Author Topic: Persian Armor: Safavid Period (Shia Islamic)  (Read 14610 times)

Offline Safavid

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
  • "The Sultan's own...Sipahi of The Sublime Porte"
    • View Profile
    • The Islamic Union
  • Faction: The Turks (Kapikulu)
  • Game nicks: Kapikulu_Safavid
Persian Armor: Safavid Period (Shia Islamic)
« on: June 19, 2011, 08:24:33 am »
Here is the Safavid Persian (Iranian) Armor from the Islamic Period of Persia (Iran).  The name of this armor is called "The Four Mirrors" or "Chahar Ayneh". 
(click to show/hide)
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/Nephtys/Oriental%20Warriors/Persian_Armour.jpg Similar armor was also adopted by Azeri Turks (Turkified Persians) as well as Ottoman Turks, and Mughal Indians.  Both the Ottoman and Mughal courts spoke Persian, however the common folk spoke mostly either Turkish or Indian. 

VIDEO OF PERSIAN STYLE ARMOR USED BY MUGHALS OF INDIA:

1) http://youtu.be/0okF6YByjkU (one on one combat)

2) http://youtu.be/XqmAC5asrLU (Muslim Mughals vs. Indian Hindus)

« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 08:44:41 am by Safavid »
"Nasrun minallahi ve fethun garib. Ve bessiril Muminin!"
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Other forum members should not be able to mute somebody by + or -.  That is the worst policy ever seen on a forum.  Look at me...muted due to biggotry for years!

Offline BlackMilk

• Polearm Lover
  • Earl
  • Renown: 370
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: el_Banduri
Re: Persian Armor: Safavid Period (Shia Islamic)
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 08:32:01 am »
Why would anybody wear this, it looks gay.

Offline Razzer

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 92
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Intermezzo
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 01:21:24 pm »
Why would anybody wear this, it looks gay.
+1

Offline Wildling

• Knight
  • Renown: 47
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 05:33:11 pm »
i like that 1+. Good for muslim themed players, especially that helmet.

Offline Safavid

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • The Islamic Union
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 08:43:49 pm »
It is the best looking armor I have seen, it is better than the clunky Euro armor that you could move at 1 mile an hour.  With this armor you get better protection and faster movement.  This armor was used for thousands of years and did not need to be changed due to it's strength and flexibility. 

It was the most refined armor of it's time, made from light weight damascene steel chain mail and plates.  It is the same kind of metal used for making swords that could cut through plate armor.  The process was similar to that of Japanese swords. 

BTW, the spike on the helmet was used as a last resort weapon and came in handy.  There are variations of the greaves where they also have spikes on them for the same purpose.  Ottoman, Safavid, and Mughal armor were very similar except for regional differences. 

The Russians and Eastern Europeans copied the Persian Armor due to it's effectiveness in combat.  Most of the Euro heavy armor was put aside after the Crusades and the Islamic Armor was adopted along with it's technology...hence bringing in the Renaissance in Europe. 

Other forum members should not be able to mute somebody by + or -.  That is the worst policy ever seen on a forum.  Look at me...muted due to biggotry for years!

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 09:37:23 pm »
It was the most refined armor of it's time, made from light weight damascene steel chain mail and plates.  It is the same kind of metal used for making swords that could cut through plate armor.  The process was similar to that of Japanese swords. 

Oh btw

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reneissance It seems to disagree.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 09:40:50 pm by Siiem »

Offline Tavuk_Bey

• Earl
  • Renown: 409
  • Infamy: 233
  • cRPG Player
  • herrroo, my näym iz bokkkseee änd i'm fukken ugry
    • View Profile
  • Faction: bashibazouk, the official jihad clan
  • Game nicks: tavuk
  • IRC nick: Minister of Shitstorm
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 10:42:21 pm »
It is the best looking armor I have seen, it is better than the clunky Euro armor that you could move at 1 mile an hour.  With this armor you get better protection and faster movement.  This armor was used for thousands of years and did not need to be changed due to it's strength and flexibility. 

