Author Topic: Leave or stay in the EU?  (Read 78514 times)

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Leave or stay in the EU?
« Reply #540 on: June 23, 2016, 11:33:14 am »
Young people in general are voting 'stay'.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #541 on: June 23, 2016, 01:15:34 pm »
The guys who were the only pollsters to get the GE predictions right on the final poll have predicted remain by a landslide.

So fingers crossed!

Offline Angantyr

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: June 23, 2016, 01:22:29 pm »
I was looking through some old Iron Lady pictures and found these great images from the UK’s European Communities referendum in 1975:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: June 23, 2016, 07:06:54 pm »
Honestly if they do feel they don't want a union with a set of powers that makes sense (i.e. monetary and fiscal, not only one of them), just GTFO. In thirty years the bulk of this idiocy will be residing in the graveyard anyway.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: June 23, 2016, 07:40:01 pm »
Funnily enough it's largely a split vote judging by some of the polls that have come out. A lot of the older generation, middle aged and up want out. A lot of the younger generation want in. Greedy bastards basically want to fuck things up then die.

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: June 23, 2016, 07:47:30 pm »
+2
Funnily enough it's largely a split vote judging by some of the polls that have come out. A lot of the older generation, middle aged and up want out. A lot of the younger generation want in. Greedy bastards basically want to fuck things up then die.

They do it for their children.

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #546 on: June 23, 2016, 07:54:50 pm »
+2
Yes assuming leaving would fuck things up  :rolleyes: (dont go down the route of "everyone who doesn't see it my way is a moron"

my experience is the polar opposite to Hesky O.o I have actually yet to meet anyone who said they are voting remain, everyone ive spoken to said they were voting out. (young and old) (which will cause accusations of RIGGED!!!!?!?! by both sides"

I expect the vote to be very close (like scotland) and be a remain vote because voting to change is much harder than voting for the same. I would take the whole "young people want this" with a pinch of salt, what you probably mean is University students in general want to remain which pretty much doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things because most of them would vote labour/liberal and look how that turned out.

As for polling i wouldn't bet a quid on what they say after the last few years :D

The real interesting stuff starts on friday, If we vote to leave DC will probably be under a ton of pressure to quit and we may end up with another General Election. If we vote to remain i expect a large swell in support of parties like Ukip (similar to the SNP vote skyrocketing) when people start dividing themselves more on pro-anti EU than by party politics for the next months/years.

The worst part of this whole thing is that we found out that a good 80% of adults literally cannot understand arguments and debates. It has probably always been this way but most people hold their opinion and just think the other side are retarded morons.

I listen to both sides and vote what i think in the end, I don't think the other side are idiots or wrong to vote how they vote, Both sides use retarded arguments thats for sure :p

BUT!!!! Whoever wins George Osborne loses, That guy has pretty much committed political suicide with his tactics this referendum

Meanwhile their children are voting to stay

again i know lots and lots of under 30s voting to leave. The problem is we all live in our own bubbles which give us the impression that most think like that, (and twitter, god damn twitter literally is the worst)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 08:00:39 pm by Osiris »
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2014
  • Infamy: 1538
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: June 23, 2016, 08:04:04 pm »
From what I gather, people in big cities want to stay. Villages and smaller towns want to make Dixieland great again.

Offline Angantyr

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: June 23, 2016, 08:12:17 pm »
There are pros and cons about both options (and a lot uncertainty) and despite not being British and having no vote I am ambivalent myself. The result of your referendum is of major importance to Danish policies towards the EU, as they have been in the past. Though maybe the most optimal choice would be for Britain to stay and help reform the institution from within.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: June 23, 2016, 08:48:27 pm »
From what I gather, people in big cities want to stay. Villages and smaller towns want to make Dixieland great again.

Pretty much. Also a large portion of the working class cause immigrants means less jobs  :rolleyes:

Yes assuming leaving would fuck things up  :rolleyes: (dont go down the route of "everyone who doesn't see it my way is a moron"

my experience is the polar opposite to Hesky O.o I have actually yet to meet anyone who said they are voting remain, everyone ive spoken to said they were voting out. (young and old) (which will cause accusations of RIGGED!!!!?!?! by both sides"

I expect the vote to be very close (like scotland) and be a remain vote because voting to change is much harder than voting for the same. I would take the whole "young people want this" with a pinch of salt, what you probably mean is University students in general want to remain which pretty much doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things because most of them would vote labour/liberal and look how that turned out.

As for polling i wouldn't bet a quid on what they say after the last few years :D

The real interesting stuff starts on friday, If we vote to leave DC will probably be under a ton of pressure to quit and we may end up with another General Election. If we vote to remain i expect a large swell in support of parties like Ukip (similar to the SNP vote skyrocketing) when people start dividing themselves more on pro-anti EU than by party politics for the next months/years.

The worst part of this whole thing is that we found out that a good 80% of adults literally cannot understand arguments and debates. It has probably always been this way but most people hold their opinion and just think the other side are retarded morons.

I listen to both sides and vote what i think in the end, I don't think the other side are idiots or wrong to vote how they vote, Both sides use retarded arguments thats for sure :p

BUT!!!! Whoever wins George Osborne loses, That guy has pretty much committed political suicide with his tactics this referendum

again i know lots and lots of under 30s voting to leave. The problem is we all live in our own bubbles which give us the impression that most think like that, (and twitter, god damn twitter literally is the worst)

The hilarious thing is that on fb for a few days there's been a thing spread by leave campaigners saying that you should take a pen because they only provide pencils so they can change the vote to remain. Leave voters are already banding together to claim it's rigged just in case. Booklies also slashed the odds big time on remain so they clearly think it's going that way.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 08:51:48 pm by Overdriven »

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: June 23, 2016, 09:00:40 pm »
Its pretty usual to gravitate around people of similar opinions.
If you are too different from others, you simply dont stick, or you do and one day it breaks.

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #552 on: June 23, 2016, 10:35:46 pm »
Interesting.

Roughly where you living atm if i may ask?

Around town i see some 'leave' posters as well as 'stay', the social bubbles i've mainly been exposed to in gauging opinion in my area are:

- Facebook: Mainly people i went to school with in oxfordshire, uni mates from Birmingham and housemates from when i worked there. Plus people i've met since in Oxford. Seeing lots of 'stay' and havent noticed any 'leave', i must have a 'type' xD
- My current housemates: 2 local lads, a northern girl, a french guy and his gf. Unanimous 'stay'
- Work: 200-ish employees largely from about the country but with a decent chunk from the oxford area. Havent spoken to *all* of them but have yet to hear a 'leave'.
- Family

currently i live in north west kent and work from charlton/greenwich (south london) to medway and ive seen a few remain flyers but most ive seen is leave
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: June 23, 2016, 11:45:39 pm »
I'm in Brighton. Pretty much a remain stronghold. Especially because of 2 universities being a small city.

Offline Tomas_Miles_again

• Earl
  • Renown: 317
  • Infamy: 28
    • View Profile
  • Faction: None
  • Game nicks: None anymore
« Reply #554 on: June 23, 2016, 11:49:02 pm »
None of my friends my age have said they are going to vote Leave (we're all Londoners or else former students). Only Leave I know is one of my bosses. Some at my workplace were undecided when it came up in conversation. I know there's a lot of apathy in the younger generations too though.