Author Topic: Looming Siege Shields  (Read 524 times)

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
Looming Siege Shields
« on: June 09, 2012, 05:16:28 pm »
+4
Every now and then I will grab a 0 slot weapon and a buckler so i can carry two siege shields. They have a variety of uses. On open plains maps you get the cover that normally requires a shield wall of at least 5 players. You can turn corridors into impassable slits for archers and crossbowmen to fire down.

The thing I like about them is that they are the best way to get your team to do something other than charge every single round. No matter how much you type in teamchat, no matter how many voice commands you make, no one will follow. You plant two siege shields in a good strategic location, and it's like watching a coral reef of players form. First the ranged characters will set up camp behind them. Then a few shielders and long polearm users will show up. Soon you have a thriving ecosystem of players, a beautiful cluster of strategy in a sea of ignorance, leeching, and WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

So, the siege shield is working. It's doing its job. Why should you be able to make it better? Because beyond arrows and bolts, the siege shield falls apart like wet paper. Most 2H and some polearms can destroy it in a single hit. A +0 Dagger can knock it down with two thrusts.

I think the item is great, and has much less griefing potential than ladders. You don't need to spend time typing or navigating voice commands. You don't have to set up batallion flags. You just drop those siege shields and it's all good.

If this idea does get seriously considered, I'd suggest making the shields a little stronger but also reducing their weight as they receive heirloom levels. Even in really light armor with a dagger and buckler two siege shields (50 weight) slows you down a LOT.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Sarpton

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hurlbat
Re: Looming Siege Shields
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 05:19:58 pm »
I.... see no issues with this idea.   

Also I liked your old avatar better.  New one is.... off putting. :(

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 05:24:03 pm »
Sounds fair, 50 weight is kinda crazy considering that if you dont move fast enough from spawn you will get killed by cav.

Also keep putting them siege shields up, you are a huge help to us infantry! :)
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Death_Dealer

• Knight
  • Renown: 36
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
  • to Shish your enemies, see them Kebabed before you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Shishkebab, Ronaldinho, Colossus, Death_Dealer, Brunhild, Whorecraft, Fahishe, Altair
  • IRC nick: Shishkebab
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 05:28:59 pm »
give them some hp not much as doors ofc. and make them possible to drop and raise like ladders. so enemy near it will choose to drop it instead breaking mostly.   :?:

Offline BashirKhan

• Knight
  • Renown: 37
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 02:27:38 am »
+1
Personally i think you should be able to loom all siege gear, and lets not forget those +3 smoke bombs we all desire  :mrgreen: