Author Topic: Light/Medium Cavalry Survival Guide  (Read 4356 times)

Offline Roran Hawkins

• Knight
  • Renown: 46
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hedge Knight
  • Game nicks: Roran
Light/Medium Cavalry Survival Guide
« on: January 04, 2011, 03:02:43 pm »
First of all, there are different types of light/medium cavalry.

1)Lancers (polearm builds)
2)Bumpslashers (1h/2h builds)
3)HA (HA)
4)Throwers
5)Xbowers

1)The lancers concentrate on speed and damage by couching enemies. Their primary target is heavy cavalry and archers, and kill them by couching them from the sides (heavy cav) or from behind (archers). They usually have a courser, or another very quick horse, a heavy lance, some small and fast shield, and a secondary weapon. They are agile but fragile, and best stay out of combat. They§ use light armour to quickly couch or lance enemies.

2)The bumpslashers are versatile, because their weapon can be used to fight infatry as well as cavalry. This class requires much timing, but the reward is great. With enougb speed bonus, they can engage heavy cavalry, and kill plated enemies. They are weak VS archers, who tend to shoot them while jumping aside. They usually use a 1h sword and shield or 2h in 1h mode, or a morningstar for crushtrough. The horse I recommand is a destrier, it is quite durable and fast. They have medium to high armour to ensure survivability against archers.

3)I don't know anything about HA.

4)I don't know enough about throwing from horseback, but that you also need horse archer skill

5) The Xbow cavalry uses a crossbow that ca be reloaded from horseback and try to kill other light cavalry with the more devastating shots from their crossbows. Or they use heavy crossbows wich they reload outside combat. Then they have the ability to chase and kill heavy cavalry.

Enemies

Your main enemy as light/medium cavalry is archers. They can kill your horse in up to 3 arrows, while you try to engage them. Try to avoid attacking aware archers, flank them instead. When you are attacking an aware archer, try zigzagging, slowing and accelerating, and randomly moiving to avoid as many arrows as possible. When in melee range, try to bump them, so you have the chance to turn around and engage them. If you miss the bump, try to dodge the arrows he sends after you while trying to escape.

Another dangerous enemy is the crossbow. They can heavily damage your horse, or kill you while charging at them. To fight them, make sure they miss their first bolt, and then engage them while they are reloading.

Pikeman are your nemesis. They can stop your horse from a large range, and let the common cavhate finish the job. The best you can do is avoid them, and when stopped, dismount yourself, so you wont get KD'ed by your horse dying.

Even more dangerous than pikeman, are people with 2h swords. They outrange your lance while couched, and they do heavy damage to your horse and you. Thanks to the lolstab, they can damage you for a long time while driving past, and have a small invisible range.

Another dangerous enemy is throwing. Their heavy weaponry in the hands of a high-level or skilled player can do devastating damage to you and your horse. The best solution is to avoid attacking them when they are aware, and flanking them. Especially watch out for throwing lances, they end your horses life really quickly.

To stay alive, try to stay out of melee mobs, and streets full of archers. When you horse is at low health, try to dismount before you get KD'ed by your horse's death. This will ensure yours too.

Tell me if I have forgotten something, and please comment. I hope this guide was usefull.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 03:04:47 pm by Sir_Roran_Hawkins »

Offline Kophka

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • for the final ride
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Kophka/Koschei
  • IRC nick: Kophka
Re: Light/Medium Cavalry Survival Guide
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 04:00:48 pm »
Excellent guide, Sir Roran! Would you mind overmuch if I chime in on the Horse Throwing a bit? In presumption of a "sure, go for it" I'll go ahead and start my post.

Horse Throwing is much like Horse Archery, with a few key differences. These are : Range of weapon, Horrendous Accuracy, and Limitation of ammunition.

