Author Topic: Stamina Bar Needed  (Read 8215 times)

Offline 1slander

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Timing that sidestep is key to the 1h battle axe
    • View Profile
  • Faction: NORD
  • Game nicks: Araios, Pallas, Hammer. Formerly DRAC & Duke_of_Hazard
Stamina Bar Needed
« on: February 04, 2011, 06:41:44 pm »
We need a stamina bar of some kind.  It could effect walk speed, swing speed, damage on hit, etc.  It would be effected by the obvious, like equipment weight, movement, attacking, etc.  It would sure turn down the spammers.
Float like a butterfly sting like an axe

Offline IG_Saint

• Count
  • Renown: 196
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: IG
Re: Stamina Bar Needed
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 06:42:49 pm »
This again...Lets make this short: No, it would ruin the game. Go look up one of the other million threads about stamina if you want to know why.

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 07:39:30 pm »
A slash in the head stop spammers too...

No need of stamina bar for that, for other things may be, but not for that.

Offline Joxer

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Autolycus Joxer_The_Mighty Salmoneus
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 08:12:53 pm »
This again...Lets make this short: Yes, it would fix the game. Go look up one of the other million threads about stamina if you want to know why.

There fix'd
Why is everybody telling me to think? I think, I just don't show it.

Offline 1slander

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Timing that sidestep is key to the 1h battle axe
    • View Profile
  • Faction: NORD
  • Game nicks: Araios, Pallas, Hammer. Formerly DRAC & Duke_of_Hazard
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 08:22:32 pm »
This again...Lets make this short: No, it would ruin the game. Go look up one of the other million threads about stamina if you want to know why.

Now that I've heard your opinion I'm going to open up my mind and listen to every one elses.  Thanks for your two bit retort.

I among others feel this is a needed change.
Float like a butterfly sting like an axe

Offline Punisher

• Baron
  • Renown: 127
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Punisher
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 10:01:33 pm »
Is there a day when we don't get a stamina bar request? Oh yeah cRPG would be so awesome with stamina, you will hit-block-hit-block for ages in slow motion, oh joy :rolleyes:

Offline Siboire

• Knight
  • Renown: 43
  • cRPG Player
  • Sergentariá D'armas
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Occitan
  • Game nicks: Occitan_FullMetalJacket
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 10:20:59 pm »
Is there a day when we don't get a stamina bar request? Oh yeah cRPG would be so awesome with stamina, you will hit-block-hit-block for ages in slow motion, oh joy :rolleyes:

LOL Blocking requires stamina too in a stamina bar system -_- a Half-Life2 Medieval mod known as Age of Chivalry had one and it was really great! When you would run/block/attack it would take some of your stamina depending on the weight of ur armor and weapon. While simply walking and not blocking or attacking, you would regen your stamina over time like around 5-10 seconds. It's just to not let players manual block like 15 hits in a row or swing a polearms 10 times without getting tired...  Making the game even more realistic.

I'm not saying that we should copy that but it's still some good ideas :D

Offline Mouse

• Noble
  • Renown: 18
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ATS
  • Game nicks: Mouse, Nezumi, Maus
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 10:50:58 pm »
We need a stamina bar of some kind.  It could effect walk speed, swing speed, damage on hit, etc.  It would be effected by the obvious, like equipment weight, movement, attacking, etc.  It would sure turn down the spammers.

Learn to block. LEARN TO BLOCK. Blocking solves ALL spammer problems. ALL OF THEM! NO STAMINA BAR EVER OR I WILL NEVER LET GO OF THE SHIFT KEY!

Offline Mouse

• Noble
  • Renown: 18
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ATS
  • Game nicks: Mouse, Nezumi, Maus
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 10:55:29 pm »
LOL Blocking requires stamina too in a stamina bar system -_- a Half-Life2 Medieval mod known as Age of Chivalry had one and it was really great! When you would run/block/attack it would take some of your stamina depending on the weight of ur armor and weapon. While simply walking and not blocking or attacking, you would regen your stamina over time like around 5-10 seconds. It's just to not let players manual block like 15 hits in a row or swing a polearms 10 times without getting tired...  Making the game even more realistic.

I'm not saying that we should copy that but it's still some good ideas :D

Your idea is bad and you should feel bad. "Perfect blocking" is what makes Warband require so much skill. There's always room to improve your skill and it will never be artificially capped by some stamina bar.

The only "stamina bar" we need is the player's ability to focus. Wear their concentration and patience out with feints, delayed attacks, varied attack patterns, and footwork. When their "stamina bar" runs out they'll make a mistake and then you kill them.

Offline jspook

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Auphan
  • Game nicks: Pit
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 11:00:42 pm »
All a stamina bar would do to this game would be to make the lighter faster waepon users GODS of the game.  There would be no point to using anything else.
Plate=   there went your stamina
Polearm= stamina gone
2h=  one swing no more swingy
1h=  new spammer.