It was the most refined armor of it's time..

you sound like an hawker in a touristic bazaar  8-)

roast and roast again until lambs become kebab

Offline Safavid

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • The Islamic Union
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 02:07:22 am »
"Islam's Contribution To Europe's Renaissance

HRH, The Prince of Wales, Islam And The West

. . . we have underestimated the importance of 800 years of Islamic society and culture in Spain between the 8th and 15th centuries. The contribution of Muslim Spain to the preservation of classical learning during the Dark Ages, and to the first flowerings of the Renaissance, has long been recognised. But Islamic Spain was much more than a mere larder where Hellenistic knowledge was kept for later consumption by the emerging modern Western world. Not only did Muslim Spain gather and preserve the intellectual content of ancient Greek and Roman civilisation, it also interpreted and expanded upon that civilisation, and made a vital contribution of its own in so many fields of human endeavour - in science, astronomy, mathematics, algebra (itself an Arabic word), law, history, medicine, pharmacology, optics, agriculture, architecture, theology, music. Averroes and Avenzoor, like their counterparts Avicenna and Rhazes in the East, contributed to the study and practice of medicine in ways from which Europe benefited for centuries afterwards.

Islam nurtured and preserved the quest for learning. In the words of the tradition, 'the ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr'. Cordoba in the 10th century was by far the most civilised city of Europe. We know of lending libraries in Spain at the time King Alfred was making terrible blunders with the culinary arts in this country. It is said that the 400,000 volumes in its ruler's library amounted to more books than all the libraries of the rest of Europe put together. That was made possible because the Muslim world acquired from China the skill of making paper more than 400 years before the rest of non-Muslim Europe. Many of the traits on which modern Europe prides itself came to it from Muslim Spain. Diplomacy, free trade, open borders, the techniques of academic research, of anthropology, etiquette, fashion, various types of medicine, hospitals, all came from this great city of cities.

Medieval Islam was a religion of remarkable tolerance for its time, allowing Jews and Christians the right to practise their inherited beliefs, and setting an example which was not, unfortunately, copied for many centuries in the West. The surprise, ladies and gentlemen, is the extent to which Islam has been a part of Europe for so long, first in Spain, then in the Balkans, and the extent to which it has contributed so much towards the civilisation which we all too often think of, wrongly, as entirely Western. Islam is part of our past and our present, in all fields of human endeavour. It has helped to create modern Europe. It is part of our own inheritance, not a thing apart."

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 10:36:57 pm »
I don't think the Prince of Sheep shagia is an authority on european knowledge. However, I can see what he would have in common with Persia.

Offline Lorenzo_of_Iberia

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Peloponnesian League
  • Game nicks: Lorenzo_of_Numidia , PL_Hoplitai_Lorenzo
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 01:19:23 pm »
The east was a lot more technologically advanced than europe for the majority of medieval times, better craftsmanship (including weaponary), better medicine, better science, arguably better architecture. Europeans were living in their own filth while the east had relatively sanitary towns.
Your local Jav Cav

Looking for like Minded Hoplites? Look no further - http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,22631.0.html

Offline Astinus

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Armata Brancaleone
  • Game nicks: AB_Astinus
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 01:27:02 pm »
make model, textures and lod then it might be taken into consideration

Offline Safavid

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • The Islamic Union
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 03:53:44 am »
Alas, you have found my weakness...I don't know how to make the models.  However, if you do know how to make them, please volunteer! :) I can help with logistical issues if anybody has questions in regards to designs, culture, history, material etc.

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 08:15:39 am »

No sword no matter how its made can cut through plate armor, FUCK OFF

Most of the Euro heavy armor was put aside after the Crusades and the Islamic Armor was adopted along with it's technology...hence bringing in the Renaissance in

Thats plain bullshit, armor in Europe kept going heavier and heavier.

**Warning*** Link free of bullshit and may contradict some of the views expressed in the original post, but since its bullshit anyways, noone care http://web.ceu.hu/medstud/manual/SRM/weapons.htm ***Warning***
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 08:27:48 am by Bobthehero »
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline Loar Avel

• Knight
  • Renown: 58
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Pecores_Lady_Marlyse
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 08:49:15 am »
you explain it wrong, show a video instead =p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvCvOC2VwDc

don't we already have à lot of armor looking like the one show  by Safavid?
The world is split in two categorie.
The one digging, and the one with the loaded crossbow.

But never forget that the one digging, got a big shovel.

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 08:57:06 am »
Thats an awesome video :D

The closest is the Mamluke mail which is more Arabian than Turkish/Persian.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 08:58:32 am by Bobthehero »
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art