The rapid drop on most throwing weapons from horseback, combined with the need for agility to gain riding skill (reducing your accuracy vs the high strength build, due to broken wpf mechanics with throwing), means that against groundbased enemies, you often must be with in pike or lance range to score a hit. You can either throw into a mass with the hope of a hit (a viable tactic with low PT) or pick enemies that are not paying attention. One trick that I like to use, takes advantage of the fact that throwing, unlike archery, allows a horsemen to aim a little to the right of the horse's head. You can actually charge head long at an enemy, veer slightly to the left, and throw the javelin (or whichever weapon you prefer), and peel off to the left of him, often confusing the heck out of the enemy in doing so. This will give you a better chance of a hit, since you don't have to worry as much about leading him, like throwing to the side as you pass requires. Practice in single player, to gain the knowledge of your preferred weapons flight, and you'll be nailing enemies to the dirt in no time at all.

On the Limited Ammunition, it's a factor that requires all throwing cavalry (Javalry) to dual class as melee cav as well. If you've survived long enough to deplete your ammunition, and you still have your horse, it is very doubtful that you will have the time and safety to go hunting for spent ammuntion. This makes either saving a shot for melee, or carrying a secondary weapon very important. I prefer a polearm for this, a light lance is a wonderful tool for fending off enemy cavalry or catching unaware foot soldiers, but a heavy lance is just as effective. Unlike my self, I've seen my good friend Braeden completely demolish an enemy line with a longsword from horseback, so choose the weapon you like, if you know how to use it. Remember that survival as light cavalry requires you to play a game of angles, instead of straight line attacks. Your horse is very vulnerable, so approaching at an angle, and changing direction often will help reduce the number of hits you and your mount take.

Good luck to all you fledgling Javalry out there, look me up in the NA server in the evenings if you need help, tips, or want to practice in the duel server.  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 04:02:07 pm by Kophka »

Offline Roran Hawkins

• Knight
  • Renown: 46
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hedge Knight
  • Game nicks: Roran
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 04:59:28 pm »
Well, I've never played HA, thrower cavalry or Xbow cavalry before, but I knew some things from native SP about the last. I don't want to give people bad tips and stuff.

Thx  :D

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 05:41:50 pm »
I pretty much second this thread.

From most dangerous to least dangerous, I would rank enemies as such

#1) Archers- High damage, accurate at long range, and your horse will fall in 2-3 arrows tops.
#2) Throwers- High damage, completely inaccurate, but when there's a good thrower in a group of enemies: move on. They WILL take out your horse before you can kill them.
#3) Two handed swordsmen. 100% agree with reasons stated above. They won't stop your horse with their poke, chances are they'll just kill it and chop you up after you fall. Sneak up on these guys for the kill.
#4) Crossbows- High damage, not very accurate, and slow rate of fire. If they miss, their ass is yours.
#5) Pikes- Can stop your horse and has long range. Annoying, but only deadly if you engage them.

Bottom line: take your time, pick your targets. As a medium or light cavalry, your horse is a lot more fragile than you may be used to in native. Your horse won't be able to take on ranged fire unless you have a plated (horse ride 4 or higher) horse. Use your mobility to your advantage!
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Murchad

• Noble
  • Renown: 24
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 08:38:53 pm »
My input to this thread is regarding HA's
I would suggest that HA's are any cavs worst danger,
I am primarily a HA and only die to cav by being boxed in, running into obstacles or poor awareness in general.

The best thing cavalry can do to counter horsearchers is to stay at range and try to come from behind when the HA is looking the other direction.

Lure HA's into friendly archer fire.

Use lance of compensation to take out horse. (horsearchers like to stay just out of range and sometimes understimate the LoC's range.

#1 Work in groups to focus on HA's first.
groups of cavalry focusing on HA's are pretty effective.
if you don't take out the horse/archer pretty soon your cavalry squadron will be a lumbering group of slow footmen.

Offline Boss_Awesome

• Earl
  • Renown: 338
  • Infamy: 65
  • cRPG Player
  • I am the Kwisatz Haderach
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade (Not the Coalition)
  • Game nicks: Boss_Awesome
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 08:39:42 pm »
With a fast but vulnerable horse, like a courser, you need to watch your angles of approach.  If you move directly at an enemy, or away from them, you are easy to hit.  Go at an angle or abeam and you will only be hit by the most skilled unless you are at too close range.  Pick an angle and go with it, attack and escape.  With a fast horse you have time to make a pass on an enemy the moment they turn to check their other side for potential cav.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 12:02:37 pm »
+1
My input to this thread is regarding HA's
I would suggest that HA's are any cavs worst danger,
I am primarily a HA and only die to cav by being boxed in, running into obstacles or poor awareness in general.

