Author Topic: How much PS for Long Spear or Pike?  (Read 4388 times)

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • Renown: 394
  • Infamy: 22
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mallets and his family
How much PS for Long Spear or Pike?
« on: February 21, 2016, 06:35:55 pm »
Have 4 PS (and 150 Polearm)... but seem to keep glancing with my Long Spear!

At the end of my strike, I get a suck, thump sound... instead of the pierce/cut sound.  Is this from too little PS?  Or a lack of knowledge on how to play Long Spear?  I know dude do all kind of crazy drags when they strike.

Offline Screaming Idiot

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: HoC_Screaming_Idiot
Re: How much PS for Long Spear or Pike?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 06:41:15 pm »
+4
You either need to seriously outrange your opponent or use the WIGGLY SPEAR technique. The WIGGLY SPEAR technique is when you start your spear thrust pointing away from your opponent and thdn, while thrusting, drag your thrust towards your opponent. This ensures the initial attempt to thrust at your opponent won't immediately glance and significantly improves your close-range performace (especially with longer polearms like the Pike/Long Spear).
However, you should also invest in a little more PS if you really want to deal with tincans more reliably.

Offline _Tamra_

• Game Admin
  • Renown: 296
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Greys & Druzhina & Vanguard & Mercs & Krems
  • Game nicks: Tamra & Asha Campana
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 07:25:35 pm »
+2
24/21 with a pike. 27/21 on higher level. My opinion.

21/24 - more agility means easier play, especially with a long spear, but usually just supporting aka stun-locking enemies.
I got used to STR pike stabbing cause you actually get a lot of kills after ya figured out how to use it properly.

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Definitely not a fucking forum warrior.

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Offline HungryNBroke

• Earl
  • Renown: 322
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
  • Are you going to eat that?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Hungry_, Stick_, Hellequin_, Peggy_Hill
  • IRC nick: HungryNBroke
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 07:34:41 pm »
+2
Probably  my favorite pike builds is 13/30, but 24/21 or 21/24 will always be good for any none shielder build.

Offline Yeldur

• Global Head Retard
  • Duke
  • Renown: 574
  • Infamy: 189
  • cRPG Player
  • Trained by Nord BlueKnight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen, Burg Krems, Acre
  • Game nicks: ladoea, Yeldur
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 10:57:17 pm »
+1
I remember someone speaking about Hoplite and I agree with his thoughts, with Hoplite/Pikemen you're always going to be slow due to the weight of the gear you carry, which is why I think it's better to go for a higher STR and deal with the agi when it comes to it, right now, most of the speed is decided on armour, so if you wear heavy armour, you're slow, whereas if you have a high STR level and go for medium-light armour you'll be better off as you are now dealing massive damage whilst also agile.
Edit: Found the quote of the guy I meant, he explained it right:

"I think AGI is not needed when playing as a hoplite. We already do low damage, we already are slow, so agility do not help us when we try to do hit-block-hit-block. Because of this, my philosophy is: hitting hard when you can. Due to this, I also do not spend any points into weapon master either. It won't help when you have a low amount in proficiency. Of course my build might be a bit overkill, but I'd advice having high STR to other folks in their builds."

(Keep in mind this is old so some points are incorrect, so ignore the crossed out bits)

I would recommend 27/18 or for a lower level 27/15

27/18 gives you a large advantage but 27/15 is better for a level 35 character, that way you can get 9 PS, 9 IF, 5 WM and 5 ATH, they seem low but you should then have a few left over points which can set you up for the level 36 which will give you 27/18, it's a less complete build but it favours you in the future where you can deal with all the points you've gained.
OR, if you want to, you could trade some IF for more ATH and WM.
So for stats you could go: 9PS, 5 IF, 6 WM and 6 ATH. It more or less completes the build but leaves you vulnerable to hits due to the low level of IF, which is kinda necessary due to the massive amounts of archers/xbows every bloody day.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 11:03:14 pm by Yeldur »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

he,  the god admin.  drink the tea, not ascared to  fight in th  batefield,

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 11:15:06 pm »
Thanks for the tips folks!!!   :D

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 01:58:17 pm »
+2
33-15 longspear never let me down. Of course, the pike is a trash weapon compared to the longspear. Make sure to let Relit know I said that.

