Author Topic: How to not get raped in Medieval 2!  (Read 34206 times)

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: How to not get raped in Medieval 2!
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2012, 02:35:49 am »
I must say, it is best to announce alliences with every faction you can at the beginning. If you're a catholic faction, having the papal states as an ally is certainly very handy. Of course no matter what, they will try to backstab you. Just be ready and try to give them florins as gifts to improve your relations with your allies if necessary. Even I am surprised how England can be a good ally as I am Scotland and kicked their english arses out of the britannia. Yet we fight against france, and france is pretty fucked up now.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2012, 03:50:22 am »
I think France is the easiest faction to play, because it has the biggest and most versatile choice of troops in the game. I think they can have four different types of pikemen alone!  :shock:

You really shouldn't have much trouble, once you get a little bit more experienced.

One thing I LOVE to do is follwing:

1. Open SEGA\Medieval II Total War\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign\descr_strat.txt

2. Find brigand_spawn_value and pirate_spawn_value and put them to 9999, which basically stops pirates and rebels of spawning. I think they are annoying and add nothing to the gameplay, so I usually remove them. But it's a matter of taste, of course.

3. Change timescale to 0.5, which means you get two turns a year, instead of one turn being two years. I like how the game becomes much more relaxed with this change.

4. Move all faction from the "nonplayable" section to the "playable" section, except of aztecs, mongols, timurids and slave.

5. If you did so, you moved the Papal States to the playable section.

6. Start a new campaign as Papal States.

Seriously, I LOVE Papal States! They have excellent militia troops and poor professional troops, which means you can rely almost exclusively on buliding cities, which give much more income than castles.

Their best troop, the Papal Guard, is recruited in cities, too. In melee they are almost as effective, deadly and tough as dismounted knights, with the difference that they come in regiments of 150 men and have spears. Unless they don't get charged properly with full force, a single regiment of them can kill a complete king's body guard unit! It's amazing! They can even be used to stop dismounted knights for quite some time, and with the support of only one town militia unit they will win.

Their crossbow militias have pavise shields by default and are as effective as the pavise crossbowmen from the castles! Only Genovese crossbowmen are better. They are cheap, easily accquired and highly effective. Usually it's perfectly fine to have an army of a few units Papal Guard, the rest pavise crossbow militia and perhaps one cavalry militia to chase fleeing enemies. Place the guardsmen at the foot of a hill to form a line and cover the flank, and inside this "box" you place your crossbowmen so that they can fire directly on the enemy. Massacre guaranteed. (Make sure you put the spearmen on "hold formation" and remove the skirmisher mode from the crossbowmen. Usually I put them on "hold formation", too)

But the best part is: as soon as you attack a catholic faction, it gets excommunicated  :mrgreen:  :lol:

The only downsides are:

- you have the wrong campaign videos of another faction
- you don't have a "family tree" card
- there is no heir
- you can't call out crusades yourself, it happens randomly

Besides of that Papal States rock. You can even offer reconciliation to excommunicated factions, and usually this is an offer that's much appreciated.

Later, as soon as you expand your cities to metropoles, you can't recruit Papal Guards any more (god knows why  :cry: ), but you get the Swiss Guard for it, a terrifying unit which works as pikemen, but can even stand in melee with a broken formation.

All in all it's great fun, I tell you  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 03:53:16 am by Joker86 »
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Rogue

• Earl
  • Renown: 332
  • Infamy: 31
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Margrave of Brandenburg
    • View Profile
    • HRE Forum
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Rogue_HRE Harald_HRE Lodwig_HRE Egidius_HRE
  • IRC nick: Rogue_HRE
« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2012, 08:15:31 am »
Later, as soon as you expand your cities to metropoles, you can't recruit Papal Guards any more (god knows why  :cry: ), but you get the Swiss Guard for it, a terrifying unit which works as pikemen, but can even stand in melee with a broken formation.