The best thing cavalry can do to counter horsearchers is to stay at range and try to come from behind when the HA is looking the other direction.

Lure HA's into friendly archer fire.

Use lance of compensation to take out horse. (horsearchers like to stay just out of range and sometimes understimate the LoC's range.

#1 Work in groups to focus on HA's first.
groups of cavalry focusing on HA's are pretty effective.
if you don't take out the horse/archer pretty soon your cavalry squadron will be a lumbering group of slow footmen.

This is a very important point.

If you don't have any ranged weapon on horse, don't even try to fight anything that has ranged weapons and a mount. The lack of a bump and the way horses work will simply lead to your (horse) death. Even if you are in a group of 10 cav, taking out an HA only relies on his errors, and many of your teammates will loose their horse in the process, either due to enemy arrows or to teamwounding. So the best reaction vs HA is retreating to your "carrier", meaning the mob on foot, especially ally archers.

Cavalry requires a little bit of patience at round starts. You need the enemy to be engaged to do your work properly.

Offline Mr_Moe

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 07:19:54 pm »
Hey I got some questions,
I bought myself a Great Lance, but then i figured out that it's couchable ONLY. So I cant do normal attacks with it...
I dont like that at all because I normally dont play couching cav, only to break shields.

So any one has an Idea what polearms are Couchable only and what polearms are best to use for cav?

I normally carry a long weapon and for example a Hafted Blade for closer combat.

Offline Morghann

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 09:00:27 pm »
I like the practice lance in native.  Blunt damage, good range, can couch or jab with it. Don't know about multiplayer, though.
"It is not just that I shall succeed, but that all else shall fail." - Genghis Khan

Offline Moofed

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
  • LET'S PLAY MONEY MAKING GAME
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 09:38:36 pm »
Mr_Moe, you can see all of the different attacks a weapon has at http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,132836.0.html . Most of the other lances have thrust and overswing, the great lance is very specialized.

Offline PikeDan

• Knight
  • Renown: 28
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player
  • Pro Fide, pro utilitate hominum
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Pikedan
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 07:38:41 pm »
I lean toward the Light Lance for my Cav-based needs. It's a great couching weapon and is just as supurb as a fast jabbing weapon, does wonders against enemy light cav and it's good enough on the thrust that you don't need to rely on the Couch to kill infantry. It is, however, the second shortest of the lance weapons, so if you're planning on going head-on with a guy who's got a LoC or a Great Lance, don't bother, It'll only end badly.
Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong. That is our oath.

Offline ShinySpoons

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: RS
  • Game nicks: AltOfSpoons
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 04:18:04 am »
I use to use only a warspear/light lance on a steppe horse and just stab infantry all day. But with more cav and smarter infantry I now use a heavy lance and a sarranid horse. The 45 degree angle poke is the only way to take out good, aware infantry with a long weapon and for that you need manoeuvrability.

Fighting cav on a faster horse just means I can't chase, if they wish to get into range I can usually out manoeuvre them or, if they're a better poker than me, I just chuck stuff at them  :lol:

Offline Kophka

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • for the final ride
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Kophka/Koschei
  • IRC nick: Kophka
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 05:06:10 am »
Yes it seems awlpikes and pikes are standard issue these days, so light lance is getting less and less useful. I use light lance just for the "I'm a fast light steppe cavalry guy!" factor, but I may have to concede and move with the times.

Offline PikeDan

• Knight
  • Renown: 28
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player
  • Pro Fide, pro utilitate hominum
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Pikedan
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 09:05:53 am »
Yeah, I'm starting to lean toward heavy lances now in regards to fighting infantry. Courser+Awlpike usually means bad things when you're charging ahead at full speed.

That being said, I still like the Light Lance as a Jabbing weapon against other cav when I throw all of my Javelins away, either at Cav or when I strafe Infantry. Wardarts might be a better choice as a throwing weapon on cav, though.
Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong. That is our oath.

Offline Erika_Furudo

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 01:57:22 am »
I've heard that the horse can get wounded, and then require more riding skill to ride.

Is that true?