Author Topic: Quick Question: Shield or No Shield?  (Read 6150 times)

Offline Yeldur

• Global Head Retard
  • Duke
  • Renown: 574
  • Infamy: 189
  • cRPG Player
  • Trained by Nord BlueKnight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen, Burg Krems, Acre
  • Game nicks: ladoea, Yeldur
Re: Quick Question: Shield or No Shield?
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2016, 03:31:19 pm »
Right now? Shield.

Server is full to the brim almost every day with cancerchers and being a shielder is basically the only way to beat them (Even then it's still fucking annoying to do) but it gets better from having a shield.
Definitely go for a shield if you don't want your head to be full of cancerous arrows.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

he,  the god admin.  drink the tea, not ascared to  fight in th  batefield,

Offline Rico

• King
  • Renown: 1021
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rico, Mila
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2016, 05:27:24 pm »
+4
Server is full to the brim almost every day with cancerchers and being a shielder is basically the only way to beat them
people who aren't shielders or ranged are users of these

pretty much sums up current 2h/pole meta apart from the occassional longsword or mercenary sword
enjoy your shield
Streaming cRPG, Supreme Commander and Age of Empires II on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/HeavenTV

Offline Screaming Idiot

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: HoC_Screaming_Idiot
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2016, 07:24:00 pm »

pretty much sums up current 2h/pole meta apart from the occassional longsword or mercenary sword
enjoy your shield

8 ATH s key meta lol

In all seriousness, people have been resistant to change because they don't want to step outside their comfort zone in regards to their tactics, so they instead switch weapons to better punish people who are not 2h "heroes." IMHO, NA1 isn't really a very accurate portrayal of what cRPG is all about: teamwork.
That's the main reason I prefer Strat, since it's much more objective driven AND you have to work with what you have, which is especially true now since it's still early Strat.

Offline Yeldur

• Global Head Retard
  • Duke
  • Renown: 574
  • Infamy: 189
  • cRPG Player
  • Trained by Nord BlueKnight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen, Burg Krems, Acre
  • Game nicks: ladoea, Yeldur
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2016, 10:50:14 pm »

enjoy your shield
Precisely why I mentioned that it was still fucking hard to do :p
But yeah, it's a shit META atm..

he,  the god admin.  drink the tea, not ascared to  fight in th  batefield,

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1488
  • Infamy: 457
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: King James IV, John IV, Temujin of the Wolves, William III
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2016, 04:43:39 pm »
+2
Or just do this.

But yeah take a shield. Its amazing for group fights and helps vs ranged. If you dont want the shield, you can always drop it or not equip it. At least 4 shield, 5 is better, which isn't much overall.

+3 Hand is OP

Offline AwesomeHail

• Earl
  • Renown: 477
  • Infamy: 49
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • Blaze it nerds
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries.
  • Game nicks: Hail, lol, Kankerhoer etc
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2016, 05:43:13 pm »
Knightly Arming Sword and Short sword (+3 104 speed  :lol:) and some more

1h no shield is fun, but only when theres not too much ranged around.
27/21 swashbuckler OP
Your binary primitive low capacity of thinking is not relevant.

Offline Dolphin

• Earl
  • Renown: 375
  • Infamy: 22
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Can you find my secret ?
  • Faction: The Joyous Raider
  • Game nicks: DoIphin, Siff and some alts
  • IRC nick: Dolphin
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2016, 02:25:26 pm »
Knightly Arming Sword and Short sword (+3 104 speed  :lol:) and some more

1h no shield is fun, but only when theres not too much ranged around.
27/21 swashbuckler OP

I am on the band wagon no shield with 1h is best 1h style.

The only plus i have with the shield is that it can block ranged and that is the only thing i have used it for, because 1h without shield is better in every other field, your nudges are to.
In a fight the shield fucks with my playstyle as i am quite agressive with chambers, spam and nudges and shield block delay fucks that up for me.

Swashbuckler highfive to swashbucklers !

Offline Gryph_Hawkshade

• Count
  • Renown: 173
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • Thanks for coming out.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Acre
  • Game nicks: Gryphter & Rypht
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2016, 05:24:35 pm »
I like shields but in my experience some of the long polearms and 2handers can sometimes get beyond/around your shield.

It feels like when you have a shield it makes it so that your block is a little further out from character than if your blocking with a weap, allowing people to get behind the shield sometimes if they hug you and have that good reach.

Some really good archers will shoot below your shield and hit ur footsiez too.

If you see something that has bonus against shield or crushthrough its a good idea to throw it on your back.
I laugh when I see people double shield, totally ruins accel / run speeds, not sure if that still applies.

Its kind of hard to notice a big diff between 3-6 shielding, ive tried 7 shield pts once, but it didnt ever really compensate for that tiny block delay. Or that minor delay from shield up to attack.

1hand dueling is def. pretty good, altho, ive seen alota 2h spammies outswing 1handers witha kinghtly arming sword and other such spamitars.

These days tho im a little more focused on weaps that are good against plate heroes. Its kinda frustrating to 1h duel someone and hit them 5-6 times w/ 24 str and still not kill em.  Guess you gotta have the patience and perserverence to 1h/shield....

Fighting axe was one of my fav 1hand weaps, good reach & speed w/fair dmg.  Hate bein outreached constantly thou...
Man with hands in pants all day, feels....
Cocky.

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2016, 03:35:56 am »
Get shield skill, but don't force yourself to always carry/use one. They are fantastic against ranged, and not being able to hold up a shield in strat is a huge mistake.

But, speed is the key to winning 1v1 or small group fights with a 1H weapon. Like others have said, shields are slower than manual blocks. Blocking manually makes it easier to drop your block and do some fancy footwork. You need to be able to move in and out of range, sidestep, etc. when you play 1H in small fights.

In big blob teamfights, use your shield. There are too many attacks to react to all of them manually. Helps your allies too.

My favorite 1H weapons are those with high speed and a strong thrust attack. Side sword, Scottish sword, Milanese sword, long espada eslavona. Being able to attack faster than your opponent is the best attribute of 1H, so push that advantage as much as you can with item stats. Good thrust damage is vital for fighting tincans. You can beat them with swings, but you are handicapping yourself.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 03:56:01 am by WITCHCRAFT »

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Screaming Idiot

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: HoC_Screaming_Idiot
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2016, 03:56:37 am »
+1
Get shield skill, but don't force yourself to always carry/use one. They are fantastic against ranged, and not being able to hold up a shield in strat is a huge mistake.

But, speed is the key to winning 1v1 or small group fights with a 1H weapon. Like others have said, shields are slower than manual blocks. Blocking manually makes it easier to drop your block and do some fancy footwork. You need to be able to move in and out of range, sidestep, etc. when you play 1H in small fights.

In big blob teamfights, use your shield. There are too many attacks to react to all of them manually. Helps your allies too.

My favorite 1H weapons are those with high speed and a strong thrust attack. Side sword, Scottish sword, Milanese sword, long espada eslavona. Being able to attack faster than your opponent is the best attribute of 1H, so push that advantage as much as you can with item stats. Good thrust damage is vital for fighting tincans. You can beat them with swings, but you are handicapping yourself.

uh thanks but its been like a month since i first opened this thread witchcraft

i mean jeez if u wanna talk to me so badly you can pm me or get my steam, senpai  :oops:

Offline Nickleback

• Hero of The Chamber of Tears
  • Earl
  • Renown: 338
  • Infamy: 263
  • cRPG Player
  • Sheogorath -a Daedra Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2016, 07:37:35 am »
boi forget about shield shield is for my old friendz, and rico gtfo you are out of your element.