Author Topic: Carmageddon - Reincarnation  (Read 2024 times)

Offline Lansamur

• Count
  • Renown: 232
  • Infamy: 46
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Lansamur, The_Prisoner,Beer_Storage, Carebear_Ravenei
  • IRC nick: Lansamur
Carmageddon - Reincarnation
« on: May 20, 2012, 04:27:55 pm »
+7
So, who still remembers the old one? Carmageddon, one of my most favorite childhood games, released in 1997 by Stainless.

Here's a short video to bring up old memories. Remember, first version to get out was in 1997, and has topped the charts with over 2million sold copies back then.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKwMBxiKTo4&feature=related

3d physics engine, smashing cows, humans and dogs (or whatever you liked) and 3 possible ways to win: Finish the actual race by driving the circuit, kill all the other racers, or kill all humans/dogs/cows around.

And now the good part: It's coming back.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stainlessgames/carmageddon-reincarnation/posts

Pledge for it, donate 1-10000$/€/pounds or whatever you like and get rewarded for it. We got time until 6th June 2012.
[22:17] <@chadz> congratz cmpxchg8b, you managed to put 995 errors into the item sheet!
[22:17] <@cmpxchg8b> epic winning
[22:17] <@cmpxchg8b> beat that Fasader

Offline Thovex

• Marshall
  • Renown: 851
  • Infamy: 210
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Thovex
Re: Carmageddon - Reincarnation
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 01:54:26 pm »
Heard about this when a friend of me pledged $475, ridiculous :L.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Lansamur

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 02:23:35 pm »
Someone actually pledged 10.000$ (maximum). Dunno why, but it's definitely worth it. If I'd be a billionaire, I'd do it too. :D

And for this game, I'd do a lot of crap to get it back. xD Since the oldest version has to be reinstalled every time I'd want to use it, it's a bit tedious and only accessible via DosBox.
[22:17] <@chadz> congratz cmpxchg8b, you managed to put 995 errors into the item sheet!

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 02:26:26 pm »
Niiiice.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 06:52:05 pm »
Oh god, this is awesome, a new Carma game? : o

Anyone played Carmageddon TDR 2000? It's the last Carma game I know, and played.

It was really fun, especially the "story" mode it had.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7krL0P5CbeU&feature=related

Also it had cool music, dunno why all the vids have none.

PS: I have to admit, Carmageddon 2 was a lot better, but I enjoyed this one too. Just noticed how much flame it gets for being different.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 07:02:32 pm by Christo »

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Tomas_of_Miles

• Count
  • Renown: 263
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
  • Inactive
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rusty mercenary siege engineer
  • Game nicks: Something with Tomas in it
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 07:42:35 pm »
Maaaaaan I only remember seeing this as a small child and being scared of it!  :mrgreen:
Professional poop cleaner

Offline Lansamur

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 07:54:25 pm »
Well, we in Germany only had the censored version - driving over Droids n stuff. But it was still fun as hell. As an 8 year old, there was nothing more fun. :D

Yeh Christo :) I'm really looking forward to it. I haven't played any other Carma than the first version., so I can't really judge from own experience. TDR 2k doesn't look too tempting though, imo^^

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 08:17:58 pm »
+1
Carmageddon II is still fun to play, you should try it, if you haven't :wink:

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 08:41:57 pm »
Yeh Christo :) I'm really looking forward to it. I haven't played any other Carma than the first version., so I can't really judge from own experience. TDR 2k doesn't look too tempting though, imo^^

Try the second game, you won't regret doing so. :D

The TDR2K game gets a lot of flame, but it was a decent game in my opinion.

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Lansamur

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 09:17:38 am »
I think I will, if I find somewhere to buy/download it. :D

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 05:41:22 pm »
This was one of my favourite games when I was young, so much more fun than even GTA in terms of driving around and doing ridiculous stuff. Jump off a mountain and fly hundreds of feet and receive massive points for landing on a huge crowd of people (errr...zombies lol).

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 11:37:21 am »
Dragging a ball and chain down the road, drifting and watching the ball and chain smash the shit out of tons people walking down the road ( Most fun to imagine them as families on days out with their children ). Smashing into a giant elephant that smashes your car to fucking pieces, epic. Carmageddon was fun as hell and I can't wait for this.

Offline Lansamur

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 10:47:41 pm »
Quote from Kickstarter:
It stands to reason that the one thing you're DYING to see more than anything else is some more in-game progress footage. Now, we have serious reservations about revealing anything too early... As not everyone is going to judge "Work In Progress" as what it is. And this leads to misunderstanding, sometimes even anger, and that's how wars start. :)

BUT in the spirit of this campaign and the fantastic dedication, faith and impeccable judgement being demonstrated by you our fantastic FANS and BACKERS, we really felt duty-bound to do something. We want to give you all a further small sniff and taste of the current state of progress. And so, we cautiously present... A "Work In Progress” sneaky peek of the construction of Bleak City (City B)!

We're working our way around the original "Blood on the Rooftops" track, as a test-bed for prototyping and developing the game. It involves designing and building the level geometry, working out the ped tech, testing handling, collision shape mods, physics stuff, PUp ideas, etc. etc... Basically, this prototyping process enables us to write the WHOLE GAME, and have fun while we do it! :D It’s the same way that we developed the original game – as a constantly evolving prototype (based on a solid, written core design, of course!). The approach is: Get something up and playable as early as possible, then try stuff out!

This level teaser is intended only as a first impression of progress on the level construction for Carmageddon: Reincarnation. The vehicle, pedestrians their AI and their animations, plus the special effects, are ALL placeholder. The pedestrians in the clips we’ve edited together here were set up to be EXTRA easy to dismember (It’s a simple script editing job to set how well a ped holds together in an impact, again something that’ll be fun to MOD) because we thought it would be fun to spray plenty of blood about.

The level/game has NO optimisation of any kind yet, so EVERYTHING is being processed at ALL times - all the geometry, and around 1000 peds (hence the choppy framerate!). The level is in early/mid stage of construction, and so textures and detailing is missing, even from the more "finished" looking sections. And it goes without saying, In other words, IT'S EARLY DAYS!

More videos of development progress will be available to our Kickstarter VIPs in the dedicated area of the forums at carmageddon.com, once the campaign ends and the game development continues apace.

We hope you enjoy the little peek into progress. Over the coming weeks and months we look forward to sharing news and views of the progress with you, and hearing your comments and thoughts about it.

THANKS AGAIN for all your SUPPORT and BACKING, Kickstarter CarmaFans!

And a goodie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nqwfGqwJlGo

Offline Patoson

• Marshall
  • Renown: 784
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 05:07:57 am »
OMG! Carmageddon!!! I remember running over people while listening to the album The Fat of the Land by Prodigy. I was so hooked to these games back then. It's good to know it's coming back!

Oh, and, by the way, TDR 2000 was too bad compared to the first two.

Offline Lansamur

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 08:52:58 am »
Kickstarter-Event is over, they got a total sum of around 625.000$ pledged to them, which means that it will be ported to Mac and Linux quite a bit faster than originally planned. (Yes, they intended to do so anyways, but thanks to the supporters, it will be done faster now). So basically, they achieved 156% of their original goal, which was set at 400.000$.

So, we will be looking forward to a good bit of coding and re-releases of the old versions via gog.com, which even will be upgraded with some newer graphics, as far as I heard it.