Author Topic: Please stop trying to "fix" the combat  (Read 7718 times)

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
Re: Please stop trying to "fix" the combat
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2012, 06:40:25 pm »
Every time you add a game feature, the balance will be changed. it's either more features or a stagnant balance. Old players need to stop confusing their previous expectations with the direction the mod should go. It's like childhood music with these people, whatever they heard in their teenage years is "great" everything after sucks.

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2012, 07:19:21 pm »
+4
At the moment, melee is so slow that it is trivially easy to block a single player indefinitely, no matter what weapon they are using (this was an issue before the right-swing nerf too). This pretty much turns melee fights into a test to see who gets bored first.

I would have hoped that the developers would have been focused on making player skill more important, rather than less.

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2012, 07:22:00 pm »
well there are many classes that have been heavily nerfed before. The game isnt 2h vs everyone else.

2h got a tiny nerf compared to what throwers took and you think losing a little speed was harder to take then lancers losing most of their range. and yes lancers still pwn but so do 2h. Your class hasnt suddenly been nerfed to the ground..
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2012, 07:23:38 pm »
well there are many classes that have been heavily nerfed before. The game isnt 2h vs everyone else.

2h got a tiny nerf compared to what throwers took and you think losing a little speed was harder to take then lancers losing most of their range. and yes lancers still pwn but so do 2h. Your class hasnt suddenly been nerfed to the ground..
I'm not a 2h. I play every weapon class. My problem is that every single weapon class is easy to block at the moment - even 101 speed one-handers. Reducing the right swing speed just made this even worse.

Every fight should be exciting. You should be on the edge of your seat, constantly a split second away from certain death. At the moment, it's far more dull than that.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 07:25:19 pm by Vodner »

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2012, 08:06:45 pm »
Slower combat just increases the importance of teamplay.

Here's a pro tip: Attack people that are fighting someone else. You will probably kill them.

There might be a valid argument for increasing combat speed on the duel servers, and the devs might be receptive to that. You are just looking for a venue to show off your l33t swordplay, right?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 08:08:07 pm by Phew »

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2012, 08:10:50 pm »
+1
Slower combat just increases the importance of teamplay.
Teamplay remains important irrespective of whether or not individual combat is slow. Reducing combat to backstabbing is neither fun nor particularly interesting.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 08:19:39 pm by Vodner »

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2012, 08:13:52 pm »
+1
Reducing combat to backstabbing is neither fun nor particularly interesting.

This. It's not there yet, but that's basically what Phew is saying is ideal (apparently?). Making it a numbers game, all about backstabbing, would be the most boring thing ever.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Huey Newton

• Duke
  • Renown: 555
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Huey_Newton
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2012, 08:14:15 pm »
+4
Dear Devs,

Please continue nerfing cav. Cav is only getting easier for players such as myself and it is only becoming more and more of a problem.

Teamkills and Homosexuality

Cavalieres_Huey_Newton

Offline BADPLAYERold

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 362
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: PRO
  • Game nicks: BADPLAYER
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2012, 08:33:49 pm »
+2
Dear Devs,

Please continue nerfing cav. Cav is only getting easier for players such as myself and it is only becoming more and more of a problem.

Teamkills and Homosexuality

Cavalieres_Huey_Newton

this but unironically

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2012, 08:37:24 pm »
+3
This. It's not there yet, but that's basically what Phew is saying is ideal (apparently?). Making it a numbers game, all about backstabbing, would be the most boring thing ever.

The most effective combat tactic since the beginning of warfare has been flanking (which is what you refer to as backstabbing, I believe). M&B is meant to roughly capture the essence of medieval combat, where most battles were probably decided by whichever side had numbers and/or the most effective flanking maneuvers, not who had the one guy with the best fencing skills.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 08:40:31 pm by Phew »

Offline dynamike

• King
  • Renown: 1212
  • Infamy: 187
  • Let's be friends again?
    • View Profile
    • The Remnants Clan Website
  • Faction: Stratia
  • Game nicks: Remnant_dynamike
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2012, 08:38:46 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Maybe where you are wrong is: there is no big red button labeled "BALANCE" and when you push it the game is all of a sudden balanced.

