Author Topic: Your way to play ''Rome:Total war''  (Read 20777 times)

Offline B3RS3RK

• Earl
  • Renown: 377
  • Infamy: 103
  • cRPG Player
  • Sexy and I know it.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Saracen_Berserkaziz_Amir
Re: Your way to play ''Rome:Total war''
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 08:43:59 am »

(click to show/hide)

Mindf*ck.

That happens alot, also in Vanilla M2

Seriously, AI attacks 1-2 Settlements, maybe even takes one and immediately wants peace.From an strategic point of view ingame, not even so stupid, but realistically viewed totally retarded.

Also, Stupid thing in M2: When OTHER christian factions attack you and you strike back, wanting to reconquer your lost territority, the Pope excommunicates YOU....Fucking retarded :D
Maybe it woud be better for me to find out where you life and kill you when you are satch a Soziopath. You have enough now.
"I don´t believe in anything, I´m just here for the violence."

Offline bruttus

• Baron
  • Renown: 126
  • Infamy: 150
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2012, 03:48:34 pm »
playing Roma Surrectum II
atm got 5 legions( 1 1st cohort, 9 normal cohorts + general, archers or velites , and 4 cav in each legion) and 1 preatorium legion, guarding rome
playing it like the romans did it on the batlefield (4 cohorts-3 cohorts- 3 cohorts) and cav protecting the flanks

got some epic fights with the barbarians, where i defeated one barbarian army after the other with 1 single legion (playing it at normal)

vannila game, didn't played that for years

Offline GauisMarius

• Knight
  • Renown: 25
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Uhtred
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2012, 09:22:15 am »
+1
I like to play in the buff, leading a hoard of Naked Fanatics to go put a whoopin on the Romans.

Edit: Oh, and I also consume a considerable amount of alcohol prior to get myself worked up into a frenzy before I right click on them mother f****ers. Though I have since stopped, as I usually have to replace my monitor, as it bears the brunt of my rage when my army of naked drunk berserkers get routed.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 09:29:31 am by GauisMarius »

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2012, 04:29:31 pm »
Macedonians are awsome, because they start surrounded by all types of factions and they have phalangite type armies.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2012, 05:13:55 pm »
I remember my first play of the game, with the Julii faction. After some fights with gauls, i marched a small/medium sized army (4-5 principes and hastati units, 1 archer unit, faction leader and one cavalry unit) into greek territory. Shortly before Athens, my force was intercepted by a combined greek and macedonian force (2 greek armies, 1 macedonian army), some 2000 men in total against my 500 or so. Mostly militia hoplites with some regular hoplites in the mix and lots of archers and other stuff, 3 generals as well.
I lost half of my force, killed 1500 of the enemy, as well as their generals. Felt so fucking epic :D

I've tried most factions in Vanilla, once i even went ahead and did a full world conquest with the greeks (lol @ the hidden amazon city).

Offline To Kill A Dead Horse

• Count
  • Renown: 173
  • Infamy: 34
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • May be insane
    • View Profile
  • Faction: (Former) The Black Guard, (Current) Swiss AoW
  • Game nicks: To_Kill_A_Dead_Horse, GaugofWar
  • IRC nick: TKADH
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2012, 08:23:22 am »
Greeks are OP when defending castles. Easiest way to win is to get a group of 2-4 hoplites put them in phalanx formation and stack them in front of main gate, you also need to open the gate and watch the AI drop all their siege towers and what-not and rush the gate and just get slaughtered.
Quote from: Baggy
If your going to be staring at your characters ass in game all day it might as well be a female one.
[21:08:47] Downloading Textures/this_is_how_children_see_gnjus_norm.dds

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Raven_Zan
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2012, 06:13:07 pm »
IRL, people didn't have to deal with those Pajama Infantry the way you do in RTW however. They charge your towns with maybe...8+ groups of pajama men and 2-3 horses. Then they retreat away after half their force gets slaughtered. Half way out the route, they come back in and repeat this until they are all dead. Takes forever, even with speed on when it looks like ping pong. I'd chase them down, but the usual cav I leave to garrison is the crappy militia cav. Parthia cav eats mine up when I try and kill the routers. Annoying.

