Poll

Katana to be nerfed (Increase in Cost)

AGREE
39 (39.4%)
DISAGREE
60 (60.6%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Author Topic: Katana Increase in cost [AGREE/DISAGREE]  (Read 2655 times)

Offline Herkkutatti

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 292
  • Infamy: 149
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Katana Increase in cost [AGREE/DISAGREE]
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2012, 12:01:09 am »
paying 6 millions to devs who remove it  :wink: 
(click to show/hide)
/l
(゚、 。 7
l、 ~ヽ
じしf_, )ノ Nerf archery ,please!

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • Renown: 276
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Caita_KUTT, Fellys_KUTT
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2012, 12:35:36 am »
+1
Katana is one fucked up weapon. I was level 30 ,10 IF, 62 body armor /54 head armor and i lost 50%-70% by one hit and died to the second hit , and because i had gmaul i had no chance to do anytihing  (spam spam)

Perfect example of the "I am rock, scissors is fine, nerf paper." thing we keep seeing. Katana is an ideal weapon for taking on the great maul. If we always compared this way, then I could say great maul is incredibly OP because my pike can't do shit against it.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2012, 02:02:49 am »
+1
Katana would be okay if hiltslash was removed. Actually, it would be kind of bad and would need a thrust buff of about 4-5 points.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Zaren

• Count
  • Renown: 162
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Zaren_Astralis
  • IRC nick: Zaren
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2012, 02:15:29 am »
you have to understand for the majority of the community that wont make a difference... anyone who has retired one time probably doesnt have to worry about the cost of their sword.......

Offline El_Infante

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 60
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tercio_Alejandro_Farnesio
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2012, 03:21:34 am »
Katana is fine. IMO heavy bastard sword and longsword are better options.

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2012, 03:30:56 am »
+5
For the love of fuck, a dude with a 24/18 build and a short flacion will fuck up your day.

How many fucking times does it have to be said.

Build + players skills = kills
Gear + bullshit = bullshit

There are no OP weapons at the moment IMO, there is nothing so dominant it can't be counted. Just because some dude with a Katana kills you doesn't mean the weapon is OP. In all likely hood it means you are poopy and should l2p you smelly nub. Go practice chambering couched lances with punchs you blue titted worbler.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 03:34:03 am by FRANK_THE_TANK »
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2012, 05:24:10 am »
+2
For the love of fuck, a dude with a 24/18 build and a short flacion will fuck up your day.

How many fucking times does it have to be said.

Build + players skills = kills
Gear + bullshit = bullshit

There are no OP weapons at the moment IMO, there is nothing so dominant it can't be counted. Just because some dude with a Katana kills you doesn't mean the weapon is OP. In all likely hood it means you are poopy and should l2p you smelly nub. Go practice chambering couched lances with punchs you blue titted worbler.

This post is overflowing with truth.

Offline //saxon

• King
  • Renown: 1339
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • I'm just to dam goood 😎
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Saxon
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2012, 01:48:00 pm »
Well, be glad you didn't get hit by a Miadao/Danish/Nodachi/Claymore/War Cleaver then. That would've hurt you even more or killed you.
that doesn't matter if he would die in one hit by them weapons you mentioned, the katana killed him in 2 hits and he couldn't swing back so its just like he got killed in 1hit in ALL that body armor, yes he had a great maul but with any weapon maybe not if he was using the katana himself but he would still be out swinged and got 2hit so all them weapons you mentioned wouldn't change a thing, it would still be like he got 1hit by the katana because it would of happened that fast.  8-)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 01:53:24 pm by AzTec »

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2012, 02:24:43 pm »
I've tried all katana builds and dueled many many quality katana users with extreme builds. Back in the day, when the katana was even faster, there was never a time I couldn't block and slash back. My own build at lvl 40 had 210 or wpf, and Khorin had 225?? Everything was faster back then and no one really knew how to duel like these days where every noob can block whatever forever.

If you really really had no chance against someone it must have been a technical problem or your own reactions that was the cause. If you have bad ping (65-70+), not stable network, server load is high or a badly setup server, not fast enough fps (I recommend 60fps stable for smooth quick gameplay) or perhaps the opponent had weird ping. Check your network and graphics settings. (a little known secret is that on some graphic cards you can turn off pre-rendering of frames in the settings giving you a few milliseconds. Also I run dx7 because even though dx9 works fine it's just a tad smoother for me.

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2045
  • Infamy: 2072
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2012, 02:59:10 pm »
I heard that Katana and other weeaboo stuff will be removed. I heard that from Fasader before he disappeared...

Ninja lobby is strong!