It is easy to make them recruitable at the highest city level, just a small edit of the export_descr_buildings.txt.
There are a couple of other missing units like Armoured Sergeants for England, Dismounted Chivalric Knights for France, Dismounted Gothic Knights for the HRE you could add as well. Giving all factions access to the Woodsmen Guild is nice too. All of these are just minor edits to the txt files, no real skill required to mod them, just copy & paste.

In general I recommend (other than playing Stainless Steel ofc) using the Retrofit mod, a small mod that enables some Kingdom features for the main GC (made by a CA dev) + the Grand Unit Addon Submod, as a basis for some additional tweaks
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sacrum Romanum Imperium

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2012, 10:48:46 am »
I must say, it is best to announce alliences with every faction you can at the beginning. If you're a catholic faction, having the papal states as an ally is certainly very handy. Of course no matter what, they will try to backstab you. Just be ready and try to give them florins as gifts to improve your relations with your allies if necessary. Even I am surprised how England can be a good ally as I am Scotland and kicked their english arses out of the britannia. Yet we fight against france, and france is pretty fucked up now.
I always give up on the Papal State, excommunication is not that bad anyway and its great to be able to finally keep fucking up a faction when they are on their knees without getting warned by the Pope.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2012, 11:16:52 am »
But having the half of the europea as an ally, including the papal states, I never experienced that. As long as you pay florins to the papal states, they seem to tolerate your actions.
When you attack another catholic faction, the favor of pope decreases. Pay florins to the papal states and it increases again. Make sure it never gets below a certain amount. Try to keep it close to maximum, and the pope becomes temporarily blind.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 11:19:07 am by Ronin »
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2012, 12:10:44 pm »
Keep it high enough, spam priests and make them hunt heretics/burn witches/spread catholicism to get many bishops, and the pope will be excommunicating whoever you go to war with, rather than you. Crusade on Paris? Sure enough!

Offline Cyber

• Count
  • Renown: 237
  • Infamy: 49
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Cyber
« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2012, 12:22:36 pm »
I would like to ask another question, how to get raped in Medieval 2?
Im honestly suprised that people struggle with Medieval 2, even on very hard i just stomp everyone and it's just a matter of time till im going to snowball over the world. Only time i found a challenge was when i played SS 6.4 with Grim Reality Enabled. Not trying to sound tough or anything, im just genuinely suprised when i hear about people awesome wars in Medieval 2, i wish i had that experience but it's just boringly easy. Im not even much good in total war games, every time i play MP battles i get raped and haven't spent that much time playing Campaign.

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2012, 07:23:57 pm »
Some people are just not as good at strategy games...

Im looking forward to SS7.0 with "legendary" style difficulty inspired by STW2 (it is actually pretty tough in that game)

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2012, 09:20:32 pm »
Vanilla M2 at medium difficulty? You shouldn't be losing any towns, ever, except for the odd rebellion... Trick is to build 1 decent, well-rounded army and conquer your neighbours one by one faster than they can declare wars on you, lol. Works with any faction, tested.
I'd understand having problems surviving as Western Rome in Barbarian Invasion for R:TW, that is somewhat tricky (but still quite possible and very satisfying).

Mongols and Timurids are a pain in the ass. Unless you wanna be a camping cunt and just hide inside castles/cities.

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2012, 10:19:48 pm »
Well that's part of it too. You gotta make your own challenge and not exploit bad AI.

So don't zerg rush AI at beginning, sit back and let them expand for 30 turns before you start, you will have much stronger opponents. Don't trick them into leaving their cities so you can walk into undefended ones. Also go and fight them in field instead of camp in your cities. And during sieges you are defending, don't do cheap tricks like wooden stakes on gate entrance.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2012, 02:15:21 am »
It is easy to make them recruitable at the highest city level, just a small edit of the export_descr_buildings.txt.
There are a couple of other missing units like Armoured Sergeants for England, Dismounted Chivalric Knights for France, Dismounted Gothic Knights for the HRE you could add as well. Giving all factions access to the Woodsmen Guild is nice too. All of these are just minor edits to the txt files, no real skill required to mod them, just copy & paste.

