Author Topic: Quick Question: Shield or No Shield?  (Read 6151 times)

Offline Screaming Idiot

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: HoC_Screaming_Idiot
Quick Question: Shield or No Shield?
« on: February 11, 2016, 03:35:53 pm »
+1
What's better, 1h with a shield or 1h without a shield?

Post your opinion below and, if you'd like, publish your favorite 1h build!

Offline Duster

• Marshall
  • Renown: 730
  • Infamy: 89
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mr_Pibb, Mellow_Yellowtf
Re: Quick Question: Shield or No Shield?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 03:40:34 pm »
+3
1h no shield is fun and challenging, but with the way ranged is nowadays it's suicide to go without one. currently working towards 24/21 5 shield on my main ATM and it tears shit up.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Gurgumul

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 04:24:07 pm »
+1
yes

The way I see it, 1h gives you the opportunity to have a shield, so why not use it?

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 04:58:22 pm »
+3
You only really need 4 shield skill to be "a shielder," so why not invest those points into shield rather than topping off IF? 4 IF can't save you from multiple arrows, while 4 shield skill can save you from many. It can also arguably help in a ganking situation depending on your footwork. I chose 4 shield skill over any IF in my build, but it still all comes down to personal preference.

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 06:25:44 pm »
+2
The benefit of 1h weapons is that your other hand is free.  If you aren't putting something in that hand, you may as well be fighting with it tied behind your back!

Yes, you can defend against ranged much better, and walk right up to them to engage.  It also helps when you are fighting more than one person in melee.  Take a shield for sure. 

My current build is 21/24.  It's pretty good.

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 09:02:21 pm »
+4
The benefit of 1h weapons is that your other hand is free.  If you aren't putting something in that hand, you may as well be fighting with it tied behind your back!

Yes, you can defend against ranged much better, and walk right up to them to engage.  It also helps when you are fighting more than one person in melee.  Take a shield for sure. 

My current build is 21/24.  It's pretty good.

Or just do this.

But yeah take a shield. Its amazing for group fights and helps vs ranged. If you dont want the shield, you can always drop it or not equip it. At least 4 shield, 5 is better, which isn't much overall.

Offline Rico

• King
  • Renown: 1021
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rico, Mila
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 09:16:11 pm »
Even steel buckler +3, which is one of the fastest shields, has a notable delay when blocking compared to no shield. So having a shield forces you to really anticipate instead of just react to attacks. I can relatively safely manually block most attacks including holds, feints and chambers, but I am bad at anticipating them. Shields are great for catching arrows, but in the actual melee I'd rather go without.

Comes down to preferences though.
Streaming cRPG, Supreme Commander and Age of Empires II on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/HeavenTV

Offline Screaming Idiot

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 11:03:42 pm »
+1
It would also be viable to drop/sheath the shield if you're going 1v1 to avoid the blocking delay. I started this thread mostly from observing peeps like Damatacus and Jayjrod wrecking shit. Also, what's your favorite 1h (mine's the Nordic Champion Sword)?

Offline Rico

• King
  • Renown: 1021
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rico, Mila
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 11:15:33 pm »
+1
what's your favorite 1h?
Espada Eslavona, Wakizashi, Niuweidao
Streaming cRPG, Supreme Commander and Age of Empires II on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/HeavenTV

Offline Utrakil

• Marshall
  • Renown: 885
  • Infamy: 182
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Randwig; Gerwin; Marketenderin; Fletcher
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 11:18:51 pm »
+1
langes messer for beeing well rounded. ;
Iron War axe for shieldbreakin, highest damageoutput and piercing end against tincans.

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 11:50:36 pm »
+1
In my experience being able to block all directions at once is better than an un-noticeable blocking delay.  Better at defeating spammy players anyways.  Heck, I've used the steel shield (slowest) for a long time and raaarely notice or am effected by the "slow" speed.  Just don't get tricked by feints. 

My favorite 1h are many--but I prefer short powerful weapons (axe, mace, hammer) cuz they really put people down.  Lately the iron battle axe is my buddy.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 05:27:55 pm »
+1
In my experience being able to block all directions at once is better than an un-noticeable blocking delay.  Better at defeating spammy players anyways.  Heck, I've used the steel shield (slowest) for a long time and raaarely notice or am effected by the "slow" speed.  Just don't get tricked by feints. 

My favorite 1h are many--but I prefer short powerful weapons (axe, mace, hammer) cuz they really put people down.  Lately the iron battle axe is my buddy.

Agreed for the most part, but the delay is noticeable (not on the first block, but when you drop your block and then try to re-block right away, there is a delay that lags behind the animation). 

I also like the shorter 1h weapons that either do more cut damage, or have blunt/pierce damage, but you pretty much need at least 5 or 6 athletics, and can't be wearing a ton of armor (stay under heavy medium/medium-heavy armor), otherwise it's too easy for opponents to s-key out of your range and into theirs.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Screaming Idiot

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2016, 09:42:20 pm »
+1
Agreed for the most part, but the delay is noticeable (not on the first block, but when you drop your block and then try to re-block right away, there is a delay that lags behind the animation). 

I also like the shorter 1h weapons that either do more cut damage, or have blunt/pierce damage, but you pretty much need at least 5 or 6 athletics, and can't be wearing a ton of armor (stay under heavy medium/medium-heavy armor), otherwise it's too easy for opponents to s-key out of your range and into theirs.

True that. I struggled with using a shield at first 'cause I was trying to feint my attacks too much, something that doesn't really work with any shield besides a MS Buckler. The trick is to mostly abuse shield width to step around opponents and use holds to either outspeed or outsmart them. So far the Champion Nord Sword is great for its cutting power and length, thoughI am considering using a Warhammer for that sweet knockdown and stab abuse or the One Handed Axe to counter other shielders or plate crutchers.

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2016, 10:34:26 pm »
+2
Just keep in mind when contemplating a new weapon that knockdown on 1handed weapons doesn't lead to a follow up attack all that often since if your opponent rolls away your 1hander is too short to reach them before they can block. Sometimes a warhammer stab can do the trick, but that isn't exactly the most damaging option. Sometimes getting the knockdown can work against you if you're facing off against some S-keyer with a long weapon since giving them a roll basically allows them to retreat for free, and you'll need to close the gap yet again.

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Screaming Idiot

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2016, 05:21:31 am »
Just keep in mind when contemplating a new weapon that knockdown on 1handed weapons doesn't lead to a follow up attack all that often since if your opponent rolls away your 1hander is too short to reach them before they can block. Sometimes a warhammer stab can do the trick, but that isn't exactly the most damaging option. Sometimes getting the knockdown can work against you if you're facing off against some S-keyer with a long weapon since giving them a roll basically allows them to retreat for free, and you'll need to close the gap yet again.

Right, right. I've seen that happen with a few people who used short knockdown weapons (Bar Mace, Maul, etc) and proceed to get stabbed from a mile away. However, knockdown is much more useful in a fight with 3+ people as it allows other people to get a hit in, especially poles/long 2h.

tbh my MW Champion Nordic Sword fits the bill quite well with a solid stab, superb cutting ability and a good reach (not like a paramerion tho). I've found the speed difference between medium to heavy shields to be negligible with 5 shield skill, besides using the absolute heaviest option available (steel shield, long pavise) but even then it's not so bad. Huscarl's shield works just fine for me in duels and NA1, though spammier 1handers using a scimmy/cleaver are a bit of a crapshoot to deal with regardless without relying on outranging them.