Author Topic: New Shield Tactic  (Read 1833 times)

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
New Shield Tactic
« on: January 16, 2011, 06:48:26 am »
The kicking animation is the funny cousin of cRPG combat.  It's useful, sometimes, but it's effect is largely dependent on how unexpected it is because most often it's too pointless to consider in a fight.  To remedy this, and to give a little boost to 1-handers, I propose somebody more intelligent than me figure out a new shield-bump animation.  For those of you that haven't heard about this tactic before: soldiers in the time before would use their shields to smack enemy really hard to disorient them and scramble their footing.  Small shields have a tough time doing this because much of the force in such swings comes from a shield's forward momentum being augmented by the relatively weak force of a backhanded swing.  The Romans, being the smart cookies that we all know and love, attached a big metal stud to the centre of their shields to add more force and a focal point to their shield smashes (http://historyshop.piratemerch.com/images/roman_shield_801068.jpg).  Consequently, a shield-shove animation may be good for 1-handers who have a high enough shield skill.  This would keep shield shoving for dedicated 1-handers and help differentiate the value of a 1h+shield vs a 2h who has a small shield for arrows.

Some quick reasons to consider, discuss, and debate:
- historical accuracy isn't the primary goal of cRPG but it's worth noting
- 1handers need a bit of a boost:
-- they have the slowest average reaction time
-- they carry a lot of weight
-- always need to use two weapon slots when other melee classes only need one
- kicking when you've got a shield is silly

Offline Dom.Miguel

• Knight
  • Renown: 33
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
  • Audaces Fortuna Juvat
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguards
  • Game nicks: Dom_Miguel, Telescopica, Jotunn and many others...
  • IRC nick: Dom.Miguel
Re: New Shield Tactic
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 07:23:25 am »
+1 bumping 2 handers
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you Khorin

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 08:29:20 am »
I dont think 1h need a boost so it should be exactly same as a normal kick. would be awesome, but I doubt anyone will make that animation.

Offline KyndridOLD

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Not retreat, attacking in the other direction.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Kyndrid
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 11:30:54 am »
If it functioned the same, but had a wider area if using a shield [the size of the shield?] that would be perfect.  As a shield/spear user... this would be awesome.
"so when the devil wants to dance with you, you better say never
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

because the dance with the devil might last you forever"

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 12:02:10 pm »
I dont think 1h shielders need a boost. A skilled 1h shielder gives me a really tough time now, I find that hey are harder to block because their weapons are small and the attack direction is therefore harder to spot.

Offline Vygar

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vygar_PxC, Divinicus_PxC, Tegashi_PxC
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 12:23:11 pm »
I feel that 1h/Shield users could use some love.  They are at a disadvantage in terms of reach and speed when compared to Pole/2h.  Hell, these weapons have 2 counters to the shield in the form of Damage bonus to Shield and Crushthrough, the later of which should be removed from crpg in my opinion. Being able to slam the shield would be nice.

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 12:37:43 pm »
yeah 1h animations hardest to block imo, and vs shield you have to block them alot to break a shield when you only have a sword. not complaining just sayin ;)

Offline Vygar

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vygar_PxC, Divinicus_PxC, Tegashi_PxC
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 01:51:43 pm »
If it functioned the same, but had a wider area if using a shield [the size of the shield?] that would be perfect.  As a shield/spear user... this would be awesome.

Couldn't agree more especially considering that Spear with Shield has only a single attack direction.

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 07:21:58 pm »
Bear in mind that the tactic would be very much situation specific and likely just a more useful version of a kick.  I forgot to add in my initial list that this could be the saving animation of spearmen/hoplites who find all their attacks blocked by one block direction.  It's not a big boost for the class, certainly, but it could make the shield skill into something more important than a necessary evil.