Whatever build you use, you're gonna need to get good at kicking (not hard at all, press S+E usually), and get good at wiggly-poking (harder).

Easiest and most effective wiggly-poke technique is in the horizontal plane, but the highest potential and swag factor lies with vertical wiggles. Be careful though, you'll end up puking from the vertigo or stabbing into the ground for a bad cooldown and ensured damage.

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline DKNhz

• Count
  • Renown: 285
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Ilithyia_von_Krems, Frieda_von_Krems, Freya_von_Krems, Frauke_von_Krems
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 04:16:12 pm »
+5
33-15 longspear never let me down. Of course, the pike is a trash weapon compared to the longspear.

I see. Find me when you face with Tamra on the field.

Mallets,

Just do what Tamra says, it's that simple.

QGT
Krems is love. Krems is life.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 07:34:07 pm »
7 or 8, depending on how much maneuverability you need. Both work well.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Relit

• Duke
  • Renown: 574
  • Infamy: 109
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Relit
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2016, 01:36:22 am »
33-15 longspear never let me down. Of course, the pike is a trash weapon compared to the longspear. Make sure to let Relit know I said that.

Fuck you, Sandy.

Split str/agi builds with medium armor and pike are the way I play it. Fast enough to keep up with any teammate and fast enough to get away from a bad situation quickly.

Offline LEKIS

• Earl
  • Renown: 359
  • Infamy: 58
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Lekismurderer
  • IRC nick: Lekis
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2016, 05:33:06 am »
+5
Fuck you, Sandy.

Split str/agi builds with medium armor and pike are the way I play it. Fast enough to keep up with any teammate and fast enough to get away from a bad situation quickly.

Fuck you, Relit!

STR whore is the way to go. Why would you run when you are the bad situation?  8-)
The day will come! Hordes of communist mechanical bears mounted by muslim liberal gay black in spanishs, bringing destruction to the visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Land Of The Free . Prepare yourself America!

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2016, 07:39:46 am »
Have 4 PS (and 150 Polearm)... but seem to keep glancing with my Long Spear!

You have 4 powerstrike yet only 150 polearm prof? What did you DO? Anyway yeah you need to double that powerstrike.
I don't know enough

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2016, 04:37:01 pm »
You have 4 powerstrike yet only 150 polearm prof? What did you DO? Anyway yeah you need to double that powerstrike.

Because I had 190 1-Hand.  The part I left out about the build was that I had a sai & a buckler.  This was meant to be a weird, different-from-the-norm, build.

The idea was to carry a Long Spear to run-around with the group.  When separated, or dueling, I'd drop the long spear and go sai & buckler (only using said because it doesn't have penalty with shield).  And I didn't want to go Hoplite (as I've done that before).  I wanted to truly be support when in a group... but have weird, fast, stabby, light-shield carrying action when going solo.  Also the sai can block when the buckler breaks... so it made for a fun build.

However, the Long Spear part just wasn't working out.  I could hit anything.  I was pretty certain that the 150 wpf was fine.  But I figure my glancing must be coming from the lack of PS.  Which you guys confirmed.

So that's the rest of the story...

Offline sF_Guardian

• Marshall
  • Renown: 738
  • Infamy: 254
  • cRPG Player
  • In honour of Pepe the kindest baguette
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sad Hobo Guild, Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Peso, Dondergod, Hobo_loves_Pepe, Ras_Putin_the_stronk, FrenchBow_le_tarlouze, Forrest_Trump...
  • IRC nick: Peso
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2016, 09:30:39 pm »
+1
30/15 or 33/15 is the way to go imo.
Str is king atm and if you can block halfway decently your results should be good.
Just stick with your teammates as you shaould anyways as a piker and wear heavy armour to be able to tank some hits. Pike and armour slow you down a LOT so going for a balanced or agi centered build won't be any good. Unless you go heavy agi and want to play like an annoying bee which is alot of fun but not very efficient from my experience.
I don't want to give a feedback to molly neither i want to ban him,I wanted to give advise high authorities to take his admin rights.Panos you monkey wrench where would u put this topic enlighten me you cancer fuck.

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2016, 11:08:38 am »
+3
Its always gonna be better to use the bamboo spear if you are going agi anyway, slows you less and you get that overhead for when all your weak ass teammates die and you have to kill the last 7 guys yourself.
I don't know enough