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2012, 03:24:18 pm »
I really don't feel that money is a good way to balance items in cRPG at all. It's so easy to get gold, even easier with selling an heirloom point. Whatever the point of upkeep was it has been lessened by the existence of the marketplace.

The speed on Katana does seem a little undeserved; I'd rather it have length comparable with Longsword, as no other Two-Handed weapon really comes close to that speed (the closest thing is the Bastard Sword, I believe, at 99; even heirloomed it won't reach the speed of the Katana)

Looking outside of two-handed weapons, let's see what else has 101-102 speed. We'll glaze over Stick to start with, in one hands, and go up to Short Sword, Nomad Sabre, Yanmadao, Liuyedao, Italian Falchion, Niuweidao. All of these weapons are 101-102 speed, with less than 90 range, mostly in the mid-eighties; they cost less, but again, money is easy to come by, the game practically hands it to you now, not even considering heirloom selling, and they are underwhelming in their damage output. A few of the higher tier ones (Long Arming, Nordic Champion's) hit 97 reach, and the fastest "long" one-handed weapon being an Elite Scimitar at 99 reach with 100 speed. Even these higher tier weapons are slower and less damaging than the default Katana, with 1-2 more length, while requiring a greater investment into strength to use.

If the range of the Katana is really a detriment then I propose a blanket increase in all one-handed weapon's damage output to make up for their low length. Barring that I suggest a buff to the length of the Katana while bringing its speed more in line with the other two handed weapons, as well as some damage added to pierce or the removal of the stab animation altogether as 16p is a bad joke; .3 added to weight would seem fair in this scenario as well.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 03:31:56 pm by Malaclypse »
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2012, 04:36:07 pm »
If the range of the Katana is really a detriment

??

It is. Because the wielder of a longer weapon can often backpedal to skip a block and swing back. Katanas length is 95 which means you very rarely have that option, even against shielders. That means you most often have to block or evade all of the enemies strikes, there is no such thing as Evade+Strike. This goes for 99% of other 2 handers and probably 50% of other shielders.

This regime forces the katana user to fight in completely different way than the long 2 handers. Rather than doing range play (read: mostly gay backpedaling) you have to facehug and play with angles, go around the enemy. This is why athletics/agi go well with a short sword.

The katana has stats only slightly above 1 handers, and that is only in it's cut damage. You do use 2 hands to strike with. Take a stick and try to strike something with 1 hand. Then try 2 hands. See the difference? (ok some realism, but some people doesn't seem to understand that using 2 hands to wield a weapon can produce much much much more power and speed.)

You have to manual block almost everything, against a longer weapon you always have to block the first strike before you even have a chance to strike. No backpedal spam which still works, even against good players. Besides, range give you many more options in battle: Who to strike first, fighting cav, scaring people off etc etc.

Anyhow.. I agree with you that price should not be a part of balancing argument. It's the prime reason we use so few of the many cool and unique weapons we have available. It decreases diversity on the battlefield because everyone prioritize "The Best" weapon for their class/playstyle.

Fyi.. I made the ninja clan back then because I wanted to create an alternative to the mad min-maxing and gear focused play of the day. (And to kill archers with style)

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2012, 07:58:26 pm »
+2
(click to show/hide)

All this would do is further reduce the diversity among 2H. Why does everything need to be a slight variation of every other 2H? Why not have a few weapons that are genuinely different? Look at polearms, one of the biggest reason people play them over 2H is the diversity in the class. Why reduce the already poor diversity of 2H further, when the katana is NOT OP?

Offline //saxon

• King
  • Renown: 1339
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • I'm just to dam goood 😎
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Saxon
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2012, 10:30:19 pm »
i beg to differ non believers

Offline Black Wind

• Whiner
  • Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 185
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: PK
  • Game nicks: PK_IncrediblySkillful, The Right arm of the guy with 13 PC's that is PK
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2012, 09:17:57 am »
Katana... An interesting contraption.

Okay, I'll begin my rant, by suggesting that it doesn't have 95 reach, as it has a hitbox that extends well past the tip.

On another note, it has 37c and 101 speed. When +3 that's 102 speed and 40c... If you combine this with the 9:30 build, you can have 187 wpf. I shit you not. This makes the speed of the katana absolutely nutso, and the ultimate spam wep. When fighting this, it's hard to time your manual blocks in accordance with the weapon speed. You may be thinking that with 3 PS, it will do fuckall damage. Wrong. A 3:36 agility build with a scythe rarely bounces due to the very small range of damage with high wpf. (this can be checked on calculators). This 3:36 build with scythe is relevant to the 9:30 katana, as the damage principles are the same.

tl;dr = With the correct build boasting 187 wpf, and a +3 katana, u rape bitches.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Here in PK, we're better than you! And we know it.