Author Topic: Banners  (Read 2180 times)

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
Banners
« on: December 03, 2012, 12:30:17 am »
Say, I would like to have banners ON for enemies, and OFF for friendlies. Often when a single enemy is in your team scrum, you cant tell who doesn't have a banner. I would prefer to attack the guy with one, because it is far more obvious.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Moncho

• King
  • Renown: 1127
  • Infamy: 221
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Moncho, Some_Random_STF, Some_Random_Troll
Re: Banners
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 12:34:05 am »
+8
On the long run, it might help. However, it would cause a lot of confusion when first implemented, and be a huge excuse for "accidental" teamhits.
Issues: That enemy waiting to ambush you just behind that low wall? Well, he is useless now. And a few other things (archery in the distance would be a bit easier, etc. Not sure if I like it
Also, can you see banners through the fog? Cannot remember atm, but if you can, even if just at a slightly bigger distance than you can see players, it would be a big advantage

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 12:53:44 am »
+4
Amusingly enough Fog is entirely eliminated for sniping purposes if you toggle on the option that outlines banners in Green.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 03:13:40 am »
On the long run, it might help. However, it would cause a lot of confusion when first implemented, and be a huge excuse for "accidental" teamhits.
Issues: That enemy waiting to ambush you just behind that low wall? Well, he is useless now. And a few other things (archery in the distance would be a bit easier, etc. Not sure if I like it
Also, can you see banners through the fog? Cannot remember atm, but if you can, even if just at a slightly bigger distance than you can see players, it would be a big advantage
You can choose banner settings with WSE now. You can have banners for friendlies only, no banners or banners for all. The only thing you can't have is banner for enemies only.

How would his lead to problems? Sure, it might be confusing for you when you first change to it, but you have to manually change it. It's not something that would suddenly applied to everyone.

Amusingly enough Fog is entirely eliminated for sniping purposes if you toggle on the option that outlines banners in Green.
Even with the red and green outlines, fog and distance will make you unsure wether it's a friendly or not. Been both HC and arbalester and fighting in fog with it on, the red and green are similar when you are distant.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 04:15:50 am »
+1

Yes, I can see how that might be an issue for the "strategic hiders" aka "leechers".  :lol:

But anyhow, you can already turn on enemy banners. You just can't turn off Friendly. So your point is already moot.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 08:02:40 am »
+14
 :o
It's kinda sad that enemy's banner can be visible now. I always thought you should notice enemy stalking behind you by seeing himself, not seeing his banner from over 9000 meters away...
- it makes disguise equipment useless
- it makes people able to see ambushing enemy behind the walls and obtacles
- it allows people to recognize what clan their enemy belongs to, before even killing him/dying of his hand.

I honestly can't see any advantages of this feature  :|
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 08:06:52 am by Macropus »

Offline Moncho

• King
  • Renown: 1127
  • Infamy: 221
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Moncho, Some_Random_STF, Some_Random_Troll
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 09:02:29 am »
+3
Yes, I can see how that might be an issue for the "strategic hiders" aka "leechers".  :lol:

But anyhow, you can already turn on enemy banners. You just can't turn off Friendly. So your point is already moot.

I was not meaning leechers, but people who like to stand right around a corner of a low wall and ambush, using animations to have your head below the level, but in this case your banner would still be visible.
And I did not know about that option, hence the question in my last sentence. Have not played with the new client.

Offline Elmuri

• Marshall
  • Renown: 817
  • Infamy: 91
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Elmuri and co
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 10:09:16 am »
+5
It's kinda sad that enemy's banner can be visible now. I always thought you should notice enemy stalking behind you by seeing himself, not seeing his banner from over 9000 meters away...
- it allows people to recognize what clan their enemy belongs to, before even killing him/dying of his hand.

+1, I would like to hear why this was added.

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 10:38:01 am »
+1

+1000  :wink:

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 06:08:52 pm »

You can't see the banners behind obstacles unless it is the same height as the player. So except for very low walls, your complaint is unfounded.

At distance you cant tell if someone is ally or enemy. In fact, this makes using enemy banners on WORSE because you can no longer discern friend or foe past a short range. (Which is why being able to turn off Friendly banners is necessary)

As for recognizing the enemy clan? I see zero problem with that. You think in real battles standards were only visible to your allies?  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 06:12:32 pm by Rumblood »

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 07:09:33 pm »
+1
Most of the obtacles you can hide in are not high (bushes, ruins, embrasures on the walls and such), so it is really an issue, especially for xbowers who always need to hide somewhere.

Yes it's hard to recognize who's there if it's far away, but still you see SOMEONE is there, and you are already aware..

I mean, such modes that make bushes invisible and so on are considered illegal by most players, but this thing is pretty much the same. You can see enemies despite of their disquise or hiding skills (if such skills even exist  :))... I'm not saying it makes game a lot worse, but I don't think it makes it better in any way either.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 07:18:35 pm by Macropus »