Author Topic: The Sword and Spear Way - Hoplites Guide  (Read 27970 times)

Offline Strider

• Baron
  • Renown: 110
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: The Sword and Spear Way - Hoplites Guide
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2012, 08:05:39 pm »
Ya i'm definetely trying a hoplite build next gen because of this. Thanks man.

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Raven_Zan
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2012, 05:04:54 am »
+2
I just wanted to bump this thread while also adding another bit of information I have gathered this generation as a hoplite. I posted it elsewhere and figured it might be nice here too. Also, this was all measured with an 18/18 build maximizing WM for the extra damage and speed.
(click to show/hide)

Edit: Just want to add a note on the dueling part. There are more broken lampposts out there than I thought when posting this...
Edit for Credibility level: at 10 gens so far.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 04:22:59 am by Zanze »

Offline fdaslan

• Knight
  • Renown: 38
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Herr Marschall
  • Faction: Wolves
  • Game nicks: Wolves_Manwe
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2012, 05:42:53 am »
+1
Quite outdated
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 11:31:07 pm by fdaslan »

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2012, 06:47:02 am »
+2
Very nice information, as well as the whole guide, thank you) This guide is one of the reasons why I became hoplite.
I also want to note some about my experience with build I used for 1 gen, which might be useful for somebody.
I played as 27 12 hoplite, its just a bit different from your Hypaspist build. I think its really good, because sacrifising 1 PS you become able to use almost any shield, which means it wouldn't be a problem to find another shield on battlefield if yours is broken.

I used War Spear, which in my opinion has following pros and cons:
Pros:
1) Low range. You CAN duel as hoplite. Even with shield and being a noob like me you can have 1/1 kd on EU 3. (Note that you will never kill professional and patiens players who won't just try to spam you but will concentrate on downblock or total chambering your thrusts).
I can say for sure that people underrate hoplites as duellers, sometimes they consider you as easy prey and that might be their fatal mistake. Some people believe in their holy right to attack you back after your blow and don't expect you to continue your attacks, which allows you to (I know it sounds weird) SPAM with your thrust, sometimes making up to 3(!) strikes in a row which almost always would mean dead enemy.
2) Side swings. When in battle you meet an enemy 1-1 its very good to put your shield on your back and land few unexpected side blows. Or when your shield is broken in battle and enemies think you became weaker... - you actually became stronger.

Cons:
1) Low range. Not too low, actually. With some timing and footwork it is still pretty good for horserearing and or even killing a rider (if he rides by and you manage to hit his leg). But such range makes you a bit less effective as support, cause you also have low athletics, and less effective in clusterfuck (if I understood right what this word means), because you can be outreached by other hoplites and greatswords.

... I thought it will be other cons but I cant think of any more disadvantages of this weapon.

PS: and yes, being a hoplite is really funny. I dunno why, but thrusting people is AWESOME  :D
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 06:55:56 am by Macropus »

Offline fdaslan

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Herr Marschall
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2012, 03:02:27 am »
Bump.

If you are a guy who loves to be in action often, I found Heater Shield to better than Board Shield. It has more HP so it won't break easily. And for the second weapon, I recommend an axe. Even the cheapest axe is OK against shielders.

Now I hava a question. What shall I loom first? Shield or pike?

Edit: Round -> Board
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 03:20:38 am by fdaslan »

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 234
  • cRPG Player
  • (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻. take all my upvotes! Part-time retard
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild Enthousiast,
  • Game nicks: Wy can't I upvote my own posts, Im a fucken genius, yo.
  • IRC nick: Joseph_Porta
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2012, 03:17:29 am »
I'd say shield because of it's overall use..
I loot corpses of their golden teeth.
But he'll be around somewhere between Heaven and The Devil, because neither of them will take him in, and he'll be farting loudly and singing a filthy song.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™

Offline owens

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 389
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
  • Faction: Persian Kittens
  • Game nicks: PK's nice guy
  • IRC nick: PK world tour pm to donate
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2012, 03:34:40 am »
I dont hoplite in cRPG but I recommend spending some time in the duel server and learning your own speed and your enemies reach. Can you dodge the over head and make the spin stab when they are unguarded?

I play hoplite in Native (weapon reach isnt different) and find that warspear is a good length to counter cav any shorter than ~150 it gets dangerous quickly.

Also the quarter staff doesnt get a mention wth? good reach, blunt damage, knockdown and mad speed. It has a very low str requirement which gives you the option of massive athletics WM and of course shield skill.

I created one hoplite(more like Roman legionaire) build actually 7PT 7PS 4shield 4WM 4ath was interesting using a short sword to stab and throwing lances to hoplite with and throw. I used a board shield. It was an experience for me as I only ever play polearm or 2H it amazed me how much damage could actually be done with small weapons and the throwing lances (I carried 2) made heavy 2H a non issue.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 03:44:17 am by owens »
PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline vh0x

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2012, 10:57:57 pm »
Do you need to convert skill points for the first build? The more AGI then STR build?

Offline fdaslan

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Herr Marschall
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2012, 01:00:38 am »
Do you need to convert skill points for the first build? The more AGI then STR build?
Yes, you have to convert 2 skill points to 1 attribute point.

Offline Freland

• Count
  • Renown: 172
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Freland
  • IRC nick: Freland
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2013, 10:28:52 am »
+1
This is a great guide - thumbs up!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

each time you click the button, crpg gains popularity :D

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2013, 03:37:12 pm »
+2
Gee thanks. I wasn't playing cRPG for a long time, I even had to read my own guide to re-learn all the stuff. But it's nice to see after months, my guide is still at the top :D

By the way, I've seen many hoplites around lately. My old crpg pal said, the reason for this was overpopulated cavalry and archers in servers. Nevertheless, it is good to see people discovered this technique. I still think my guide lacks some balanced builds. I might update the guide a bit, but first I have to play to see what is changed.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, I am anxious to try all of them.

Edit: By the way, some tip I can share: with 7 shield skill and a steel shield, your shield will take no damage from arrows, bolts. You can stay as long as you like against archers, especially useful in DTV; for protecting your teammates from enemy archers. Not even tincans can do any damage with their longbows. Don't count on your shield against heavy shield breakers like bardiche though.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 03:40:18 pm by Ronin »
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline wanderinghobo77

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Handsword
  • Game nicks: handsword_urMOM_of_Handsword, RD_Bearto_the_Wanderer, Yuan Shao, A_Varangian_Guard, The_Hussite
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2013, 08:39:37 pm »
Great and fun build, i was inspired to do a hoplite in crpg after i did one in dark souls and found this guide to be absolutely helpful

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2013, 12:23:43 pm »
+1
Updated the guide a bit. Added a new build and the gameplay video by teeth. Here are the add-on parts:

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Lotrix

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • #Rocker#
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Risen
  • Game nicks: Risen_Axxell
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2013, 09:54:31 am »