Author Topic: Recommend me Horror games  (Read 6747 times)

Offline bosco

• Count
  • Renown: 258
  • Infamy: 25
  • cRPG Player
  • Steady...
    • View Profile
Re: Recommend me Horror games
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 04:21:28 pm »
Hmm might just be me but is it normal for the stalker games on new game to pop you in the game feeling confused on what the hell to do? I know you get a quest to follow but it seemed like a pretty bland start.

I tried Call of Pripyat at first but shooting almost a whole gun clip on a bandit and see him still shooting me was hilarious lol. I tried shadow of chernobyl afterwards and same bland starting and didn't quite catch the first part of the main quest/story in which I had to jump from a hill surrounded by some sort of gas that burst into fire when I went near it.

Also that yellow arrow on the minimap indicates the quest location or something else? because when I started the game it was marking north so I jumped from the cliff went north and reached again the same (Or another hill which was 100% the same as the previous one) surrounded by this strange gas and having me jump into something invisible going for an infinite cycle :S

Dunno it was very confusing I know I skipped the initial cutscene from new game but I don't think that has anything to do with the bland start.

Casuals these days...  :wink:

Offline bosco

• Count
  • Renown: 258
  • Infamy: 25
  • cRPG Player
  • Steady...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2012, 04:27:49 pm »
Anyway, for the sake of STALKER greatness, try playing SoC with the Complete 2009 mod - fixes many bugs, huge graphical improvement and makes the game a bit easier.

On your ingame PDA, you always have a main quest and most of the time, several side quests.

And trust me, you'll feel the scare as soon as you go underground... Agropom, X18 and all those goodies.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 04:34:24 pm by bosco »

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2012, 05:22:04 pm »
lol casual? There's a difference between having short cutscene or some chatting before letting me do whatever I wanted from popping you in the game with no guidance.

I love sandbox games, for example fallout and elder scrolls these games gave you some prologue to the game to start on unlike stalker.

I'll try it out again but I doubt I'll be scared, maybe some frights but not even amnesia scared me.

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2012, 07:52:45 pm »
Remember to fully patch Stalker.

Offline Berserkadin

• Duke
  • Renown: 592
  • Infamy: 145
    • View Profile
  • Faction: -
  • Game nicks: Krewl_The_Urist_Fox
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2012, 07:55:56 pm »
Just wait until you meet your first bloodsucker, probably the most scary game encounter in my whole life. And dont check it up on some stalkerwiki, play the game and you will find out.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2012, 08:32:37 pm »
+1
We'll see but I'm pretty sure I won't be scared.

The stalker I have (Call of Pripyat and Shadow of Cheronbyl) are steam versions so I guess they are fully updated.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 08:34:53 pm by Vexus »

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2012, 10:24:14 pm »
If you weren't scared of Amnesia you probably won't be scared of Stalker, just enjoy the gritty, uncomfortable atmosphere.

Offline dodnet

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 149
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: DoD, DoD_Wolper
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2012, 11:01:06 pm »
Have you tried LIMBO? Its more of a jump and run but it has a great atmosphere. Its quite short, though I havent played it through yet  :|

Also System Shock 1/2... great games!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 11:04:34 pm by dodnet »
The logic of war seems to be that if a belligerent can fight he will fight.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Sagar

• Earl
  • Renown: 463
  • Infamy: 279
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bogumili
  • Game nicks: Sagar
  • IRC nick: Sagar
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2012, 11:22:00 pm »
Did you play The Suffering? There also The Suffering 2: Ties That Bind.

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2012, 11:37:36 pm »
+1
Oh yea the suffering... I beat that long long ago, it was nothing special since throughout the game it progresses from "survival" to extreme bullshit.( Like monsters with huge guns instead of arms or something like that.)

Now that you mentioned the suffering I remember playing area 51 too. It's not a bad game tough not that much horror but it's story was not bad plus it's free now.

Limbo? While the atmosphere is kinda matching the horror style the game is more a puzzle adventure than anything else (Watched several gameplay videos on youtube) tough it didn't seem bad if your into that type of games.

System shock has far too horrible graphics for me to enjoy it. (Like I said in my first post, I'm not a graphic whore but I can't play games with bad graphics and feel immersed.)

Ps. If you guys want to mention stories from playing certain horror games it can be nice too. While this thread was to suggest me games I'm also interested in hearing people's opinions on said type of games maybe other people could try some of the mentioned ones.

Offline Mala

• Earl
  • Renown: 412
  • Infamy: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2012, 11:35:32 am »
The bad graphics are a part of the horror experience :p.

But you already know Bio Shock, which uses most of the game mechanics of System Shock (but most of them are dumbed down), so there would be not that huge surprises.

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2012, 12:10:04 pm »
games that made me shit my pants:

clive barkers undying
penumbra
alone in the dark
some textadventure that was also very lovecraftian - i never knew a textadventure could be that scary. it was awesome, well written. The protagonist was a female journalist, iirc. Sadly, I can't remember the name any more. Not that anyone would play it, anyway :P

games that had a lovecraftian feeling to it:

shadow of the comet
gabriel knight

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2833
  • Infamy: 2905
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2012, 01:18:58 pm »
You haven't played Amnesia :shock:

Very disappointed in you chadz...

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 297
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2012, 01:23:26 pm »
The bad graphics are a part of the horror experience :p.

But you already know Bio Shock, which uses most of the game mechanics of System Shock (but most of them are dumbed down), so there would be not that huge surprises.

LOL @ BioShock. There's a part where these splicers or whatever are trying to breach some glass to get you and you need to get into an elevator of something like that. It should be scary but people like me who hate scripted games usually wait a bit in those moments to see what will happen. Guess what happened? Nothing. They still did the same until game after 5 minutes or so decided that I was standing long enough in there and teleported me in next section even if I haven't stepped in that elevator. BULLSHIT!

Suffering I forgot to mention but its just like Vexus said, great at first glance, major bullshit afterwords.

But Vexus, you should really give Bloodlines a chance. It's best game ever imho. Pick a bloody Malkavian, you'll have a ride of your life.

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2012, 05:46:36 pm »
For now based on frights/atmosphere from what I played it's kinda a tie between amnesia and condemned the latter is kinda winning as it was more random since the ai is not that predictable.

I urge you people to try it out if you haven't already, I'll never forget a fright I got from one of the drug addicts catching me off guard while chasing him.