That gate open trick with phalanx is how I survived early game as Seleucids in vanilla. Seriously felt like that guy that made his Portugal nation a line from Lisboa to Korea in Eu3. Leaves my defense threadbare. Completely expected my 3-4 Militia Hoplites to hold off hordes and hordes of Pajama-men, Egyptian Naked Fanatics Warriors, Greeks, Romans, and Pontus peeps.

I will have to try this new mod you speak of for RTW, total realism was cool but eh sometimes. The east was simply overcome the Seleucid Empire, because they keep the other factions down in the dirt for you. The West was either take over Italy or Africa and Spain is now completely open for you. After that, you win the game as Seleucids will most likely have crumbled while the other nation split it so evenly they don't stand a chance. (Also, Illyria in RTR is famazing =D )

Offline Lemmy_Winks

• Count
  • Renown: 241
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Lemmy_Winks
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2012, 11:54:46 pm »
Mods make it better but its hard now with the graphics being outdated, im still waiting on europa barbarium 2 which is the same thing as the first one but its made with the medieval 2 engine. IMO the selucids are the most powerful, huge variety of very powerful units, lots of land, profitable land, weak opponents around them to expand in to. Is serrectum 2 made with the medival 2 game engine?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 11:58:57 pm by Lemmy_Winks »

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2012, 03:25:22 pm »
Seleucids should've had tons of scripted events imo, rebellions, uprisings, etc. It didn't disentegrate out of pure happenstance after all, and under a human player it's almost always immediately a humongous unstoppable powerhouse.

I never much liked macedonian type phalanx armies in RTW 'n mods, they often bugged out in weird ways. Especially if the other side was also composed of phalanx types, it could make for some pretty tedious battles, but still usually really easy to just roll up an entire flank since the AI isn't exactly the best at covering flanks or keeping reserves or committing cav charges at the right time and target.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2012, 08:23:43 pm »
Seleucids should've had tons of scripted events imo, rebellions, uprisings, etc. It didn't disentegrate out of pure happenstance after all, and under a human player it's almost always immediately a humongous unstoppable powerhouse.

Same could be said about the Ptolemaic Empire, they are insanely overpowered.

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Elmetiacos

• Count
  • Renown: 175
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
  • You've probably teamkilled me
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hot_Chick_with_a_Sword, Dark_Rose_Knight
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2012, 01:07:56 am »
Mods make it better but its hard now with the graphics being outdated, im still waiting on europa barbarium 2 which is the same thing as the first one but its made with the medieval 2 engine.
And much more historically accurate.
The word is "anyway" not "anyways". You are not Gabby Hayes.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2012, 04:48:15 am »
And much more historically accurate.

Couldn't agree more.

After trying Europa Barbarorum I just dropped RTR instantly. It's an amazing mod.

As Carthage I got like 2-3 scripted historical events that made characters appear and stuff, it's amazing how much historical detail is in the mod itself.

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Germanicus

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 110
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2012, 05:36:37 pm »
+1
favorite faction : germans

play style : kill n conquer them all
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else." - Winston Churchill

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2012, 05:50:19 pm »
Right, so i'm playing EB as the Greek states, whatever they're called there. Wiped Macedonia, Pontos, driving Seleucids out of Anatolia, etc, etc.
The factional/local recruitment system has me confused, though, thought i'd get Cretan Archers by building type IV government and regional barracks up to max, thought wrong lol.

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2012, 05:54:37 pm »
Julii mainly but also Greek and Gauls. Thou the Britons give me massive hell every time I play Julii due to completely retarded auto-battle AI.

In Vanilla fighting other factions with auto-battle worked fine....but when I let the AI fight with my armies against Britons it always fucked up soo bad that I lost atleast 1000 guys every time even when it was against like 200 men. When I told the AI to go fuck itself reloaded and fought the battle myself, I lost like 50 men in same battle.