In general I recommend (other than playing Stainless Steel ofc) using the Retrofit mod, a small mod that enables some Kingdom features for the main GC (made by a CA dev) + the Grand Unit Addon Submod, as a basis for some additional tweaks

I tried it once, but after exporting and changing ONLY that line which determines the production of the city walls (which are responsible for recruiting Papal Guards) the game crashed whenever I entered battle, so I changed back to my backuped packed data folder.

And I tried you mod out now, and first I was amazed by the amount of new units, and then suddenly I discovered something not so nice:

(click to show/hide)

Why are so many faction specific troops gone? Where are the Scottish pikemen, the Granada lancers and the elephants? :cry:
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 02:18:07 am by Joker86 »

Offline Rogue

• Earl
  • Renown: 332
  • Infamy: 31
  • Margrave of Brandenburg
    • View Profile
    • HRE Forum
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Rogue_HRE Harald_HRE Lodwig_HRE Egidius_HRE
  • IRC nick: Rogue_HRE
« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2012, 06:48:49 am »
tried it once, but after exporting and changing ONLY that line which determines the production of the city walls (which are responsible for recruiting Papal Guards) the game crashed whenever I entered battle, so I changed back to my backuped packed data folder.

Most likely just a simple syntax error. You can easily find out where the error occurred if you set logging to trace in the mods CFG file:

Code: [Select]
[log]
## log potentially critical errors for debugging
to = logs/system.log.txt
level = * trace
#level = * error

But all you need to do in order to make Papal Guards recruitable from the highest level city walls is this:
- open export_descr_buildings.txt
- look for the entry "huge_stone_wall city"
- add "recruit_pool "Papal Guard"  1   0.4   3  0  requires factions { papal_states, }" to the bottom of the recruit_pool section (without the quotes)

Should look like this when you are done:

Code: [Select]
recruit_pool "Knights Templar"  1   0.5   3  0  requires factions { england, scotland, france, hre, denmark, spain, portugal, milan, venice, papal_states, sicily, hungary, poland, }  and hidden_resource holyland
recruit_pool "Knights Hospitaller"  1   0.5   3  0  requires factions { england, scotland, france, hre, denmark, spain, portugal, milan, venice, papal_states, sicily, hungary, poland, }  and hidden_resource holyland
recruit_pool "Papal Guard"  1   0.4   3  0  requires factions { papal_states, }
wall_level 4
                tower_level 1
                gate_strength 2
                gate_defences 2
                free_upkeep bonus 8
                happiness_bonus bonus 3
                recruitment_slots 3

Why are so many faction specific troops gone? Where are the Scottish pikemen, the Granada lancers and the elephants?

They are all still in the game and fully recruitable in the game, if you want to use them in custom battle set it to "late" or "all" era instead of the default early. No units where removed for these two mods.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 06:55:35 am by Rogue »

Sacrum Romanum Imperium

Offline El_Infante

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 60
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tercio_Alejandro_Farnesio
« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2012, 02:58:38 am »
medieval 2 is not hard at all  you should try europa universalis 3  now thats hard

No. You should try Crusaders Kings 2. That is HARD

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 25, 2012, 03:36:30 am »
They are all still in the game and fully recruitable in the game, if you want to use them in custom battle set it to "late" or "all" era instead of the default early. No units where removed for these two mods.

Dang what a stupid mistake from me. But in vanilla the custom battle is always set to "all" timeperiods, that's why I never used this option and thus never got the idea it might be the issue with GUAM.

And thanks for the help with the Papal States, currently I am playing Milan, which is actually almost the same, just without instant excommunication of enemies  :mrgreen:, but I will try it in any case some time later.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 10:58:23 am by Joker86 »

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2012, 08:00:11 am »
Vanilla M2TW sucks and is easy as hell, well I found Stainless Steel easy too but that is alot more fun than Vanilla, I cannot bare to play Vanilla anyway because it is horrible. Broken Crescent is my favourite mod and from what I remember it was more challenging than any of the other mods I had played.