And let's not forget at long ranged weapns or throwers.  Crossbows are the new sexy

Horrible idea.  Talk about breaking the balance
Right now people have to actually waste attribute and wpf to use these classes effectively.  And you want to take that away too?
"Scissors needs a nerf because he beats me every time, but rock is just fine" - paper

Offline Siboire

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • Sergentariá D'armas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 11:25:18 pm »
Your idea is bad and you should feel bad. "Perfect blocking" is what makes Warband require so much skill. There's always room to improve your skill and it will never be artificially capped by some stamina bar.

Why should I feel bad for saying my opinion? O.O'' Are you fascist?

Anyway, you should be the one feeling bad cuz "good spammers" will just spam you until you fuck up a block or 2 and kill you! I know how to block man, I'm no noob thank you very much! "Good spammers" will just not give you time to counter so what are you gonna do? Block block block block -oh shit got hit- block block block -oh shit got hit- etc etc etc...  until they kill you if nobody comes to help you back stab him... You can't perfectly block all the hits of a real spammer! Some are surely gonna hit you! Man when you can't even land a hit/counter cuz of retarded game mecanism it's not my "lack of blocking skills" that needs to be fixed but a simple system that would make spamming impossible!

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 11:42:03 pm »
All a stamina bar would do to this game would be to make the lighter faster waepon users GODS of the game.  There would be no point to using anything else.
Plate=   there went your stamina
Polearm= stamina gone
2h=  one swing no more swingy
1h=  new spammer.

And let's not forget at long ranged weapns or throwers.  Crossbows are the new sexy

Horrible idea.  Talk about breaking the balance
Right now people have to actually waste attribute and wpf to use these classes effectively.  And you want to take that away too?

You are right of course, because adding stamina would have to be done in a completely dumb and unbalanced way. Somehow, stamina couldn't be balanced and tweaked like all other aspects of the game, because...

If you can finish this sentence, I will start reading your posts again.

Stamina could indeed improve the game. Of course, strength would influence how much stamina you lose due to item weight. A strong character can carry more and swing heavier weapons without getting tired.

Furthermore, it would be a chance to remove the requirements on weapons. Instead of silly hard requirements, weapons would be available for everyone, but if you are not strong enough, you lose a lot of stamina when swinging it, making your second swing slow as hell. Would also be better for balance, because if some agi spammers abused some weapon, you could simply make it a bit heavier, so that they could still use it, but wouldn't be as fast anymore. Currently, you can either make the weapon slower in general, which also affects str builds, or you can up the requirements, which will render it completely unusable for some builds.

BTW: We don't need a visual cue for stamina, if your player starts to swing slowly, just stop swinging and running for a while. So we don't really need a stamina "bar", just the mechanism.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Siboire

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • Sergentariá D'armas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 12:06:50 am »
You are right of course, because adding stamina would have to be done in a completely dumb and unbalanced way. Somehow, stamina couldn't be balanced and tweaked like all other aspects of the game, because...

If you can finish this sentence, I will start reading your posts again.

Stamina could indeed improve the game. Of course, strength would influence how much stamina you lose due to item weight. A strong character can carry more and swing heavier weapons without getting tired.

Furthermore, it would be a chance to remove the requirements on weapons. Instead of silly hard requirements, weapons would be available for everyone, but if you are not strong enough, you lose a lot of stamina when swinging it, making your second swing slow as hell. Would also be better for balance, because if some agi spammers abused some weapon, you could simply make it a bit heavier, so that they could still use it, but wouldn't be as fast anymore. Currently, you can either make the weapon slower in general, which also affects str builds, or you can up the requirements, which will render it completely unusable for some builds.

BTW: We don't need a visual cue for stamina, if your player starts to swing slowly, just stop swinging and running for a while. So we don't really need a stamina "bar", just the mechanism.

That's good ideas in my opinion (needed to state it was an opinion for the fascist mouse)! But a visual cue would be nice too I think, like the hp bar. 

Offline Joxer

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Autolycus Joxer_The_Mighty Salmoneus
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 02:21:20 am »
First of all blocking shouldn't be impaired with such a system. Blocking should take little out of your toon thought. Running, shooting speed and swinging recovery speed for heavy weapons should only be affected. Of course all 2H spammers and polespammers resist this. It's kinda obvious response from them. I myself would love this nerf to my weapon. Argument that this would ruin the game probably spawns from failed attempts in some games at this. These guys should go and try original operation flashpoint for example to see how it improves game.
Why is everybody telling me to think? I think, I just don't show it.

Offline IG_Saint

• Count
  • Renown: 196
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: IG
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2011, 03:23:09 am »
First of all blocking shouldn't be impaired with such a system. Blocking should take little out of your toon thought. Running, shooting speed and swinging recovery speed for heavy weapons should only be affected. Of course all 2H spammers and polespammers resist this. It's kinda obvious response from them. I myself would love this nerf to my weapon. Argument that this would ruin the game probably spawns from failed attempts in some games at this. These guys should go and try original operation flashpoint for example to see how it improves game.

No, arguments that a stamina system would ruin the game stem from not wanting to see the amazing, fast paced and frantic melee combat of m&b ruined by a system that takes away player control. If you're getting spammed, you're doing it wrong, go practice until you realise that spam is useless unless backed up by excellent footwork, timing and blocking.