Author Topic: 'All thine hard work...' message  (Read 3901 times)

Offline buba

• Count
  • Renown: 193
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Buba_theVagabond
Re: 'All thine hard work...' message
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 06:33:21 pm »
Current system works, sort of.
But its far from perfect like all you guys know.
I love the fact that certain clans get to use their signature equipment in strat for cheaper then some one else.
I hope that with whatever change the devs make in the future, that atleast will be saved.

I do not have a clear solution atm, but maybe a quick fix for the time beeing could be to prefent getting the msg at low lvl, and up the chance you get the msg after lvl 25 or so.
Getting it for the saved gear setup sounds nice, but what would prefent people to change their equipment before each round?
Say get a rouncy in your saved equipment slot,  but always be on foot, or us a more expensive horse on puplic servers.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 06:44:06 pm »
Current system works, sort of.
But its far from perfect like all you guys know.
I love the fact that certain clans get to use their signature equipment in strat for cheaper then some one else.
I hope that with whatever change the devs make in the future, that atleast will be saved.

I do not have a clear solution atm, but maybe a quick fix for the time beeing could be to prefent getting the msg at low lvl, and up the chance you get the msg after lvl 25 or so.
Getting it for the saved gear setup sounds nice, but what would prefent people to change their equipment before each round?
Say get a rouncy in your saved equipment slot,  but always be on foot, or us a more expensive horse on puplic servers.

It's not just what is in your saved gear, from what I can tell it goes by what equipment you spawn with every round.  I almost never play with my saved gear setup, I'm usually changing something.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline buba

• Count
  • Renown: 193
  • Infamy: 33
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Buba_theVagabond
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2011, 06:48:28 pm »
Thats true, you only get a bump with crafting with the gear you are currently using.
Even if you spawned with a horse, but it died halfway trew and then you get the msg, you will not get a skill increase.

What i said was more of a suggestion, or idea of how to deal with the current problems with crafting in strat.
Sorry if i was not clear enough ;)

Offline Beat

• Mighty
  • Knight
  • Renown: 71
  • Infamy: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2011, 06:51:45 pm »
That has not been my experience, CrazyCracka420.

I equipped a worn robe, cudgel and stones for ONE ROUND as a joke and I got the message.  I can now craft these items in strat for 1g each but I can buy them from any fief for less than that.  I guess there is a 1g minimum price on crafting gear.  Lucky me.

I understand your point and that of buba, but it discourages people from trying out new gear or just equipping things for fun sometimes.  It can also get old using the same gear all the time when playing cRPG.  And what about the issue of broken shields, dead horses and unsheathable items (and perhaps expended ammo?)that are dropped before you get the message?

Offline Skysong

• Knight
  • Renown: 57
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Guard_Skysong
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 06:52:28 pm »
I was in an empty server once (should be EU 4 or 2) swinging my sword around to check input lag and got the message.  :twisted:

Offline Beat

• Mighty
  • Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 06:54:24 pm »
I got it on a duel server once.

Offline dodnet

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 149
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: DoD, DoD_Wolper
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2011, 07:32:18 pm »
From my experience the more equipment I leave the same and spawn with the more likely I am to get the message.  When you change out items it delays the message (not sure the specifics).

Definatly not. I have almost the same gear since a few gens now (only changed weapons) and I only got it at my first or second gen and again when I switched to cav 2 or 3 gens later. Both times I got it during my last gen it was one or two minutes after start of round when nothing had happened yet.
The logic of war seems to be that if a belligerent can fight he will fight.

(click to show/hide)

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Strategus Councillor
  • Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2011, 11:17:38 pm »
Definatly not. I have almost the same gear since a few gens now (only changed weapons) and I only got it at my first or second gen and again when I switched to cav 2 or 3 gens later. Both times I got it during my last gen it was one or two minutes after start of round when nothing had happened yet.

You must be doing something wrong then, because I've gotten the message at least 10 times in my current gen (about 400k from lvl 31)
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2011, 11:52:12 pm »
You must be doing something wrong then, because I've gotten the message at least 10 times in my current gen (about 400k from lvl 31)

Do you switch gear often?

