Author Topic: How to Protect Yourself from Cav W/O Changing your Build  (Read 3001 times)

Offline AllTimeFail

• Knight
  • Renown: 38
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
  • WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGHHHH
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Warboss Caramel's Boyz
  • Game nicks: Warboss_Caramel, Sir_Caramel_Macchiato, Lady_White_Mocha,
How to Protect Yourself from Cav W/O Changing your Build
« on: June 16, 2017, 04:37:07 am »
+11
I decided to break from years of tradition and write an actually serious guide. If we end up getting some new people, they might benefit from something other than 4 year old shit-posting and info that's outdated by six years.
I am Caramel Macchiato, and over the years I developed an effective anti-cav build. Then I forgot that build, and realized I was over-complicating things. -Anyone- can be an effective anti-cav if the team balance demands it, as long as they put in a little practice. No change in build is needed, but you will need to spend time learning some timing. The point of this guide is to show how easy it is to augment your current equipment set-up so that you can always be ready to take on cav if they become to many. Then. after the threat is over, you can go back to using the gear you always use. Really, all you're doing is adding 1-2 items to your set-up.

So, here's the big tip. When it comes to anti-cavving, the less WPF you having in polearm the better. The reason for this is that your spear will hang in the air for a long, long, ass time. And the entire time its hanging there, it can damage whatever it hits. That means if you throw it too early you might still kill some dumbass newbie cav who decides to rush you thinking you shot your wad early. It also means you sometimes get lucky glance stops or damage hits on cav passing by.

The obvious upside of this is that you don't need to change your build at all. Just toss a spear on your back and if you're getting gang banged by cav, stick your spear out at whoever comes your way. You can even throw a practice shield on for a special panic block if you fuck up (talking to you 2-handers).

The downside is of course that not everyone is a dumb newb who will fall for you sticking your spear out in the air hoping they'll run into it. This is where the practice comes in. If you're going to put no points into polearm (and why should you unless that's your primary focus), then you need to become knowledgeable of how long it takes for you to thrust your spear and how long it will stay thrusted. Basically, you need to spend a few hours getting wrecked by all the cav dicks out there until you get good enough where at least half of them learn to avoid you by your armor. At that point, you're helping the cause of cutting down on the cav pop. So you did your duty. If you wanna get good enough to kill Sauce (Tiny Glancer) every time he comes at you, then that's extra work you can put in for your country and everyone would love you for it all the more.

I can tell you that with practice, you can kill any cav with 0 wpf and a war spear. Because in the end its your skill vs their skill. And if everyone just grabbed a spear, we could end the cav plague every time it popped up.

Regarding gear, you're not going to want a spear that you cant sheath. Cav come suddenly and without warning if they think your a threat. They want to remove you so they can kill freely. If they think you're vulnerable even for a second, they'll get you good. There's no time to chuckle fuck around looking for your pike on the ground. I like to have my MW warspear with me any time there are a couple cav on. Its got a good length and good damage. Its not so long that I have to overthink where the cav is gonna be (and also so it won't get easily blocked by enemies I don't want to engage) but not so short that the cav will be in my face either. I let the cav come in close so he has to commit and then either he dies or is stopped or I die (or block or dodge).

And that's pretty much it.

So for the TLDR:
When map is overpopped with cav
1. Do not change your build.
2. Put a spear on your back.
2.a. (optional) put a practice shield on your back
3. Stab horses when they attack you.
4. Go back to primary weapon until another horse attacks.
5. When threat is over, drop the spear.

I hope this info helps someone. I know it'll be a no-brainer to most of the vets, but a lot of new people take a while to get how WPF works. Anyway, happy hunting.
ECONOMYGOBBLINGROWEROFGOODS 2016 NEVER FORGET

Offline AllTimeFail

• Knight
  • Renown: 38
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
  • WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGHHHH
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Warboss Caramel's Boyz
  • Game nicks: Warboss_Caramel, Sir_Caramel_Macchiato, Lady_White_Mocha,
Re: How to Protect Yourself from Cav W/O Changing your Build
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 04:38:29 am »
+2
I just realized there's a guide section now. FUCK
ECONOMYGOBBLINGROWEROFGOODS 2016 NEVER FORGET

Offline chesterotab

• Game Admin (trial)
  • Renown: 634
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 05:40:22 am »
+3
should probably recommend a fauchard over a war spear, imo. heavy lance is pretty long

▲ ▲
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Ikarus

• King
  • Renown: 1470
  • Infamy: 121
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Your favourite Schnitzel
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Ikarooz, CrossBowbimbo
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 11:51:24 am »
lance/spear/pike + awareness/an eye on your surroundings is the deadliest combination against cav

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1488
  • Infamy: 457
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: King James IV, John IV, Temujin of the Wolves, William III
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 01:20:56 pm »
Well thought out guide. Definitely tough for new players to avoid getting lanced into oblivion.

I carry a xbow and steel bolts which helps. Making a shot on a cav coming right at you isn't too hard and you get good damage due to their speed/direction.

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 04:17:37 pm »
+4
Overall a good guide, but it could really use a disclaimer at the top that simply says "Have at least an ounce of situational awareness." That is easily the most important thing to practice and you'd be surprised how many people still don't really have it. Since cav fly at you like stealth bombers with their super-quiet hooves, you really just need to know the map layout, and have a good understanding of where the majority of each team is at every moment. Being able to constantly picture the entire battlefield is the only skill you really need to successfully avoid getting lanced in the back by cav repeatedly. Once you've become a master of detecting cav, then you can follow this guide to great success. Also, the longer the polearm the better, so I'd definitely add Chester's suggestion of using the fauchard. For instance I typically use a battlefork and needless to say while it does rear cav, it isn't by any means a "free win."

