Author Topic: Warping  (Read 1428 times)

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
Warping
« on: December 03, 2012, 11:07:32 pm »
+9
I think that some people are interpreting the warping that is occurring on the servers as an animation stutter. While some do have video issues, this is not that. Here are the conditions you may see:

Animations are fluid.
Ping stays steady.
Frame Rate stays steady.

Your screen will suddenly have what appears to be freezes, and then suddenly your avatar will be in a different position.
You experience "skating", where your avatar or horse is simply sliding around the map, even after you cease input.

This used to occur, but almost always only on a horse like the Arabian that was really really fast. It is though you are moving faster than the server and client can update each other.

That is now happening on all of the horses and also sometimes while infantry.

I ran a -t ping to 74.91.113.155 in addition to a google ping as a control. Neither one has spikes, nor packet loss during this time frame.

My CPU and GPU are happy as larks. I've got 16GB of RAM and 4 GB of video memory.

Could you look at the peak outbound traffic on the servers? It feels less like packet loss and more like a buffer delay. (Where instead of suddenly going from point A to point B, things "speed up" until it catches up.) Its difficult to tell though.

I'm a professional troubleshooter and proficient in SQL server. If you would like me to perform some tests with you, I am adequately skilled to provide technical feedback.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline TomMyyY

• Earl
  • Renown: 365
  • Infamy: 17
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_TomMyyY
Re: Warping
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 11:58:42 pm »
This skating has been happening to me (and others I spoke to) for the last few weeks/maybe months, not just since the WSE2 thing started.

You're right in that it always used to happen on horses every now and then, but I'm sure there has been a heavy increase in this skating as infantry lately.

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 01:03:53 am »
+1
Okay, so I thought that perhaps the size of the map influenced whether this happened or not, and it does seem to do that, though not due to the map size per se.

I've been watching the 2 threads for I/O and the send is fairly steady at 1.5 kBps. Looks good.

The receive thread looks like a sine wave though. At the beginning and end of a round, it starts around 2 kBps, give or take 500 Bps. It will then begin to climb to anywhere from 8-10 kBPS until half of the players are dead, then decline again. How quickly it climbs and how high seems to depend upon engagement. The more people on the server, and the faster they engage, the quicker and higher this figure climbs.
Now I'm guessing that this makes sense, but I can reliably tell you when half the population of the server is dead; and when the round ends, I can tell you approximately how many of the winning team survived by the peak and valley of the traffic.

So how this plays out in game:

A large map is actually better for this issue. The reason being is that you have such varied speed between cavalry and athletics and armor, that the engagement begins as a trickle, peaks when about half the players die, and trickles off until round end as there are fewer engagements. With this trickle effect, you only build up to around 10-11 kBps, even with 80+ on the server.

A smaller map it plays out differently. Rather than the engagements being spread out, everyone rapidly is in combat. This means that instead of a trickle of information, suddenly there is a flood as everyone is engaged at once. That is when I noticed this issue the most. The highest peak I saw was over 16 kBps, and I suspect that somewhere between 11 and 16 kBps is where things suddenly begin to choke and we experience this issue.

I supposed I could load up The Arena as that is the smallest map that I know of, and should be more pronounced than any other.

Let me know what you think of the theory and if there is anything that I can look at for you.

"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ragnar_Ulfson

• Count
  • Renown: 185
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ulfson
  • IRC nick: Ulfson
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 05:50:10 am »
Skating happens to me all the time with WSE2, I've had to dis enable WSE2 because of it.

Offline To Kill A Dead Horse

• Count
  • Renown: 173
  • Infamy: 34
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • May be insane
    • View Profile
  • Faction: (Former) The Black Guard, (Current) Swiss AoW
  • Game nicks: To_Kill_A_Dead_Horse, GaugofWar
  • IRC nick: TKADH
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 06:17:58 am »
Im just want to say that having over 10 riding and a champion courser did not help this problem and it has been around for quite awhile.
Quote from: Baggy
If your going to be staring at your characters ass in game all day it might as well be a female one.
[21:08:47] Downloading Textures/this_is_how_children_see_gnjus_norm.dds

Offline matt2507

• King
  • Renown: 1013
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • It is when making anything that we become anyone.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Raylin The_Village_Idiot Mohamed_Ali
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 02:18:06 pm »
I managed to play without this problem by reducing the "Max Frame-rate"
A good compromise is between 80-110 on my config.

Warband has Unlike other games, seems to "claim" extra fps if the adjustment is too high.
Really strange.

Hoping it helps some  :wink:

No donkeys were harmed in the making of this gif.

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 04:06:22 pm »
Im just want to say that having over 10 riding and a champion courser did not help this problem and it has been around for quite awhile.

That would only exacerbate the issue and previously was the way to PRODUCE the issue.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 07:19:29 pm »
+1
Experiencing this skating/warping thing since WSE2. My ping looks stable so doesn't look like that's the cause... not sure

Basically all the movement I do somehow freezes (just the movement, not the entire screen!) and then it speeds up for a second or two. Looks like lag but doesn't feel like lag.

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 03:38:22 am »
Experiencing this skating/warping thing since WSE2. My ping looks stable so doesn't look like that's the cause... not sure

Basically all the movement I do somehow freezes (just the movement, not the entire screen!) and then it speeds up for a second or two. Looks like lag but doesn't feel like lag.

Okay, so you see the speed up thing too? That's why I brought up the possibility of buffering due to I/O being pounded (somewhere).