basileia ton Romaion
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Duerkos
Re: Mouse matters...
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 10:24:26 pm »
I do worse i think, a very precise mouse might be good for a very experienced player, but in my case many times i block badly due to this. I've trying some configurations and low dpi is the one where I do best.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Torak

• Knight
  • Renown: 39
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninjas
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Torak, Ninja_Ice_style, samuria_Torak
  • IRC nick: Ninja_Torak
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 10:26:09 pm »
4 me it did i use to have a optic crap mouse but now i have a 45 euro lasermouse and everyting is a lot easier

Offline Duerkos

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Basileia ton Romaion
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Duerkos
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 10:30:00 pm »
I think it is because the way I drag the mouse, I drag it well to the left and right, but up and down I don't do it straight but angled (20º or something).

In any case, if you are a good player you might get a faster response with the mouse.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 10:31:06 pm »
You can get used to a crappy mouse and do good with that. I think i do pretty well with my cheapo 20eur wireless crap-mouse.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 10:36:02 pm »
I just use my.. almost five years old cheap optical mouse.

And it works! If you seek skills in "gamer" gear, you're doing it wrong, in my opinion.

Well, wireless is a pain in the a**, never like those. Any simple optical mouse will do, all these DPI settings, tons of buttons, weird designs are just for gamer kids who think they will "pwn b3tt3r in c0d, n0 h@x"  :mrgreen:

They make things easier, I know that. But you can get along without those features.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 10:37:30 pm by Christo »

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Brutal

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 24
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Pecores_Brutal_le chacal Cold_stone Bazooka
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 10:37:37 pm »
I do best with a narrow light mouse, last thing you want is a big one too hard to feint and attack/block correctly.
I tried an expensive qamer mouse with 2400 dpi was too heavy and big went back to 6€ mouse.

On another note this game is the worst mouse killer ever, i already destroyed 5  :mrgreen:

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 10:39:17 pm »
Well, wireless is a pain in the a**, never like those. Any simple optical mouse will do, all these DPI settings, tons of buttons, weird designs are just for gamer kids who think they will "pwn b3tt3r in c0d, n0 h@x"  :mrgreen:
I know that when I stole my brother's logitech g something I pwnd b3tt3r in c0d. For shooters im really sure there is a lot of increased value with a better mouse.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 10:42:59 pm »
Only problem I have with my mouse, that the scroller isn't really working as a button. I think playing WoW a lot one year ago almost killed it, poor thing.

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline CarlSagan

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • We are all star stuff contemplating star stuff
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: CarlSagan_Astralis
  • IRC nick: CarlSagan
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 11:21:32 pm »
A nice mouse that is sensitive is helpful, but I've found that setting your mouse sensitivity in the game options lower will GREATLY improve blocking and attacking. You'll get a lot less accidental left blocks when you mean to up block. It will require you to move the mouse a little bit more to get around but its a much better technique and more precise. It also helps A LOT with ranged. It's exponentionally easier to aim xbox/bow/throwing with low mouse sensitivity. More deliberate movements will train you to be precise without accidentally swining/blocking the wrong direction. It will also make you think about your swing/block more before you do it, because you have to move farther to get there, instead of just flailing the mouse around hoping to get the intended result. If you think "block left" and deliberately moving your mouse left, you'll much better success, IRregardless of the quality of your mouse.

Just remember... there's ALWAYS money in the banana stand.
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion or in politics, but it is not the path to knowledge and there is no place for it in the endeavor of science"

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Do evil to others before they do evil to you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Kenkyaku
  • IRC nick: Torp
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 11:32:54 pm »
When i boguht my computer, i got a 'free'  60 euro mouse - it's quite nice

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 11:42:22 pm »
Right now using a revoltec fightmouse (not pro). It fits right in the hand and is light enough. 4 sensitivity settings so you can switch when you want to do ranged. I don't remember the price though.

Offline Dioxete

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Den Bitre
  • Game nicks: Date
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 12:09:14 am »
more than the mouse, the mousepad is the way to have an smooth aim ( http://steelseries.com/products/surfaces/steelseries-sx ) but you don't need to have such a expensive mousepad that was an example.
 I use my old logitech MX 1000 ( 4 years and there it is http://www.logitech.com/en-us/428/783 )

My experience tell me that is worthless to buy a cheap mouse if he would be a penis in the ass and gona break or don't work properly in 1 year, if you can have a forevar mouse with smooth aim for a "little bit" and if you are so crazy to buy an  smooth mousepad, you won the price of the best hardware that is moar time in yar hands :O

You use that every day, why don't have a good one?

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 01:44:23 am »
When it comes to a mouse, there are a couple things you need to understand.
1. Higher response time is Always better. For that reason alone a gaming mouse is better.
2. If you have poor mouse control, you want a lower sensitivity to make up for mistakes in hand movement.
3. If you have very precise mouse control, you may want a higher sensitivity to exploit this with precise twitches and etc. HOWEVER, if you are perfectly using your sensitivity stay with it.

...And something weird with warband that you may want to know. This may be anecdotal, but every player I have met has agreed on something weird. When you have a higher mouse sensitivity [ say, max in game sensitivity] your swings are faster. No idea what causes it, except for the funky way the game engine works or something. Could be completely wrong and I hope to god we are.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 01:45:29 am by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Belhade

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 05:33:59 am »
I know that when I stole my brother's logitech g something I pwnd b3tt3r in c0d. For shooters im really sure there is a lot of increased value with a better mouse.

I'm on my second G5, so I guess I'm a gamer kid. Love it though, got it mostly for BF2.