Author Topic: The Crusades in the Holy Land  (Read 29885 times)

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
Re: The Crusades in the Holy Land
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2011, 06:15:25 pm »
You know the Israelis consider the blockade of Gaza and operations like Cast Lead to be "defensive".

And America seemed to think it's invasions have been "Just".

you want to talk about politics take it somewhere else. The fact that Muslims still see everything from the crusade's perspective shows how backwards their thinking still is. Get out of the dark ages retard.

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2011, 06:25:16 pm »
there was no money to be made in the crusades, it was waged purely for religious reasons. As foreign as it sounds to us, the crusaders truely believed in god and redemption

Offline FICO

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bandits
  • Game nicks: Bandit_FICO
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2011, 12:18:11 pm »
there was no money to be made in the crusades, it was waged purely for religious reasons. As foreign as it sounds to us, the crusaders truely believed in god and redemption
all those caravans, sugar, paper, spices

look at that caravan there. full of gold and silver, commodities.... must... resist....... company, CHAAAAAAARGE!!!! FOR MON... err... FOR CHRIST!!!!

as in any war people fight for different reasons. money, glory, beliefs, life, freedom, slaves, sex....
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 12:20:04 pm by FICO »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

A fighter is more dangerous, starved, sick, injured, sleep-deprived, drunk and naked than the normal person is well-fed, healthy, whole, rested, cold sober and armed to the teeth

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2011, 12:42:46 am »
all those caravans, sugar, paper, spices

look at that caravan there. full of gold and silver, commodities.... must... resist....... company, CHAAAAAAARGE!!!! FOR MON... err... FOR CHRIST!!!!

as in any war people fight for different reasons. money, glory, beliefs, life, freedom, slaves, sex....

conquest of palestine would not do anything to open the silk road... Nor would the raiding of caravans return more investment than a fiefdom comparing cost-benefit. Leaving for crusades means leaving your fief behind unprotected (except by the church)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 12:45:58 am by Thucydides »

Offline FICO

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2011, 01:14:13 am »
conquest of palestine would not do anything to open the silk road... Nor would the raiding of caravans return more investment than a fiefdom comparing cost-benefit. Leaving for crusades means leaving your fief behind unprotected (except by the church)
if you're owner of fief. if you have older brothers, if you're citizen of free (royal) city, peasant trying to run away... that's a world of new possibilities. and you have to remember that for people in europe it was promissed land, land of gold, honey and milk, miracles...

A fighter is more dangerous, starved, sick, injured, sleep-deprived, drunk and naked than the normal person is well-fed, healthy, whole, rested, cold sober and armed to the teeth

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2011, 03:24:48 am »
if you're owner of fief. if you have older brothers, if you're citizen of free (royal) city, peasant trying to run away... that's a world of new possibilities. and you have to remember that for people in europe it was promissed land, land of gold, honey and milk, miracles...

you're mixing up the reasons to go to war vs the reason FOR the war. We're talking about completely different things. Those who perpretrated the crusades were not considering how much money they were going to make.

Plus, how is this war different from any other? Why would you go off to some far off land when there are wars nearby that you can benefit from? The absolving of sins is a powerful motivator

Offline FICO

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2011, 10:59:32 am »
sorry... i misunderstood you.
the reason of crusades was actually power of papal state. it was some sort of test for christian states so pope can see his standing AND when byzantium refused helping in reconquest of holy lands it was a great chance for west church to spread influence and power. casus belli was denying access to the holy grave

that is how i perceive it

Offline CtrlAltDe1337

• Knight
  • Renown: 31
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
  • Victoria aut mors
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ATS / Northern Empire
  • Game nicks: Kataphraktos, Muffins, CtrlAltDelete, Haleth
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2011, 09:17:20 pm »
sorry... i misunderstood you.
the reason of crusades was actually power of papal state. it was some sort of test for christian states so pope can see his standing AND when byzantium refused helping in reconquest of holy lands it was a great chance for west church to spread influence and power. casus belli was denying access to the holy grave

that is how i perceive it
You do realize that the crusade was called BECAUSE Constantinople asked for help, right?  :rolleyes:
Quote from: IRC
<abearirl>crtlaltdel shut up | you are the worst | sperglord | i hate you so much | if i could ban goatee or ban you | i'd ban you
<Wylker|work>man if i was locked in a bunker with einstein, stalin, and CtrlAltDelete and had a gun with only 2 bullets | I'd shoot CtrlAltDelete twice

Offline FICO

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2011, 07:50:41 am »
You do realize that the crusade was called BECAUSE Constantinople asked for help, right?  :rolleyes:
yes :) but did THEY (constantinople) help?

Offline krampe

• Knight
  • Renown: 29
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Count Palatine of the Rhine
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pony
  • Game nicks: krampe and the moons
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2011, 10:32:38 am »
yes :) but did THEY (constantinople) help?

Yes, to get rid of the burden of riches :D Was it the third which sacked constantinople?
Sacrum Romanum Imperium

Yeah, well you know, that's just like, your opinion, man.

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2011, 10:37:26 am »
Nope. It was the 4th. When the filthy venetians sacked Constantinople.

Doges =(

Offline FICO

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2011, 01:20:03 pm »
you'll find it easier to talk about years, not in "crusade numbers", because historians don't actually agree on number of crusades (they disagree what is supposed to be considered as crusade as some were aimed at lands not in holy land and some dissolved on the road, some never reached destination etc etc).

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2011, 02:17:19 pm »

Offline FICO

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2011, 02:34:04 pm »
are we now supposed to lol, lomao, rofl, or what?  :evil:

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2011, 02:44:36 pm »
Off Topic. But that's just a pure rape face.  :lol: