Author Topic: Sekiro - Shadows Die Twice  (Read 5671 times)

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Sekiro - Shadows Die Twice
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2019, 07:09:39 pm »
Also the hitboxes/the way attacks heat-seek onto you makes it really hard to judge which/when attacks can just be dodged instead of parried.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2019, 07:35:22 pm »
That said -- triple post, problem, pussies? -- I am enjoying this a great deal more than I did the Dark Souls games. Never could get into those. The combat wasn't even aesthetically pleasing with the constant stupid rolling in mud. Sekiro's combat looks great, like actual sword-fighting, and feels good. The setting is also ten times more interesting, and from what Vibe said the story isn't just told via reading item descriptions. It's still a little, uh, Japanese (i.e., weird both in structure and content)..... but whatever. Seems like a good game.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2019, 07:54:32 pm »
What about weapons and gear? I asked a friend who was playing it, and besides new tools for the prosthetic arm he got nothing.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2019, 08:14:45 pm »
What about weapons and gear? I asked a friend who was playing it, and besides new tools for the prosthetic arm he got nothing.

There is no gear or weapons, just upgrades for prosthetic arms and skills you can purchase, but you can't make some crazy builds in this game or cheese content by overleveling like the frauds of DS did, gotta play like an honest man.

Also the hitboxes/the way attacks heat-seek onto you makes it really hard to judge which/when attacks can just be dodged instead of parried.

Must-dodge attacks always have the red kanji, other than that you shouldn't really be dodging too much ala Dark Souls.

Just started and the targeting system is making me want to delete the game from my hard drive when fighting more than 1-2 people.

Yeah this is one gripe I have with this game, it is much harder to 1vMany compared to Dark Souls. In Dark Souls the answer to all attacks was just roll, here it's either parry, jump, dodge, mikiri counter, ... and when there's two non-chump enemies throwing different attacks at you, it becomes almost impossible. Luckily the 1vMany is extremelly rare, it's all about manuevering, stealth and taking them out 1 by 1 for trash mobs.

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2019, 08:18:57 pm »
Well that's a shame :/ I liked switching up weaponry and finding new gear to min-max without fatrolling.

I was planning to wait until they release DLC for more content anyway, but that sure does disappoint me.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2019, 10:58:01 pm »
Well that's a shame :/ I liked switching up weaponry and finding new gear to min-max without fatrolling.

I was planning to wait until they release DLC for more content anyway, but that sure does disappoint me.

Yeah it's a shame that Sekiro is more "on rails" and there's not much build diversity and fuckery with weird builds, I thought I'd miss that as well but imo the game is still very worth it. Because it's limited to one weapon they could make a better combat system that I found really enjoyable, both to play and visually.

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2019, 11:43:09 pm »
+1
They should unmute Gravoth so he can post in his thread.
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2019, 12:04:04 am »
God the controls can be so fucking unresponsive/unintuitive sometimes, and I have no idea why. Sometimes things work, other times the game just ignores the key press or performs it 2 seconds late. And I keep dying to the shinobi hunter because for some reason the timing of the mikiri counter never works despite being able to pull it off 200 times in a row against the undead trainer. AND the checkpoint for this fight is super obnoxious.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2019, 12:14:21 am »
+1
Ok nevermind the shinobi hunter was easy once I stopped trying to move at all and just held down m2 except when he thrusted. My mikiri was getting fucked by sideways movement at the same time, I guess. It's just really hard to not dodge/side step at all, feels intuitive, but I guess that's counter-productive against almost all attacks.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2019, 12:42:42 am »
You only need to side/back dodge grabs really. Mikiri comes out only if you do neutral/no direction dodge, or maybe even forward dodge.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2019, 12:31:20 pm »
I still have no idea what I can animation cancel to block instead because the feedback is so poor. Sometimes it lets me cancel to block, sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes it takes ten years to move after an ability/attack and sometimes it doesn't.

And half the time double jump + ledge hang doesn't work. I also have no idea why. The controls just seem super clumsy and unresponsive at times for no reason. The combat is frustrating for all the wrong reasons. Keep getting hit when it makes no sense or because the game mechanics are retarded. And don't get me started on the camera.

Like fighting this huge "the drunk" guy in the courtyard where you first have to kill six mooks highlights everything that's bad about the game. Just about luck whether the game decides to screw you over with bad mechanics and make you get hit with no way to avoid it or not. Seriously awful 1vMany experience.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 12:56:01 pm by Xant »
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2019, 01:01:02 pm »
And now I beat the fatty easily because the mooks decided to be super easy to kill. Easily except for when I lost a life because the auto-target decides to switch off after you take one life from the boss and then I parried in the wrong direction (despite looking straight at the boss). I don't know if it's an issue with controllers too, but on PC both WASD and the mouse control where you're looking, which is fucking retarded and makes fighting multiple people even harder.

I just don't understand why they couldn't fix some simple issues with the UI and controls, those things don't feel modern at all. I don't feel in control of my character because of how clunky everything is. A good example is trying to run of roofs, your character just goes off the edges like a retard all the time, especially on WASD since you cant control speed either.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2019, 01:53:56 pm »
WHY IS THE RESURRECT/DIE BUTTON FUCKING REVERSED? LEFT CLICK TO RESURRECT YET ITS ON THE RIGHT ON THE SCREEN AND WHY THE FUCK IS IT IN THE MOUSE ANYWAY SO YOU CAN MISCLICK JESUS CHRSIT

And why do none of these i-frames make any sense? I clearly jump/dodge a grab on my screen and yet I still teleport into someone's hands

GREAT GAME
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 01:57:16 pm by Xant »
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2019, 01:59:22 pm »
 =J(IAF=D)s kogf0ok pggf H

WHO DESIGNED THESE COIN PURSES?

WHAT???

The game doesnt tell you how they work and when you use them THEY DISAPPEAR? WTF? The design choices in this game are mind baffling.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2019, 02:29:56 pm »
With that out the way, I wish there was some more direction to the story. I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing right now. There are like six different paths I could take, but some are clearly more optimal than others when it comes to unlocking stuff.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.