Balance requires changing little things, one or a few at a time. When the effects are as desired, move on to the next changes. When the aftermath is lacking (e.g. a change is abuse able or imbalances something else), the change needs to be reverted or something else changed accordingly.

This all takes time an effort and I say:

Draw your verdict of the game when everything is set and done and the dev team releases the mod. Everything before that is just irrelevant.
For while the fire in the heart of a single Remnant still burns... can Stratia truly have fallen?

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2012, 08:42:34 pm »
+1
The most effective combat tactic since the beginning of warfare has been flanking (which is what you refer to as backstabbing, I believe). M&B is meant to roughly capture the essence of medieval combat, where most battles were probably decided by whichever side had the most effective flanking maneuvers, not who had the one guy with the best fencing skills.
Sorry, but reducing things to the point where player skill has little impact on victory makes for a terrible game. If you minimize the effect of individual skill, there is literally no reason to play the game - you may as well just have every battle autoresolve based on class composition.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2012, 08:45:45 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Maybe where you are wrong is: there is no big red button labeled "BALANCE" and when you push it the game is all of a sudden balanced.

Balance requires changing little things, one or a few at a time. When the effects are as desired, move on to the next changes. When the aftermath is lacking (e.g. a change is abuse able or imbalances something else), the change needs to be reverted or something else changed accordingly.

This all takes time an effort and I say:

Draw your verdict of the game when everything is set and done and the dev team releases the mod. Everything before that is just irrelevant.

It's been around for what, 2 years now?  I don't think they will ever achieve a perfect balance.  I'm just against nerfs in general, I don't see anything as being so unbalanced it breaks the game.  Continual tweaking of item stats and difficulties (not to mention direct class changes) mean that at the beginning of your current generation char you are basing your build on one set of game settings, and then at the end it could be completely different. 

I say let people get used to the settings, and if you deem a balance issue to be very necessary in fixing, then tread lightly.  If the change you implement daisy chains a bunch of other issues, revert the change and come up with a better solution.  Daisy chaining a nerf to fix a balance issue a previous nerf caused is a downhill slope that never ends.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2012, 09:00:33 pm »
+1
Sorry, but reducing things to the point where player skill has little impact on victory makes for a terrible game. If you minimize the effect of individual skill, there is literally no reason to play the game - you may as well just have every battle autoresolve based on class composition.

Tactical aptitude is a 'skill' just like twitch reflexes. Up combat speed, and you over-emphasize the twitch reflex skill while under-emphasizing good tactics. I think the current combat speed strikes a good balance between the two. Up the combat speed, and whichever team lucks into getting the one guy with Jedi-like reflexes is nearly assured victory. The slow combat speed puts a cap on how much impact those Jedi can have on the overall battle, allowing a team with superior tactics but inferior reflexes to have a chance.

Increased combat speed could result in every battle being "autoresolved" just based on whichever team has the best ping values. Do you want that?

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2012, 10:21:55 pm »
Maybe us duelists want our skills to count in battle too?

Yes, I am aware of the ping problem, and it's a legitimate one, but I'm sitting on ~65-70 ping and I can handle the current speed with ease.

We already got stat/number dependent classes (ranged and cav), can't we keep melee more about duel skill? There are tons of options if you want to teamplay; pikeman, cav, twatcher, x-bow, crushthrough who can all kill "jedi" players without getting touched themselves.

These are all classes that tremendously reduce duel skill impact, but when regular melee becomes just a teamplay element as well... Well, where are the options? Warband has the most awesome melee combat system ever developed imho, let us develop and use it!

Let close combat regular melee be for the *duelists* (there are awesome melee players who almost don't duel at all), for those who want to develop and get really good at it.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die