I feel like I see it most often after making a fairly big gear swap but that could just be coincidence.

Here's my full, current list:
(click to show/hide)

So I do get it a lot but I can see no definite trend towards "doing something wrong" vs "doing something right" to spark the message.  If you think you are "doing something right" then what might that be?
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2011, 05:20:38 pm »
+2
I don't think switching gear matters, it really seems to be super random. I wear the same gear, and put most of it on at an early level (my light armour setup is difficulty 7-8) and I seem to be lucky to get the crafting message once per gen.

I kind of like the system where you craft the stuff you wear in CRPG. It gives people incentive to wear more cost effective gear in CRPG that's viable in strategus instead of crutching on luxury armour, and it raises pretty slowly so some clans have built up impressive specializations in signature gear. What I really dislike the random timing of gains which give some lucky people multiple times per day while others go whole gens without a single skill up, and if you put on some alternate equipment you have to pray you don't get your skill up then.

My idea:
I think you should be able to set an item for each slot (a duplicate of the screen where we save our default gear) that you are learning to craft, and only when you are wearing the gear you have saved you acquire skill in it. So if you have an axe set to gain skill but equip a sword in CRPG you gain no skill, when you switch back to that axe you gain skill again. So you if you want to fool around with some other gear you don't lose progress for your craft items, but you don't gain any either. Item crafting levels could be tied to XP gain, and should display how much exp to crafting level up. If you switch out your saved item just before a level gain you wouldn't get it for the new item, it would be back at zero.

Offline Beat

• Mighty
  • Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2011, 07:25:48 pm »
I really like some of those ideas, Tuboflex.  Hopefully the devs are watching this thread.

Offline Hobb

• Earl
  • Renown: 489
  • Infamy: 96
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2011, 07:56:14 pm »
idk, non cav being able to craft horses cheap doesnt sound like a good idea.. gttn to put a rouncey in ur slot without using one?

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Strategus Councillor
  • Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2011, 08:10:53 pm »
Do you switch gear often?

I feel like I see it most often after making a fairly big gear swap but that could just be coincidence.

Here's my full, current list:
(click to show/hide)

So I do get it a lot but I can see no definite trend towards "doing something wrong" vs "doing something right" to spark the message.  If you think you are "doing something right" then what might that be?

Well Bred Courser    14    50.86%   390
Heavy Lance    14    50.86%   191
Heraldic Mail with Surcoat    9    46.56%   129
Mail Chausses    9    46.56%   28
Knightly Arming Sword    9    46.56%   192
Elite Cavalry Shield    9    46.56%   82
Nordic Footman Helmet    9    46.56%   27
Mail Shirt    9    46.56%   107
Mail Mittens    9    46.56%   26
Black Greaves    6    42.93%   106
Iron War Axe    6    42.93%   119
Great Helmet    5    41.39%   158
Wisby Gauntlets    3    37.37%   95
Knightly Heater Shield    2    34.46%   114

I also don't play nearly as much as a lot of people.  I seem to get the message when I leave most of my gear the same (I usually switch some things out once in a while).  That's the only rhyme or reason I can think of is the longer you use the same gear and the less variation you have, the more I seem to get the message. 

When I say doing it wrong vs right, I would say doing it right (as far as I can tell) is to leave most o f your gear the same every time you spawn.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Aseldo

• Baron
  • Renown: 147
  • Infamy: 80
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • you reading this?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Egad_Captain_TKoV
  • IRC nick: Egad
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2011, 08:14:19 pm »
I really don't understand it at all. My gen before this one I got the message at least 6 times but my current gen I haven't seen it once. It's making me extremely frustrated :\

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Strategus Councillor
  • Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2011, 08:18:08 pm »
I really don't understand it at all. My gen before this one I got the message at least 6 times but my current gen I haven't seen it once. It's making me extremely frustrated :\

Not very helpful for us to figure out what circumstances create the message.  Do you always use the same equipment?  Do you swap any or all of it out once in a while (or frequently)?  Anything you're doing different?
 - Stolen from Macropussy