Author Topic: Siege Spawn locations question  (Read 566 times)

Offline Bjorn_Ironsides

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Siege Spawn locations question
« on: August 31, 2011, 06:32:51 pm »
+1
I recently created a Siege Scene called BI Stone Keep (http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=3179), during the creation I followed the guides and posts on this forum and the main MB forums in order to understand what elements must be used to make the map function properly. When placing the attacker and defender spawn locations I placed 32 for attackers (numbered 0-31) and 32 for defenders (numbered 32-63) spread in their respective locations. I have seen and been informed that when the map starts all attackers and defenders are getting grouped up onto only 1 of the possible 32 spawn locations which creates some problems for the defenders specifically.

If other scene creators have come across this issue or know what I did wrong/forgot I would appreciate any help that can be given  :)

Offline Jacko

• Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fffnanguard!
  • Game nicks: Jacko
Re: Siege Spawn locations question
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 06:33:50 pm »
"Native siege code uses a system that you always spawn far away from enemies and close to friendly players.
This system doesn't look at entry point id's at all."

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,153565.msg3692216.html#msg3692216

I just stumbled upon this problem today as well (I've noticed it before but never really cared why it happened).
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 06:35:55 pm by Jacko »
Monkeys!

Offline Bjorn_Ironsides

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 07:17:22 pm »
"Native siege code uses a system that you always spawn far away from enemies and close to friendly players.
This system doesn't look at entry point id's at all."

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,153565.msg3692216.html#msg3692216

I just stumbled upon this problem today as well (I've noticed it before but never really cared why it happened).

Right so it seems that indeed the spawn locations i used were "correct" but if the game code is not going to care where it spawns people then what is the point of the locations in the first place? There was a follow up post that described someone just ditching the native code and creating something for their maps which just forced random spawn within the locations given but offered no steps on how to do so.

"For GK Siege, all non-native maps use a correction system that checks if a player is going to spawn at a point out of his team's range and switches it to a random correct entry point. I would have included Native maps, but they're tailored to the system that the correction caused players spawning in the wrong places"

Is this something that you need to use python to edit and change or is this something that is not even handled by the scene code and is dependant on the server?

*edit* I also just found this posted which is reassuring lol

"The siege spawn script is an insane beast that no mortal can understand haha.  There is a thread in the forge that I put up about a bug in it and there is a fix that Beaver made in the same thread to make sure attackers spawn on attacker entry points. (this doesn't seem to work for bots."

and

"Ok its a bit bizarre but the spawn points are given a score based on how far enemies are away, how high the spawn point is, how close it is to friendlies and so forth."

There is some code also added which from what I can read did fix the vast majority of spawn issues, to add it you need to modify "module_mission_templates"

(try_begin),
            (eq, ":player_team", 1), # attacker
            (lt, ":entry_no", 32), # If, for some reason, the player ends up in a defender spawn
            (store_random_in_range, ":entry_no", 32, 64), # Change to a random attacker spawn
           (try_end),

This post seems to contain the most information and work towards a fix - http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,113298.0.html
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 07:31:09 pm by Bjorn_Ironsides »

Offline Jacko

• Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fffnanguard!
  • Game nicks: Jacko
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 08:10:35 pm »
Yes, but I believe the fix is for singleplayer. I have yet to try it, maybe I'll give it a go later this week *shrug*. We discussed  it very briefly in http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,98.60.html.

There are fixes, both Vincenzo and MadocComadrin posted that they use workarounds, we just need to get one ; )
I actually messaged Vincenzo asking about the fix, but he was quite dismissive, maybe someone else will have better luck then me.
Monkeys!

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 08:46:28 pm »
good luck in your efforts, we appreciate it.  god damn this game code/structure is so backwater 3rd world stone age