Author Topic: ArcheAge  (Read 73544 times)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
ArcheAge
« on: May 09, 2012, 10:45:32 am »
+1
I'm getting more and more hyped about ArcheAge. It's currently running on CryEngine 3 so it's going to have great graphics and physics.
They call this game a sort of a new Ultima Online. It's a PvP/PvE MMORPG with what it seems a basic hotbar combat system, but with a few nice sandbox features (no definite classes, house/castle building, factions, zone control, farming, tree planting/chopping, ...).

Features
    Huge world map
    Dynamic environment
    Mass PvP (100+ people)
    Player housing
    Crafting & production
    Adjustable interface
    Mounts (e.g. horses)
    Naval warfare
    Persistent World

Thread with basic info about the game: http://archeagesource.com/topic/26-all-that-we-know-about-archeage/
Info on factions, castle building and naval warfare: http://archeage-online.com/post/1718109253

Footage from closed beta tests:

sanbox, world development, general ingame footage - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=210MpzwbhGw&fmt=18 *very cool 8-)
massive siege - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahz76RM_V9g&fmt=18
ships, gliders, harpoons, physics, creativity - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVWaEDqY4uQ&feature=related
building a house - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEZPMb2bgH4&feature=related
random footage, apparently mobile fertilizers? :D - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jSKn5LOFA1E

A set of videos of YOGScast testing out Archeage in Korean beta (english commentary), first part:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo05ANVoGvg&feature=relmfu (check the links in the right menu for next parts)

They do some house/boat building too, so it's quite interesting.

They also mention in one of the vids that if you murder/pk someone on zones where pk-ing is generally not allowed you can be taken to court (you get a cutscene) and get sentenced to jail and put into prison for half an hour. You can ofcourse escape from the prison by digging your way out with a spoon or bribing the guards, lol :D

Sailing through the sea sounds interesting too, you build your own boats, you can be a pirate, you encounter dangerous whirlpools, sharks or even a kraken.

Last one of the YOGScast shows footage of building a big ship and then some naval warfare :D : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HekMwOwPzfQ&list=PLF193916B5B916DBE&index=7&feature=plpp_video

It's interesting that Koreans actually developed the kind of an Ultima Online successor in 3D, I expected a western company to do this first since Koreans seem to be pleased with their boring grindy MMOs.

ARCHEAGE HAS LAUNCHED IN EU/NA. Link to guides:
http://forum.melee.org/and-all-the-other-things-floating-around-out-there/archeage/msg1062213/#msg1062213
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 04:34:56 pm by Vibe »

Offline Thovex

• Marshall
  • Renown: 851
  • Infamy: 210
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Thovex
Re: ArcheAge
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 12:11:03 pm »
+1
Looks pretty good, I will follow this I think, is there any information about the cost of the game or is it free?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 12:11:35 pm »
+1
Looks pretty good, I will follow this I think, is there any information about the cost of the game or is it free?

I haven't found any info, think it'll be P2P judging by the feeling since it's an AAA title.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 12:12:42 pm by Vibe »

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 10:33:34 pm »
+2
probably the only big budget sandbox mmo ever, lets hope its successful just for the genre's sake.

definitely looking forward hugely to it for a year or so now. but there are definitely things I dont like, tab target combat and overall asian-ness. plus this game probably wont be released outside of korea until like 2014 so people really need to stop following it!

Offline bilwit

• Agent provocateur
  • Count
  • Renown: 275
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The toast is anarchy!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Billy_Whitmore, Andre_Whitmore, Gideon_Stargrave
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 08:29:06 am »
+1
Same old snoozefest 1999 everquest combat. Also, asian mmos are usually a lot of flare and a whole lot of garbage.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Most of us are currently living off relatives, friends, parttime-jobs or savings, to be able to work as much and cheaply as possible.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 08:17:31 am »
+1
Bump, will be published by Trion in the West and most probably released this year, which is incredible news.

Some good info about the game:
http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/PsychoPigeon/012012/24421_ArcheAge-What-To-Expect-At-Release

Offline Devilize

• Baron
  • Renown: 125
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
  • GOD WILLS IT!!!
    • View Profile
    • cRPG_NA Server info
  • Faction: Knights Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Devilize, Hospitaller_Devil_Eyez
  • IRC nick: Devilize
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 07:26:41 pm »
+1
I'm sorry but just from watching the beta vids the combat systems looks terrible. I'm biased, though, as tab target mmo's are a thing of the past for me and more action based systems(Tera/Guild Wars 2/Neverwinter/Raiding/planetside2*) are more my style these days. I've been a decade playing tab target mmo's and frankly I'm through with them. ArcheAge looks great visually and hosts several systems that I think I'll enjoy (pirates) so I'll give it a try but, as combat is what you do 80 - 90 percent of the time in a mmo it has to be good and tab target just isn't fun anymore. I personally think one of the strongest reasons why TOR's success is meager is due to this fact.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 10:43:49 pm »
+1
I agree. Absolutely fed up with tab target MMOs and one of my main problems I have with Archeage. The other one is quest to progress/level, which is almost equally bad.

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 02:49:54 am »
+1
I do think the general design and ambition of arch age will mean that there is a reduced focus on combat, compared to your traditional MMO's, although I agree the combat system is a little dated now.
Turtles

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 08:05:05 am »
+1
I do think the general design and ambition of arch age will mean that there is a reduced focus on combat, compared to your traditional MMO's, although I agree the combat system is a little dated now.

Yeah, this is basically what I'm hoping for. I'll definitely be trying the game and hoping the other systems are good enough to look past the combat system.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 09:38:56 am »
+1
supernecro

If anyone was interested in this game, you can test it out in the russian open beta (there is rough english patch for the ingame text!). Free to play!

I'll post a guide on how to get the russian version with english patch working if there's any interest.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 09:43:33 am by Vibe »

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 400
  • Infamy: 502
  • cRPG Player
  • Darksider on redemption
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 09:50:58 am »
+1
(click to show/hide)

Is the combat any good? Like mount and blade or Risen?

EDIT: Didnt notice this post is from 2012, but someone else necroed it in first place, so I guess I am not to blame.
Tseng: Used to the bitter taste of refusal, this only serves to reinforce his greatest life lession yet.
Cloud: And that is?
Tseng: Bitches, man.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 09:58:15 am »
+1
Is the combat any good? Like mount and blade or Risen?

EDIT: Didnt notice this post is from 2012, but someone else necroed it in first place, so I guess I am not to blame.

No, the combat is tab target.

Offline Xelaris

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 01:00:52 pm »
+1
The game features remind me a bit of Age of Wushu although the game themes are different the "sandbox" elements are the same

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 01:23:47 pm »
+1
The game features remind me a bit of Age of Wushu although the game themes are different the "sandbox" elements are the same

Yeah, Age of Wushu has a lot of cool features as well. It's basically the same with Archeage, standard tab target mmo combat, but they're both popular/known for being sandboxy and having lots of other cool features that make you overlook the tab target.

While I still dream of a decent MMO combat that isn't tab target, I'd rather have a good tab target system rather than a boring sugarcoated tab target (Elder Scrolls Online) or just a boring action combat system (TERA). It's not all that bad (though my opinion might be influenced by the fact that I haven't played a tab target game in quite a while).

The game is definitely pretty though, dat CryEngine3.

I've only played for a bit so far due to long queues for servers (seems that the game is extremely popular):
- combat and animations feel fluid
- spell animations are awesome, overall the gfx is pretty cool
- world seems large
- you basically select 3 classes you'll play with on one character out of a total pool of 11 I think, giving you a lot of options to customize your char
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 01:31:19 pm by Vibe »