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1488
  • Infamy: 457
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: King James IV, John IV, Temujin of the Wolves, William III
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 06:11:41 pm »
+1
Yeah using the ~ key is very important

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 06:21:04 pm »
+1
Make sure to add that if you have 3-5 cav running a train on you your screwed regardless.
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 06:39:13 pm »
+1
Yeah using the ~ key is very important

It can definitely help, however I was talking about reading the situation and just knowing what angles cav are likely to attack from based on the information you do know (map layout, positions of enemies/allies, where cav attacked from previously during the same round/previous rounds/previous games, etc.), all while keeping your attention focused on the more immediate threats right in front of you... i.e. you aren't going to hit ~ while you're in a large fight and need to be blocking/attacking, this is where using something called a brain comes into play. I actually rarely, if ever, used ~ since spinning the camera around got me motion sick too easily.  :D

It should be noted that you can also use your situational awareness to simply put yourself in an advantageous position without hard-committing to anything. For example, if you know that the cav will likely be hitting you from your left flank, but maybe you don't know when exactly they will strike, then try and position yourself so that you are simultaneously facing the infantry threat in front of you as well as the direction where the cav will be coming from (instead of only being prepared to deal with the infantry), so that way you can actually see them long before they hit you, and react accordingly. A "how to read the battlefield/situational awareness guide for beginners" is probably in order, but that sounds like a lotta work (especially since we all know new crpg players are a myth  :wink:).
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 06:45:07 pm by Jona »

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline GOBBLINKINGREATLEADER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 515
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Daruvian, GOBBLINKINGGREATLEADER
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2017, 03:27:50 am »
+4
can confirm the trick to nailing cav nerds such as myself is convincing us you're not paying any attention to us when you damn well are focused on us, and then rearing us. Caramel has mastered this technique.

Offline Pawiu

• Count
  • Renown: 258
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
  • RUN, FUCKING RUN
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Polearm for life
  • Game nicks: Pawiu
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2017, 03:36:45 am »
+4
I hope this info helps someone. I know it'll be a no-brainer to most of the vets, but a lot of new people take a while to get how WPF works. Anyway, happy hunting.
XD

Offline Uther Pendragon

• King
  • Renown: 1253
  • Infamy: 133
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • EX Head of EU and NA admin teams
    • View Profile
    • Strategus Guide
  • Faction: Stromgarde
  • Game nicks: Uthyr Pendraeg, Uthyr, mr fucking dtv hero admin, Stromgarde_Uthyr_Pendraeg
  • IRC nick: Something along those lines above
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2017, 05:09:32 pm »
+3
Nemo prudens punit, quia peccatum est, sed ne peccetur.
I (used to) manage character issues, reverting, restoring and fixing related mistakes and some other stuff. Feel free to message if you encounter a problem.
He's not the hero DTV deserves but he's the one they need.

Offline McKli_PL

• Count
  • Renown: 294
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: South_the_grey, HeDdar_the_grey, Wazonowej_the_grey
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2017, 01:15:23 am »
+6
@up
Harpags new golden cd-keys :mrgreen:

Offline Silveredge

• Count
  • Renown: 190
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Silveredge
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 02:44:40 am »
Honestly I think all of this is moot.  If you're making suggestions to new players on how to survive vs. cav... I think the number one thing you can tell them is get a down block ready.  It's hard for them to time attacks in ground combat and now you want them to attack a high speed moving horse.  With couch being broken, new players who don't know: just need to know that a lancer cav can only thrust.  So they just need to block down.  The same thing applies if it's a non-lancer, you just need to block their telegraphed attack that's being held up.  All while just moving away from the direction their going or juke them, so they cant knock you down just before their attack hits(therefore bypassing your block).  Many eons ago when I was new, I found cav so frustrating, and then I realized that all you have to do is block their attack.  When you become more of an advanced player, and can see some of the little delays and counter measures people are doing to counter each other, then you should be comfortable with attacking cav.  Eventually you'll be like veterans that cav will avoid like the plague until they kill off everyone else, unless your back is turned of course.

Just block.
Get the basics down, and watch how others deal with cav, and start to learn.  While staying alive.

Offline Thryn

• Meme Artisan
  • Game Admin (trial)
  • Renown: 1177
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook
  • buff 2h tbh
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Confederacy
  • Game nicks: Thryn
  • IRC nick: Black Bastards
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2017, 02:55:00 am »
Honestly I think all of this is moot.  If you're making suggestions to new players on how to survive vs. cav... I think the number one thing you can tell them is get a down block ready.  It's hard for them to time attacks in ground combat and now you want them to attack a high speed moving horse.  With couch being broken, new players who don't know: just need to know that a lancer cav can only thrust.  So they just need to block down.  The same thing applies if it's a non-lancer, you just need to block their telegraphed attack that's being held up.  All while just moving away from the direction their going or juke them, so they cant knock you down just before their attack hits(therefore bypassing your block).  Many eons ago when I was new, I found cav so frustrating, and then I realized that all you have to do is block their attack.  When you become more of an advanced player, and can see some of the little delays and counter measures people are doing to counter each other, then you should be comfortable with attacking cav.  Eventually you'll be like veterans that cav will avoid like the plague until they kill off everyone else, unless your back is turned of course.

Just block.
Get the basics down, and watch how others deal with cav, and start to learn.  While staying alive.

how 2 block couched lance (after its fixed)?

We may not love corrupt government, but we must love our country.